PDA

View Full Version : OOP AKs...

VorShot
10-24-2006, 08:39 PM
Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.05/$0.10
6 players
Converter (http://www.neildewhurst.com/hand-converter)

Stack sizes:
VorShot: $10
UTG+1: $8.45
CO: $4
Button: $5.85
SB: $6.35
BB: $10.45

Pre-flop: (6 players) VorShot is UTG with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif K/images/graemlins/spade.gif
<font color="#cc0000">VorShot raises to $0.5</font>, 2 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Button raises to $1</font>, 2 folds, VorShot calls $0.5 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was $1.65)</font>.
<font color="blue"> So there was a poster in late pos, so i decided to go ahead and make it 5X the BB...Button mini raises. I can close the action for another .50, and i decide to call here in attempts to hit an ace or king.

I'm normally a player that would rather fold AK preflop then play it for a big pot preflop. AK not only has to hit to be ahead, most hands worth raising like this are going to be ahead of my AK (even though only by a 55/45 difference.)

I know that people always say, "A read would be helpful" but if i had a read, this wouldn't be a hand that i had trouble playing. It's these hands where i don't have a read that i bring here.</font>

Dave I
10-24-2006, 08:42 PM
Not sure what your question is. Just calling the min-raise OOP is fine though. Do not even think of folding this for a min-raise.

evilempire
10-24-2006, 08:44 PM
Personally I would push since villian is kinda short. Calling is just as fine imo and pushing is more to help my image.

pokerchap
10-24-2006, 08:45 PM
push at 10NL!

VorShot
10-24-2006, 08:48 PM
Not asking to fold, what i'm asking is, call and look for an A or K, or reraise here?

VorShot
10-24-2006, 08:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
push at 10NL!

[/ QUOTE ]

Take either the coinflip or pay off AA/KK?

bmk67
10-24-2006, 08:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I'm normally a player that would rather fold AK preflop then play it for a big pot preflop. AK not only has to hit to be ahead, most hands worth raising like this are going to be ahead of my AK (even though only by a 55/45 difference.)

[/ QUOTE ]

AK is not just a drawing hand, especially heads up.

He may lead preflop, but as you say, it's only 55/45 and you're getting 3:1 on his donkish minraise. Folding here preflop is very -EV.

At this level, with his short stack, I'm often raising and sometimes pushing here.

matrix
10-24-2006, 08:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

AK is a monster hand preflop - you are a favourite over every other unpaired hand (and that's most of them) a coinflip with QQ- in OK shape vs KK (30/70 dog) and only a huge underdog to AA.

It doesn't *have* to hit to be ahead there are a lot of hands at $10NL that villains might play like this that we are totally crushing AT+ KT+

Call in position - reraise OOP most of the time.

bmk67
10-24-2006, 09:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Take either the coinflip or pay off AA/KK?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you think he has to have a pair here? And if he does have a pair, what makes you think he always calls?

You're a good favorite over any non-pair, close to even money against all but two pairs, 70/30 against KK and a huge dog to AA.

Calling means you have to have the best hand. Raising creates fold equity and makes many better hands fold.

ymu
10-24-2006, 09:08 PM
I'd probably put him all-in as he's so short and we're OK with a 45/55 situation. If I'd seen him make proper-sized reraises previously, I might call and evaluate the flop, but this makes life far too easy for him if he's likely to have &lt;KK or a weaker A.

Xanta
10-24-2006, 09:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]

AK is a monster hand preflop - you are a favourite over every other unpaired hand (and that's most of them) a coinflip with QQ- in OK shape vs KK (30/70 dog) and only a huge underdog to AA.

It doesn't *have* to hit to be ahead there are a lot of hands at $10NL that villains might play like this that we are totally crushing AT+ KT+

[/ QUOTE ]

Does this advice apply if we're playing a game with 100bb effective stacks?

It seems to me that raising OOP bloats the pot out of position, and will make the hand really tough to play if we don't hit on the flop.
Similarily, I would tend toward raising in position, as we can take down a nice pot with a cbet most of the times if he checks to us on the flop.

I have a lot of trouble playing AK AQ, is this thinking correct?

Vammakala
10-24-2006, 09:39 PM
I don't mind the call, but reraise isn't bad either. He only has half a stack afterall.

VorShot
10-24-2006, 10:17 PM
How the hand really went down...

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.05/$0.10
6 players
Converter (http://www.neildewhurst.com/hand-converter)

Stack sizes:
VorShot: $10
UTG+1: $8.45
CO: $4
Button: $5.85
SB: $6.35
BB: $10.45

Pre-flop: (6 players) VorShot is UTG with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif K/images/graemlins/spade.gif
<font color="#cc0000">VorShot raises to $0.5</font>, 2 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Button raises to $1</font>, 2 folds, VorShot calls $0.5 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was $1.65)</font>.

Flop: 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif A/images/graemlins/heart.gif 6/images/graemlins/club.gif ($2.15, 2 players)
VorShot checks, Button checks.

Turn: 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif ($2.15, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">VorShot bets $2.05</font>, Button calls.

River: Q/images/graemlins/club.gif ($6.25, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">VorShot bets $2.8</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Button calls all-in $2.8</font>.

Results:
Final pot: $11.85
<font color="#ffffff">VorShot showed As Ks</font>
<font color="#ffffff">Button mucks Tc Th</font>

I like the way i played it, with intent to check fold on any flop without a solid draw or an A or a K.

Good? Bad?

pokerchap
10-24-2006, 10:22 PM
why did you check the flop? to induce a bluff by a non ace?

as i said above i would of pushed PF. at 10NL I have seen some pretty crazy things calling me from my experience.

gimmetheloot
10-24-2006, 10:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
why did you check the flop? to induce a bluff by a non ace?

as i said above i would of pushed PF. at 10NL I have seen some pretty crazy things calling me from my experience.

[/ QUOTE ]

PF poosh.

Chap, flop check is standard. Its so KK-XX are more willing to pay off. Its a rr pot, and though a small RR, 2 streets is more than enough to get AI vs a 50BB shortie.

If you want to talk about it more, IM me sir.

VorShot
10-24-2006, 10:28 PM
Because it's a check to the raiser here. If he has a hand like AQ, he's going to bet here, and since he checked behind it's a good sign that he has a hand like KK-TT.

He also might think my bet is because he showed weakness, and be willing to call me down.

The check was to get the results that i ended up with.

EDIT: Oh...Thanks Gimme...that was what i was trying to say.

VorShot
10-25-2006, 04:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Does this advice apply if we're playing a game with 100bb effective stacks?

It seems to me that raising OOP bloats the pot out of position, and will make the hand really tough to play if we don't hit on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does anyone have anything to add about this comment?

Reraising seems odd, 2/3s of the time, we're going to end up with A high and that makes the other streets very hard to play.

josh_x
10-25-2006, 10:54 AM
If you've done some crazy stuff at the table pushing might be the best, i really think people will call with AJ sort of stuff if you have a sufficiently crazy image (and i don't think sufficiently necesarily means much) + pushing is def. +ev fun.

Panthro
10-25-2006, 10:58 AM
you played it well. I never push AK @ 10NL because there's no fold equity.