PDA

View Full Version : A protest in DC on Nov 3

demon102
10-25-2006, 02:56 AM
I looked around for a post about this and didnt find one. Apparently there is a protest scheduled on Nov 3 and 4, I just heard of it from the full tilt talk to the pros room. Perry Freidman brought it up while he was taking questions, this is the first Ive heard of it. Have any of u guys heard about this protest and are any of u planing on going? Here is a link to a site that talks about it. http://onlinegamblingrights.com/

demon102
10-25-2006, 09:32 PM
So no one is going to the protest or have heard about this protest? Thats pretty sick man and out of 92 viewers there is no replies I dont get it.

illeagle
10-25-2006, 09:45 PM
I viewed. I don't live anywhere DC though.

Jeffage
10-25-2006, 09:51 PM
I live in the area and may check it out if I'm not in AC that weekend.

Jeff

Nikoms
10-25-2006, 11:01 PM
I live in Chicago /images/graemlins/frown.gif

DrewOnTilt
10-25-2006, 11:15 PM
jeebus that website makes my eyes ache.

I applaud the effort, though I hope that they higher a graphic designer to redo their horrific looking site.

Python49
10-26-2006, 09:09 AM
LOL all of these people pissed off about the internet gambling ban and nobody who wants to go to a protest to do anything about it.

4_2_it
10-26-2006, 09:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
LOL all of these people pissed off about the Internet gambling ban and nobody who wants to go to a protest to do anything about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

In all fairness, organizing a protest takes a lot of work. It is something that an organization (PPA?) with tens of thousands of members needs to do.

Also, the protest should be done when Congress is in session, not when they are campaigning.

Indiana
10-26-2006, 09:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
LOL all of these people pissed off about the Internet gambling ban and nobody who wants to go to a protest to do anything about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

In all fairness, organizing a protest takes a lot of work. It is something that an organization (PPA?) with tens of thousands of members needs to do.

Also, the protest should be done when Congress is in session, not when they are campaigning.

[/ QUOTE ]

I play poker and read these forums everyday. The fact that I haven't heard of this protest means to me that it isn't well organized or marketed in the poker community. We do need a protest/march, but it has to be a good one for me to fly all the way down to DC.

Indy

MagCFO
10-26-2006, 11:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
LOL all of these people pissed off about the internet gambling ban and nobody who wants to go to a protest to do anything about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it's pretty comical. People come on here and bitch and complain, but they do nothing. Do they support lobbying groups like the PPA? Nope, just bitch about how the PPA lobby isn't strong enough and how it isn't helping.

Guys/gals, if you are pissed about the situation with online poker, you need to do something. If you can't be in DC, donate $20 to the PPA so they can increase their lobby.

Sitting back and doing nothing is the reason we're in this situation.

addictontilt
10-26-2006, 11:20 AM
Have to be honest - check the thread "i have a plan" there is a poll there, the prevailing attitude is that the PPA is not doing anything

4_2_it
10-26-2006, 11:45 AM
Most of the posters complaining about the PPA are members. They feel, as members, their organization let them down and lacks the capacity to help them in the future.

Based on the PPA's recent track record, it's hard to blame anyone who has this attitude.

MagCFO
10-26-2006, 03:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Most of the posters complaining about the PPA are members. They feel, as members, their organization let them down and lacks the capacity to help them in the future.

Based on the PPA's recent track record, it's hard to blame anyone who has this attitude.

[/ QUOTE ]

People are blaming the PPA for not stopping the bill. That's ridiculous.

There hasn't ever been a poker player lobby group before the PPA, pretty obvious why, don't you think?

You don't just start a group a few months before legislation happens and actually have a voice in congress. It takes a lot of time and a lot of money. Until poker players understand that, there won't ever be a voice for poker players or a lobby that is worth a crap.

You know how many poker player associations have been started? Like a million and they've all failed for the exact reasons you see on this board. No one wants to support anything, they just want to complain about it. So then another association starts, then that one fails and we start all over again.

The PPA is the only thing close to an organization for poker players that might actually work.

/rant

Python49
10-26-2006, 03:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Like a million and they've all failed for the exact reasons you see on this board. No one wants to support anything, they just want to complain about it

[/ QUOTE ]
I know people who complain about online poker being possibly banned but wouldn't even take the time to pick up a phone and call a congressman, won't even vote, and won't even join the PPA. People like this are the worst form of stupid that comes to mind.

4_2_it
10-26-2006, 03:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The intelligent ones aren't. Most of the reasonable criticism of the PPA comes from the lack of a business plan. There was no way they could stopped the add on to the Port Bill, but they had no plan B in place to go on once it was apparent what was happening.

I have no idea what their current plan is and I try to pay attention to this kind of stuff. That is my biggest frustration.

MagCFO
10-26-2006, 03:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The intelligent ones aren't. Most of the reasonable criticism of the PPA comes from the lack of a business plan. There was no way they could stopped the add on to the Port Bill, but they had no plan B in place to go on once it was apparent what was happening.

I have no idea what their current plan is and I try to pay attention to this kind of stuff. That is my biggest frustration.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you that it's not perfect.

Like you say, there was nothing they could have done to stop the bill, regardless if they had a plan B or not.

The best thing to do is for everyone to make suggestions, tell the PPA would you think they should be doing.

Unfortunitely, so many people have acted their age (I guess 13 or 14 y/o) towards Michael (the PPA pres) when he comes on this site, he probably won't come back.

4_2_it
10-26-2006, 04:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]

The best thing to do is for everyone to make suggestions, tell the PPA would you think they should be doing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. And many did that when Michael posted here.

[ QUOTE ]
Unfortunately, so many people have acted their age (I guess 13 or 14 y/o) towards Michael (the PPA pres) when he comes on this site, he probably won't come back.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this as well.

However, Michael has to have a thick skin because this audience (minus the trolls) will be a much easier sell than a congressman who is uncommitted.

I hope he rises above the knuckleheads and comes back. Lee Jones handles the idiots in the Zoo pretty well and Pokerstars is viewed more positively for it.

demon102
10-26-2006, 05:15 PM
I dont get y people are dogging the PPA at all, they sent people some big name pros and some people I dont remember. They went to DC and talked to members of congress about the possibility of taxing and regulating online poker months before this legislastion passed. When this legislation did pass the president of the PPA and some pros have been on a couple of shows talking about how they oppose this new legilation. The president of the PPA even took calls from people who were against this legilation and answered there questions and also just listened to how angry these people were about what they felt was and infringement on the freedoms. I think right now the PPA is probably brain storming and also taking ideas from there members before there next move.

Perry Friedman
10-26-2006, 07:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I looked around for a post about this and didnt find one. Apparently there is a protest scheduled on Nov 3 and 4, I just heard of it from the full tilt talk to the pros room. Perry Freidman brought it up while he was taking questions, this is the first Ive heard of it. Have any of u guys heard about this protest and are any of u planing on going? Here is a link to a site that talks about it. http://onlinegamblingrights.com/

[/ QUOTE ]

Check out this thread (http://www.fullcontactpoker.com/poker-forum/index.php?s=&showtopic=78350&view=findpost&p=14863 19) on another forum. I think it would be great to have march on Washington on Guy Fawkes day to proest the infringement of our liberties and freedoms. This issue is far bigger than just online gambling.

CallYNotRaise06
10-26-2006, 08:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
any of u guys heard about this protest and are any of u planing on going?

[/ QUOTE ]

rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble!

demon102
10-26-2006, 08:30 PM
kool thread perry and Im happy to see that u replied to my post soooooo koooolll /images/graemlins/smile.gif Perry for president!!!!!

Eponymous
10-26-2006, 08:48 PM
If you notice from most of the people signing the guestbook at the site for this protest and where the original notices from Ms. Richardson showed up, this group of people is primarily made up of online bingo players. We as online poker players don't want to be an afterthought in their rally. Secondly, and perhaps more importantly, our message of poker being a game of skill and not being subject to UIGEA is not consistent with pure games of chance like bingo. I want to attend a rally in DC regarding online poker. This is not it. We need a credible poker organization or individual(s) to lead a poker-specific rally.

Hock_
10-26-2006, 09:27 PM
I don't disagree with your criticisms or your assessment of the prevailing sentiment about the PPA, but take a look at the post I made a couple weeks ago about the long conversation I had with one of PPAs lobbyists. Seems like PPA is doing a lot more than we're aware of. No question it is a problem that we're not aware of it -- and I emphasized that repeatedly to the lobbyist -- but I think that PPA is not quite the completely inept organization that they often seem to be.

demon102
10-27-2006, 12:36 AM
I found hock's post and figured Id post it so everyone can read it too.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...rue#Post7702834 (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=law&Number=7702834&Search page=1&Main=7702834&Words=+Hock_&topic=&Search=tru e#Post7702834)

4_2_it
10-27-2006, 09:22 AM
Hock_

Nice post. I do not have an axe to grind against the PPA because they are our best hope. My hope is that they improve their communication process. I think they would be surprised at where they may find help.

demon102
10-31-2006, 08:14 PM
Yes I agree with u guys that said the PPA needs to keep there members (ME!!!!!) as well as poker players in every major forum of what they are up to. They would definitely get more credit as a force that reps poker and get so much more support. I think Im gonna e-mail them about this now.

Uglyowl
11-01-2006, 12:43 AM
Huge poker tournament and party in Atlantic City, followed by a trip to Washington DC to protest. All the Full Tilt pros, Pokerstars pros, etc. need to show up and do this right.

Someone has to make this happen.

cat923
11-01-2006, 02:28 AM
Believe this:

The Poker Players against Kyl which was started on this forum has energized the poker community.

This is the MOST EFFECTIVE method of protest against the unjust law that has sprung up.

All of the majesty of the gambling industry and all of the money has not been able to produce as much stir and attention as the few bucks we have donated.

The 81 players who have already donated are the best examples of the people putting their money where their mouth is.

The industry is rightfully frightened about upsetting the authorities. The industry has been impotent in organizing any protest.

Their best effort has been the PPA which has not produced anything of note. I do not believe I have heard from the PPA in several weeks.

We should be proud of ourselves and our fellow players who have taken it into our minds that SOMETHING must be done. This is the first expression of the outrage that we feel.

Gregg777
11-01-2006, 12:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I do not have an axe to grind against the PPA because they are our best hope.

[/ QUOTE ]

The PPA is definitely NOT our best hope.

4_2_it
11-01-2006, 12:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I do not have an axe to grind against the PPA because they are our best hope.

[/ QUOTE ]

The PPA is definitely NOT our best hope.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, since you made the statement, please enlighten us as to who is the best hope.

Gregg777
11-01-2006, 12:54 PM
The PPA isn't going to counter any legislation, they can't even compete with the US gambling lobby.

We have a better chance with the loopholes in the bill than anything the PPA will do.

MagCFO
11-01-2006, 01:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The PPA isn't going to counter any legislation, they can't even compete with the US gambling lobby.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well damn, it doesn't take much to realize they can't compete with the US gambling lobby. A little out numbered aren't we?

I've said it 100 times, but this is why we can't get a good organization together. There's been a 100 poker player organizations get together and fail because for some reason, all people want to do is bitch about them instead of support them. We'll never have a voice, other than the 81 people who fought a losing battle in the Kyl race (it's a lost cause, Kyl is way ahead).

I agree the PPA should keep every updated more, but instead of trashing them, let's do something about it. Maybe we should get a new PPA president.

poorolrich
11-01-2006, 01:11 PM
Why have they organized a protest when everybody is out of town campaigning. Why not protest when all Senators/Representatives our in town, especially after the elections since thing might be different as far as the make-up of Senators/Reps.

autobet
11-01-2006, 01:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

One thing they can do that wont take a lot of money is to act like a focal point to organize and direct the millions of poker players who want to play poker on the Internet. We need leadership from somewhere. A vocal group of 2-3 million voters can be a powerful thing, if organized, active and given direction.

Gregg777
11-01-2006, 04:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I agree the PPA should keep every updated more, but instead of trashing them, let's do something about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't trashing the PPA, simply responding to someone's statement that they were our "best hope".

Strongly agree they should update more often.

MagCFO
11-01-2006, 04:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why have they organized a protest when everybody is out of town campaigning. Why not protest when all Senators/Representatives our in town, especially after the elections since thing might be different as far as the make-up of Senators/Reps.

[/ QUOTE ]

Post of the Year.

Do the organizers of this event realize no one will be in washington on Nov 3.

Yeah, that's why we need someone like the PPA organizing these things.

galahad_187
11-01-2006, 08:45 PM
i'm a member of the ppa, if they (or any other real organization) organizes a real protest, with a suspected decient turnout. i'll drive 6 hrs to be there. Hell, i'll make as many signs as will fit in my car. but a little protest while nobody is around to really hear it won't do any good.

demon102
11-02-2006, 02:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i'm a member of the ppa, if they (or any other real organization) organizes a real protest, with a suspected decient turnout. i'll drive 6 hrs to be there. Hell, i'll make as many signs as will fit in my car. but a little protest while nobody is around to really hear it won't do any good.

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel ya man, I wish the ppa would at the very least send e-mails to their members and post in all the poker forums just to spin the idea of a protest in DC. I think that if they got a lot of feedback which I know they would get a ton and if they got everything planned while congrees was in session it could have an impact. I am wondering what there next move is.

Kevmath
11-02-2006, 04:33 PM
Here's an updated article (http://www.cardplayer.com/poker_news/article/3412) about the rally, with comments from the leader of this rally, Debbie Richardson.

RoundGuy
11-02-2006, 05:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
...with comments from the leader of this rally, Debbie Richardson.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it me, or is there something about this women that just doesn't feel right....

Eponymous
11-02-2006, 09:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is it me, or is there something about this women that just doesn't feel right....

[/ QUOTE ]

No, something's wrong here. She doesn't want us to know who she's really affiliated with. In the past, she seems to be more affiliated with online bingo players than anyone else. What's also weird is this article says it was just published, but it is written as if the bill is still on President Bush's desk waiting to be signed. Am I missing something?

Kevmath
11-02-2006, 09:38 PM
When she did her original protest on Columbus Day, reports were saying that she was getting in the face of Congressmen (who had been gone home to campaign), and going on about how the bill could still be changed before the President signs it. I know it's better than nothing, but she seems to be someone those involved with online poker shouldn't be dealing with as she's more tied into other less skillful areas of online gambling.

Perry Friedman
11-03-2006, 01:52 PM
I also pointed out on another forum that for someone attempting to organize a protest, she did not seem very media savy. I have not seen a word of this in any mainstream media. The only things I have seen are articles or postings on gambling sites. She should be issuing actual press releases and attempting to get high profile poker players/celebs to attend.

My suggesting of extending it to November 5 to include "Guy Fawkes Day" to garner more press was met with "well, I need to find out how many people will show up if I do that".

Well, the fact is, what you do is you ANNOUNCE the date first, get press, THEN people will show up. You don't wait to hear from the few dozen people who have heard about it and see if any of them can attend on the 5th.

This doesn't seem to be a very professionally organized endeavor and definitely seems sketchy to me as well.

If you check out her posts on Full Contact Forum (http://www.fullcontactpoker.com/poker-forum/index.php?s=&showtopic=78350&view=findpost&p=14863 42) you will see what I mean.

The_Scout
11-03-2006, 02:04 PM
So what's the word on this protest? Any turnout this time?

Kevmath
11-06-2006, 12:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So what's the word on this protest? Any turnout this time?

[/ QUOTE ]

http://onlinegamblingrights.com/files/protest_November_4th_3_op_800x600.jpg

4_2_it
11-06-2006, 11:36 AM
Did anyone go to this? Looks like fewer than 100 people.

spidey74
11-06-2006, 05:52 PM
It looks like a decent turnout. Does anyone know if this made it into the news in any way?

At the very least, we can use this picture as evidence when we talk to politicians.

Spidey