PDA

View Full Version : NL25 - Re-raising light - FPS or good here?

Everlong
10-25-2006, 03:22 AM
I decided to go with some advise and search for hands where I am not sure I played good or bad..

<font color="blue"> Background here:
I almost never pull stuff like this but against this opponent sitting back waiting for premium hands just didn't cut it.

Villain is definately a good LAG and very aggressive. Our relative positions at the table make him a thorn in my side and I need to make some moves against him.

He has been forced to show down several sub-par hands in the 45 minutes we've played - so I definately have him on a wide range here. I'd rather take this hand and re-pop him than something like AQ since I think this hand is useful against his range. </font>

Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em, $.25 BB (6 handed) pokerhand.org hand converter (http://www.pokerhand.org)

UTG ($9.05)
MP ($32.30)
CO ($7.80)
Hero ($41)
SB ($29.55)
BB ($18.90)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $0.85</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2.9</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP calls $2.05.

<font color="blue"> He flat-calls preflop - which for him definately takes out the highest end of his range... </font>

Flop: ($6.15) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero ...</font><font color="white">bets $6.15, MP folds.

Final Pot: $12.30</font>

<font color="blue"> I haven't seen him check-raise flop at all so I am 90% confident he whiffed. Other than the King the flop looks pretty harmless.

Any thoughts? Suggestions on how to tackle him in a less risky way? (results in white...)</font>

CaseS87
10-25-2006, 03:23 AM
well you definately have to c-bet the flop.

Lyons
10-25-2006, 03:26 AM
I guess reraising this PF depends on your style - i rarely do it with one gappers. Against your logic, I would much prefer to do it with AQ. As played, you must cbet flop.

Leviathan101
10-25-2006, 03:29 AM
C-bet the flop and represent AK. He'll probably fold unless he made a strong hand.

Sir Winalot
10-25-2006, 04:00 AM
I would def. c-bet here about 4-5 after the re-raise. If he's as good as you think he'll fold anything that missed, depending a little on your image. If you've been playing TAGgish I think he'll have you on QQ+, AK, maybe AQ+, TT+.

Everlong
10-25-2006, 04:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I guess reraising this PF depends on your style - i rarely do it with one gappers. Against your logic, I would much prefer to do it with AQ. As played, you must cbet flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="blue">You are probably right with the AQ still fairing better against the LAG opening range. I think I may suffer a little from my MTT days and notions of re-stealing with sc:s /gappers. </font>

[ QUOTE ]
....If you've been playing TAGgish I think he'll have you on QQ+, AK, maybe AQ+, TT+.

[/ QUOTE ] <font color="blue"> Yes. This is what I am trying to represent here.</font>

avfletch
10-25-2006, 04:49 AM
If he's a good LAG and has you on a tight range then he's playing fit or fold most of the time here. So as long as you don't give him reason to think you're weak you should be fine.

Obviously this will change if you keep making moves against him but first time out he pretty much has to give you credit for strength here.

tubasteve
10-25-2006, 05:15 AM
bet $4.50 on the flop, this is a nice hand

Wolfram
10-25-2006, 05:20 AM
C-bet 3/4 of the pot.

This is a good way to handle a LAG who raises light. 3bet him preflop and take it down when checked to you.

When he catches on to you, you have to start second barrelling which can be dangerous and expensive. If he catches on to that and starts raising you with air you have to change gears and play tight again and then call/raise him with a real hand.

Isn't poker fun /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jigsaws
10-25-2006, 06:23 AM
Not necessary to bet full pot unless you always bet full pot.

Everlong
10-25-2006, 06:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Not necessary to bet full pot unless you always bet full pot.

[/ QUOTE ]
I usually do - so I didn't dare do otherwise here...

Further:

Let's say he finds a call here. Do we shut down 100% of the time?

Wolfram
10-25-2006, 07:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Let's say he finds a call here. Do we shut down 100% of the time?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
good LAG and very aggressive

[/ QUOTE ]
That's a very tough spot to be in. It really depends on what card comes in on the turn and his action. You need to put him on a hand range and act accordingly. For this flop a call would suggest:
(a) He hit the king (but is afraid you have AK)
(b) He has 88-QQ (and doesn't want to give up yet)
(c) He's on a flush draw.
(d) He's slow playing a set or AA.
(d) He's a maniac who's reverse floating you.

I think most good LAGs will give up on the turn to a pot sized bet if they don't improve. But I'm always amazed how often people just decided "you don't have it" and call you down with middle pair, overpairs lower than top pair etc.

Personally, I second barrell very rarely at µNL and think it's very risky. But I it's very profitable if you're good at it (and have a good read).

Reef
10-25-2006, 08:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
bet $4.50 on the flop

[/ QUOTE ]

josh_x
10-25-2006, 10:46 AM
pf is cool once in a while.

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="blue"> I haven't seen him check-raise flop at all so I am 90% confident he whiffed.</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are truly 90% confident he whiffed then this is the easiest bet ever on the flop. And make a note on him and start isolating him pf and collect his money via his terribly bad flop strategy.

An added thought, if you are really 90% sure, then you should definately consider checking behind then raising on the turn. This is dedpendant obv on how likely he is to bluff the turn if you check behind, but if you think it's very likely then check flop and raise turn.