PDA

View Full Version : (50NL 6max) - TP in position vs. PFraiser

bluefeet
10-25-2006, 09:47 AM
Hi guys, my first strategy post outside of STT. Three years on-line, I probably have less than 1k hands of ring...but I'm getting a little burned out with the everyday & I'd like to dabble more in ring -- hopefully a little better educated (with your help!). I think my biggest challenge will be transitioning from the uber-tight/premium mindset, to the 'these will do' w/positional advantage.

(I tried all four of the converters in the sticky with no luck...cleaned it up the best I could)

MP in this hand had been the most active of the bunch, always the same raise size, from various seats. I've done my share of unopened raising. I suspect MP feels I'm relatively LAG (which is a 1st for me /images/graemlins/wink.gif).

Basic line check I guess...from the PF call, to the passiveness post, to the river decision. Thanks in advance.

Full Tilt Poker
(6 max)
$0.25/$0.50 - No Limit Hold'em

UTG ($59.65)
MP ($67.05)
bluefeet ($47.85)
BTN ($49.25)
SB ($55.10)
BB ($50)

*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to bluefeet [Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif K/images/graemlins/heart.gif]
1 fold
MP raises to $1.75
bluefeet calls $1.75
3 folds

*** FLOP *** [2/images/graemlins/spade.gif T/images/graemlins/spade.gif Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif] (pot=$4.25)
MP bets $4.25
bluefeet calls $4.25

*** TURN *** [2/images/graemlins/spade.gif T/images/graemlins/spade.gif Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif] [3/images/graemlins/heart.gif] (pot=$12.75)
MP bets $12.75
bluefeet calls $12.75

*** RIVER *** [2/images/graemlins/spade.gif T/images/graemlins/spade.gif Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif] [K/images/graemlins/club.gif] (pot=$38.25)
MP checks
bluefeet ???

Percussion
10-25-2006, 09:52 AM
This is most certianly a bet, but I don't really see too many hands you beat on the turn, thats a pretty big turn bet. He could have an AsTc or an AsQc KsJh 22ttor QQ. I would probably bet about half the pot here, to try to get AQ or KJ to pay you off.

Grifter
10-25-2006, 09:56 AM
In the heat of the moment, I think I check behind, because the only hand that is calling you here that you beat is AsQx (maybe QT.) However, I do think you are ahead at this point, and I like to bet when I think I am ahead and there are hands that will call. You may get a desperation call from AK (one spade) or some other such sort of garbage. Ok, I've talked myself into valuebetting here. Maybe 15?

oh yeah, also. I really don't like your turn call. If you don't hit the perfect card on the river you could be in a really bad spot. And you could be drawing dead already. I love leading threeflush boards when I am flushed because people always think you are drawing.

subzero
10-25-2006, 09:57 AM
I don't like calling a preflop raise with KQo. If you hit top pair, you could be dominated. In cash games, you don't have to play this hand to a preflop raise. As played, bet the value for river. I'd bet around 1/2 pot.

dregal
10-25-2006, 10:07 AM
I think preflop is ok...if you think he has a decently wide opening range I don't think 3 betting sometimes is bad either.

As for post flop, I may just muck the turn. He has shown strength on 3 consecutive streets with a scary looking board out there. All we have is TPGK with no real redraw.

River is I prob check behind...VB here seems kinda sorta thin. Meh, maybe I'm just too weak tight /images/graemlins/blush.gif

GtrHtr
10-25-2006, 10:07 AM
This is just for you.

Fold preflop, RIO and all that, even with position. As you start off in 6 max, its easier to fold this and then get your head around how to move forward with it later. Obv if ur first in, raise pf.

next, fold the flop. You fold the flop here or raise, don't call and folding is much better than spewing. What range do you put him on here? You gotta start knowing where you are in the hand at this point.

Fold the turn. See above.

Shove the river, as played its really all you have left.

Hope this helps... remember, in these situations, fold pf. If they're soooted, maybe play them.

Gtr

uminchu
10-25-2006, 10:14 AM
i dont mind the PF call, on flop i think its raise or fold, as played i think i push river, since he obviously is behind but like everyone has said very few hands call you down

NH though

melioris
10-25-2006, 10:23 AM
if you are going to call a pfr with KQo (know that you are playing it because you have position, as it is not a strong hand to call a pfr with for hand value) then reraise. I think it is fold>reraise>>call in this spot. If you reraised preflop then you can punish instead of playing like a calling station.

As played preflop, raise the flop, at least to 10-12. You got to get control of this hand. Floating is not an option.

As played on the flop, raise the turn. See above.

As played on the turn, the river is tricky I think. You probably are ahead here so you should probably value bet-10-15 (anything larger and you should just push-why value bet 20 and leave 10 behind?) I am not sure a hand that you have beat is calling here and there might be more value gained in seeing the cards here, and showing your poorly paired miracle river-to entice more action later. But this only works if you know at the time that you played the hand poorly.

Oh, and I can't believe that no one has said it yet-Never have less than a full buyin in your stack. Seriously, reload after the blinds go by. It is a mantra around these parts.

GtrHtr
10-25-2006, 11:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Oh, and I can't believe that no one has said it yet-Never have less than a full buyin in your stack. Seriously, reload after the blinds go by. It is a mantra around these parts.

[/ QUOTE ]

meh, he's close to needing to rebuy, I'd go one more orbit more often than not.

pokerchap
10-25-2006, 12:14 PM
obviously bet here! you pretty much hit your dream card.

i think i find a fold on this turn.

gumpzilla
10-25-2006, 01:15 PM
bluefeet,

I think you'll enjoy the transition. I've been moving over to ring, and the prospect of going back to SNGs isn't very appealing to me.

The call PF is fine, in my opinion. At 6max NL50 tables KQ is a pretty solid holding, and with position you'll be able to play some pot control in situations where your TP might be dominated.

I'm torn between calling and raising on the flop. At first I thought I would raise, but then I realized that a naked A /images/graemlins/spade.gif probably 3bets us off our hand at that point, so I'm not so wild about that. So, I like calling, with the plan of folding to action if a fourth spade comes.

The turn call seems pretty good. (EDIT: Strictly because the flop was monotone. Without the flush draw there I would dump on the turn, given this action.) Once he checks behind on the river, I think his most likely holdings are AQ, or A /images/graemlins/spade.gif J (or AQ with the spade), something like that. Is AQ paying off a river bet? I'm not sure. A bet here out of you looks either flushy or KQ and not too much in between, so I'd be folding a ton unless the bet was small. That said, the only things he's liable to have that beats you given how this was played are sets, and he might call with a weaker two pair. So maybe a river bet is in order. Make it about 1/2 pot. (EDIT AGAIN: Hoping for a call out of AQ and weaker two pair to make up for the sets you run into. But I think the bet is pretty thin, and checking behind can't be too bad.)

bluefeet
10-25-2006, 01:31 PM
Thanks for the tips guys. I had no idea about the rebuy...makes perfect sense of course having it pointed out.

I did donk bet 10 bucks behind successfully, but yeah...the whole thing didn't smell too good.

I can certainly see folding at ANY point, and clearly the merits of raising PF,Flop,Turn as well. This hand probably isn't the best illustration, but in ring - where we're generally facing aggression on all fronts, I'm wondering where there might be value in maintaining the calling posture vs. taking impetus with a hand that we are not completely committed to. I know...very vague thought /images/graemlins/wink.gif

I'll be on the lookout for stuff like this to post.

jgunnip
10-25-2006, 04:27 PM
welcome to ring you boobie! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I only call KQo here if I know villan to be fairly weak post flop (ie doesn't fire two barrels often, shuts down to scare cards) and I'd play the flop the same way against said villan.

Personally I like to two barrel monotone flops when I'm the pfr with a very wide range since I usually take it down on the turn when a blank hits, but at 50nl I don't think many of the oppoents are taking this line without at least TPTK.