PDA

View Full Version : I floated, then I bluffed...

HumanACtor
10-24-2006, 07:34 PM
Villain is 37/9 over 200 hands in which he has held a 200bb-ish stack.

I had been fairly active lately and I had the feeling he was leading into my with any one of the three pairs on the flop, and that aces, kings and tens were good. His turn lead made me sure of this, but Im not sure about my turn call or river bluff.

Absolute Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.25/$0.50
6 players
Converter (http://www.neildewhurst.com/hand-converter)

Stack sizes:
UTG: $115.02
UTG+1: $23.86
CO: $28.55
Hero: $21.75
SB: $58.85
BB: $38.35

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is Button with K/images/graemlins/club.gif A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, CO calls, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $3</font>, SB folds, BB calls, 2 folds.

Flop: 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif J/images/graemlins/heart.gif Q/images/graemlins/club.gif ($7.25, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">BB bets $3.5</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif ($14.25, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">BB bets $2.5</font>, Hero calls.

River: 5/images/graemlins/club.gif ($19.25, 2 players)
BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $7</font>

Montezuma21
10-24-2006, 07:51 PM
you've represented strength preflop. that small flop bet really looks like he's trying to feel out the strength of your hand (maybe a J or a weak Q). A flop raise is good IMO, you can rep AA, KK, AQ or a set. a call isn't so bad either. As played you have to raise the turn: his turn bet screams draw or a mediocre hand angling for a cheap SD, so push AI. If you leave it til the river it looks like a bluff and he might very well call with marginal hands.

pokerchap
10-24-2006, 08:05 PM
don't c/c until river, it is just wierd. like montezuma said. either raise flop or turn or fold.

Hail Eris
10-24-2006, 08:06 PM
Raise the turn.

ajmargarine
10-24-2006, 08:07 PM
This is bad.

Have EMc reimburse your losses. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

mother_brain
10-24-2006, 08:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Raise the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is what i try to do sometimes. He'll call though and you're gonna have to make a potsized bet on the river to get him to fold his KJ. Sometimes he still wont fold it.

mother_brain
10-24-2006, 08:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

The way played is bad, but should get you some more calls on the river when you have a hand.

Metagame baby.

Marshall28
10-24-2006, 08:21 PM
this is a very bad flop to try to float ... there are too many hands that have u beat and its almost pointless to try to bluff at 50nl ...
flatcalling the flop is a blunder ... even if u catch an A or K u arent sure to be ahead ... i would pot his small bet on the turn with any hand. u cant let them get away with trying to see cards cheap which is obviously what hes doing. because of his bet on the turn i would probably guess that he has some piece of the flop and a draw since most 50nl players just dont bet their draws and if they do they bet them small.

otherwise, i think if u r planning to bet that river u have to raise the turn... nobody is gonna give u credit for aa or kk the way u played this hand, and even if u did have one of those and played the hand that way, i would pay u off since u should extract a whole lot more with a hand like that

Vammakala
10-24-2006, 08:24 PM
You will get called by any pair on the river /images/graemlins/wink.gif

mother_brain
10-24-2006, 08:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
its almost pointless to try to bluff at 50nl ...

[/ QUOTE ]

i've probably bluffed more people off of hands than you've won in your lifetime.

pokerchap
10-24-2006, 08:38 PM
bluffing is sexy if you are really good at it but 50NL is easily easily beatable without ANY bluffs.

gimmetheloot
10-24-2006, 09:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Vammakala
10-24-2006, 09:43 PM
Generally it's better to bluff in small pots and only play the bigger pots with bigger hands on these limits. Bluffing is absolutely fine in certain occasions, but generally you shouldn't be in a situation where you'd have to bluff with your whole stack in the first place.

That being said, calling flop and turn and then bluffing is a LOT worse than bluffing the turn. First off, your river bluff probably has to be bigger and has less effect - he could easily be checking "to a missed draw". Second, his turn bet is weaker than his flop bet was. I think this is great spot to bluff raise. If you get called, I'd recommend NOT trying to take it on the river, he's most likely to call if he calls turn raise.