PDA

View Full Version : NL10 Set on turn, what's my play?

joe023948
10-25-2006, 04:14 AM
Prima Poker skin
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.05/$0.10
8 players
Converter (http://www.neildewhurst.com/hand-converter)

Stack sizes:
UTG: $5.28
UTG+1: $18.23
MP1: $25.06
MP2: $13.64
CO: $16.35
Hero: $5.50
SB: $31.39
BB: $9.03

Pre-flop: (8 players) Hero is Button with 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 7/images/graemlins/club.gif
UTG calls, 3 folds, Hero calls, SB calls, BB checks.

Flop: 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif ($0.4, 5 players)
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, Hero checks.

Turn: 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif ($0.4, 5 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">BB bets $0.1</font>, <font color="#cc0000">UTG raises to $0.5</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $1</font>, 2 folds, <font color="#cc0000">UTG raises all-in $4.68</font>, Hero ?

SykoraG
10-25-2006, 04:20 AM
I am definately calling. At these low levels I wouldn't be surprised to see vilain holding Two pair or TPw/ Straight Draw. Altought it is also likely again that villain has 6 5 or jack 10, (often ... but not often enough to not call with a set considering we have many outs to the fullhouse). This is from my experience of having played about 10k hands at 10NL.

CaucasianAsian29
10-25-2006, 04:34 AM
I'm raising Pre flop here- then likely C-betting the flop. You'd like to get rid of some of the callers PF. Then I raise all in on turn.

AJGibson
10-25-2006, 05:10 AM
By in for a full stack, raise pf.

In wouldn't bet the flop into three people very often, maybe if the table was weak.

On the turn I think it's fairly likely that villain has the straight, why else would that 7 have got him so excited. But you're getting nearly 2:1 and you do have 10 outs to the boat. I think it's fairly close, I'm not sure the villain does this often enough, without the staight, to make this call profitable.

tubasteve
10-25-2006, 05:11 AM
callcallcallcallcallcallcallcallcallcallcallcallca ll

buy in full, raise preflop, etc

joe023948
10-25-2006, 06:06 AM
77 sounds low for a raise? Do you know any good articles here which I could read about raising with low pocket pairs? My first thought is that if I raise, I just get calls from higher pocket pairs. What's the reasoning?

Btw, I buy-in with 5 because I don't have bankroll for nl10, and at the moment my money is stuck on this site. I can't see how bad it is?

AJGibson
10-25-2006, 06:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I just get calls from higher pocket pairs. What's the reasoning?

[/ QUOTE ]

You will get called by a much bigger range than just higher pocket pairs. Raising gives you the chance to cbet when the flop when you doesn't hit you. And you'll get the chance to win a bigger pot when you do hit a set.

There is a thread on poket pairs here (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&amp;Board=microplnl&amp;Number=7553590&amp; Searchpage=1&amp;Main=7552894&amp;Words=%2Bpocket+%2Bpairs +AJGibson&amp;topic=&amp;Search=true#Post7553590)

[ QUOTE ]
Btw, I buy-in with 5 because I don't have bankroll for nl10, and at the moment my money is stuck on this site. I can't see how bad it is?

[/ QUOTE ]

There is 5NL available on stars, so you could transfer your money there, you may also be interested in reading Ed Miller's small stack NL stragegy in GSIH.

Everlong
10-25-2006, 07:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
77 sounds low for a raise? Do you know any good articles here which I could read about raising with low pocket pairs? My first thought is that if I raise, I just get calls from higher pocket pairs. What's the reasoning?

[/ QUOTE ]

Please read the Essential collection thing at the top of this forum. All these questions are answered there (regarding pf play, buying in etc).

It will be well worth your time.

As for the hand there is no way you should consider anything but getting the rest of your stack in.

kabouter
10-25-2006, 08:09 AM
Buy in full stack or move down, I want to win at least 10dollars when I go all in /images/graemlins/wink.gif.
Besides that you got a good position, ok cards, just raise it up. And I would probably call this one, he might have a pocket pair in his hand, he's limping from a bad position though, so anything goes probably.

flowerizzle
10-25-2006, 08:35 AM
raise preflop, bet flop, turn is read dependand.but since ur ahead of most of his hands and have still outs against a straight i would call this.

Reef
10-25-2006, 08:43 AM
raise pf.

--
flop is fine. Raise turn to at least $2. as played EZ call (don't be results oriented)

joe023948
10-25-2006, 09:07 AM
Easy call. hmm. ok

So what's the range he could have..
I'm ahead: K9, K8, K7, 89, 87, 97
I'm behind: 99, 88, JT, 65

I'm also behind KK, but that's unlikely.

So, how do I go from here to a profitable decision? (try to bear with me please, I only have played about 1.5k nl hands /images/graemlins/smile.gif )

--

And let's not argue about buy-in size. There's no NL5 on the site I play on, and I can't remove my money until I play given amount of raked hands. If someone wants to argue about it, please present an argument too not just "because I say so". /images/graemlins/wink.gif

---

Oh, one another thing. How does the situation differ when considering all-in and redraw to full house, whether we are on flop or turn? As I understand, the situation is often very close on flop, but here we have only one card to come.

Raiseren1
10-25-2006, 09:14 AM
Raising preflop is the better play I think, but calling isn't a clear mistake. This is definately a call. I estimate the chance of an unknown nl10 player has the straight here is less than 60%. Maybe 55% of the time. And there is around 5% chance of him having a top set. The rest of the time he has some kind of to pair, KQ, draws. Your probably 90% favourite against those hands. And you only have to win 37% (or so) of the time because your getting good odds. And your probably winning around 50%+

brenno11
10-25-2006, 10:11 AM
definitally push all in. seeing top pair with top/good kicker a lot here

Everlong
10-25-2006, 10:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]

And let's not argue about buy-in size. There's no NL5 on the site I play on, and I can't remove my money until I play given amount of raked hands. If someone wants to argue about it, please present an argument too not just "because I say so". /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I still think reading the stuff suggested is essential. But OK:

1. The smaller your stack the more tight you need to be pf - to the point when small enough you are basically in push or fold mode.

It is also pretty hard to bluff with nothing behind since you are essentially always playing for stacks on any given hand.

And if/when you finally arrive at that crucial "stack-the-donk" hand - you will not take his entire monies...just $5 worth...

2. By having a tiny stack you are not giving the bigstacks implied odds to draw against you / set mine etc. It is harder to turn a profit when you aren't getting any action.

That's off the top of my (empty) head. I am sure someone whoa ctually knows what they are talking about can chime in.

joe023948
10-25-2006, 10:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Easy call. hmm. ok

So, how do I go from here to a profitable decision? (try to bear with me please, I only have played about 1.5k nl hands /images/graemlins/smile.gif )

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe I'll try to put this another way... What were the villains possible losing hands, and as this is apparently a call, what possible situation would be a fold when hero has a set? It's starting to sound a lot like one should always push with a set? /images/graemlins/blush.gif

joe023948
10-25-2006, 04:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Easy call. hmm. ok

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe I'll try to put this another way... What were the villains possible losing hands, and as this is apparently a call, what possible situation would be a fold when hero has a set? It's starting to sound a lot like one should always push with a set? /images/graemlins/blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/confused.gif