PDA

View Full Version : This one kept me from paying attention the rest of philosphy class

Fiksdal
10-23-2006, 04:09 PM
You've been captured by a sadistic maniac.

He takes you into a room where he holds 10 other people captured. He gives you a revolver, and tells you that if you do not pick one of these 3. choices within 20 minutes, the 11 of you will all be tortured for a week, and then die.

1. Shoot yourself.
2. Pick one of the other 10, and shoot that person.
3. Shoot everybody but yourself.

What would you do and why? I kinda made up my mind, and might eventually reveal what I myself would do.

(PS: I know this problem is just sick, and I understand if this post doesn't get any replies./images/graemlins/crazy.gif)

tolbiny
10-23-2006, 04:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You've been captured by a sadistic maniac.

He takes you into a room where he holds 10 other people captured. He gives you a revolver, and tells you that if you do not pick one of these 3. choices within 20 minutes, the 11 of you will all be tortured for a week, and then die.

1. Shoot yourself.
2. Pick one of the other 10, and shoot that person.
3. Shoot everybody but yourself.

What would you do and why? I kinda made up my mind, and might eventually reveal what I myself would do.

(PS: I know this problem is just sick, and I understand if this post doesn't get any replies./images/graemlins/crazy.gif)

[/ QUOTE ]

Shoot the sadisticmaniac?

hmkpoker
10-23-2006, 04:13 PM
Does option 2 guarantee my release?

valenzuela
10-23-2006, 04:14 PM
im basically asking for any volunteers, and then I will simply kill whoever looks the oldest person to me.( Im really young btw)

Fiksdal
10-23-2006, 04:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No matter what option you choose, anyone alive after your shot(s) will be released.

traz
10-23-2006, 04:23 PM
Why would I do anything besides option 2?

vhawk01
10-23-2006, 04:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Or at the VERY least why would anyone choose 3? Seriously, anyone who chooses 3 needs to be kicked in the balls.

lastchance
10-23-2006, 04:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
QFT. Shoot the person with the lowest life expectancy/no people who care about them/quality of life.

Fiksdal
10-23-2006, 04:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because some people, including me, can't picture themselves actually killing another person. Plenty of the girls also were quite sure they wouldn't do it, even if it was to save their own life.

[ QUOTE ]

Or at the VERY least why would anyone choose 3? Seriously, anyone who chooses 3 needs to be kicked in the balls.

[/ QUOTE ]
Agreed... This one guy in my class though, argued that he thought it would be impossible to pick just one of them, and then look that person in the eyes. And that killing himself was out of the question.

hmkpoker
10-23-2006, 04:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No matter what option you choose, anyone alive after your shot(s) will be released.

[/ QUOTE ]

Option 2. Easy.

What is the insight about this hypothetical?

Fiksdal
10-23-2006, 05:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Option 2. Easy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand the question. Re-formulate?

Oh and yeah.. to those of you who would pick number 2.. What do you think your own life would be like after this incident?

Decided to make a poll too.

Bork
10-23-2006, 05:12 PM
What is the point of the shoot everybody but yourself option? Is it just there for criminal profiling purposes?

It almost is like shooting everybody to be fair, but you don't shoot yourself. sooo it makes no effing sense.

Brom
10-23-2006, 05:15 PM
Maybe the third option is there so that no one alive after the event will be able tell anyone else what you did. You could just as easily say the maniac killed them all and you escaped.

Or it could be to stop the son of the father you just chose as your "one" from coming and killing you after the incident.

lastchance
10-23-2006, 05:17 PM
I couldn't live with myself if I killed 10 instead of one just to be fair.

Bork
10-23-2006, 05:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe the third option is there so that no one alive after the event will be able tell anyone else what you did. You could just as easily say the maniac killed them all and you escaped.

Or it could be to stop the son of the father you just chose as your "one" from coming and killing you after the incident

[/ QUOTE ]

Well that makes some sense if you are a murderous sociopath.

FortunaMaximus
10-23-2006, 05:22 PM
Shoot the sociopath first. Check to see that the door's unlocked, let 'em out.

Shoot yourself if there's more than one bullet.

I know, I cheat. <rolls eyes>

ojc02
10-23-2006, 05:31 PM
Option 2, easy. In that situation you are not the one killing the person, the sadist is using you to kill them.

It would suck, and I'd probably emotionally feel bad about it, but I wouldn't think that i'd done anything wrong.

surftheiop
10-23-2006, 05:58 PM
Seeing as you got 20 minutes, i would
1) Shoot warning shot into ceiling so everyone is paying attention.
2) Say if there isnt atleast one dead person in here in 20 minutes were all gonna be tortured.
3) Throw gun on floor and let the group decide what happens.
4) If nobody is dead after 19:30 ill kill myself (I wouldnt tell the people this beforhand).

hotsauce615
10-23-2006, 06:05 PM
2 -- i dont see any other outs in this situation. So is this what tuition is going towards? No wonder I couldn't find a job after college.

thesnowman22
10-23-2006, 06:10 PM
Now why did it take so long for someone to figure that one out?

At least id go down fighting there. Hes obviously not a sadistic maniac with common sense.

valenzuela
10-23-2006, 06:22 PM
u suck at life, I mean really.
Instinct number 1: Staying alive.
That "I will put the gun in the middle because Im retarded" arguement is BS.
I know this is just a personal attack but it really bothers me that someone comes with such a ridicoulous reply, we all know you would shoot someone instead of putting the gun in the middle.

FortunaMaximus
10-23-2006, 06:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
u suck at life, I mean really.
Instinct number 1: Staying alive.
That "I will put the gun in the middle because Im retarded" arguement is BS.
I know this is just a personal attack but it really bothers me that someone comes with such a ridicoulous reply, we all know you would shoot someone instead of putting the gun in the middle.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't be so sure.

surftheiop
10-23-2006, 07:42 PM
Why should i shoot somebody else?
Really the only reason id not shoot myself right off the bat is there might be someone else in the room who would have rather killed himself than see a 17 year old take his own life.

Im sure of where im going after i die and dieing to save others would only reinforce that. I really dont have any issues with going to heaven 60 years early.

surftheiop
10-23-2006, 07:44 PM
"we all know you would shoot someone instead of putting the gun in the middle."

This is a straight out lie, and frankly im offended that you would think that.

FortunaMaximus
10-23-2006, 07:57 PM
The assumptions of youth.

dkgojackets
10-23-2006, 07:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Really the only reason id not shoot myself right off the bat is there might be someone else in the room who would have rather killed himself than see a 17 year old take his own life.

Im sure of where im going after i die and dieing to save others would only reinforce that. I really dont have any issues with going to heaven 60 years early.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would that not be suicide?

FortunaMaximus
10-23-2006, 08:00 PM
Only if free will's applicable. He'll at least have a chance to present his side of the story first. If not, [censored] God.

hotsauce615
10-23-2006, 08:01 PM
I think this would be more interesting if you were in the room with an entire family instead of strangers.

Borodog
10-23-2006, 08:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
2) Say if there isnt atleast one dead person in here in 20 minutes were all gonna be tortured.
4) If nobody is dead after 19:30 ill kill myself (I wouldnt tell the people this beforhand).

[/ QUOTE ]

You failed to pick on of the 3 choices. No matter what happens, you'll all die.

Good job.

valenzuela
10-23-2006, 08:07 PM
By the time he puts the gun in the floor somebody will get shot in less than 15 seconds. So I wouldnt worry about the 20 minutes passing.

bkholdem
10-23-2006, 08:09 PM
I have not read any replies. If it is physically possible I will shoot him. The moment he utters the directions the toruture on all of us has begun. There is no reason to believe he will not continue to play this game until there is 2 people left and then just torture the last person to dealth or go get 10 more people and put them in the room with the sole survivor and resume from the beginning.

bkholdem
10-23-2006, 08:17 PM
Are there any hot chicks in there i can bargin with?...20 minutes is a long time lol

bkholdem
10-23-2006, 08:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Option 2. Easy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gee, if you know everyone left will be let go for sure somehow it is a lot easier, not fun but a lot easier.

bkholdem
10-23-2006, 08:20 PM
kill one by some random picking method like drawing of 11 straws after everyone consents (and they will).

JayTee
10-23-2006, 09:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This reminds me of the people who say that they wouldn't renounce their religion if they were about to be beheaded by some Muslim fanatic. I've got a feeling that the number that make these claims would be alot different than the number that follow through.

BTW, I'm not accusing you of lying, just a general thought.

ojc02
10-23-2006, 09:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, don't you go to hell for committing suicide?

FortunaMaximus
10-23-2006, 09:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, don't you go to hell for committing suicide?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not without a short stay in purgatory to figure out what the hell you did wrong, then see if you can justify it to a higher power.

It's no different than alcoholism in that regard.

I'd like to think so anyway. I'm no expert on the subject. I eat my wings outta polyfoam too.

rja87
10-24-2006, 12:37 AM
Couldn't you shoot them without killing them ;/

FortunaMaximus
10-24-2006, 12:51 AM
Nice. Wonder how many overlooked that tidbit. nh.

metsandfinsfan
10-24-2006, 02:33 AM
option 2 obviously

Ask for volunteers, but otherwise eithe rand it or pick the oldest person i guess

Would I feel bad? I dunno ... i mean yes i think i would neeed therapy, but what choice did i have?? He was going to die anyway, but i just saved 10 lives

Evenkeal
10-24-2006, 03:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Are there any hot chicks in there i can bargin with?...20 minutes is a long time lol

[/ QUOTE ]

Winner.

KUJustin
10-24-2006, 03:35 AM
A similar question came up on the other board only it was something like would you kill 10 million people to stay alive and virtually everyone said yes.

I believe it was actually the maniac pulling the trigger in the other scenario though I seriously question spending the time reading posts by anyone who thinks that makes it different.

I know this is easier to say than do, but I hope I'd shoot myself without any hesitation. I don't understand this idea that it's okay to kill an innocent person to save yourself. Is selfishness really that acceptable in our culture?

metsandfinsfan
10-24-2006, 03:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
A similar question came up on the other board only it was something like would you kill 10 million people to stay alive and virtually everyone said yes.

I believe it was actually the maniac pulling the trigger in the other scenario though I seriously question spending the time reading posts by anyone who thinks that makes it different.

I know this is easier to say than do, but I hope I'd shoot myself without any hesitation. I don't understand this idea that it's okay to kill an innocent person to save yourself. Is selfishness really that acceptable in our culture?

[/ QUOTE ]

KU -- yes i value my own life better than another's. If a building was burning and i had a chance to escape or to save an innocent and die i would probably escape. If it was to save a loved one then yes, i could see myself possibly saving the loved one. ... but would i value a stranger's life over my own??? I dont think so

lastchance
10-24-2006, 05:55 AM
I think this is much, much more clearcut than the other decision. Kill 1 person (when one has to die anyway) or kill 10 million?

Hmm... I'll go with 1, and I'd think I'd sleep at night.

richard200
10-24-2006, 11:57 AM
if u were to kill everyone though the sicko might not think he was so sick after seeing what you have done and would be sooscared that he probly let ya go lol

ski
10-24-2006, 01:41 PM
Kill whichever person I feel will least benefit society once we are all released.

vhawk01
10-24-2006, 01:46 PM
Just because she's a woman?

r3vbr
10-24-2006, 02:11 PM
Wow. Such a nobrainer question.
Option 2, autocall.

Then option 3.
Then option 4 (torture and kill infinite people)

killing myself is like.. not gonna happen!

madnak
10-24-2006, 02:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just because she's a woman?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I needed that. Just had to go to a damn freshman seminar on sexual harassment.

r3vbr
10-24-2006, 02:18 PM
oh, and i value my own life more than anyone elses

and id kill a lot of *incocent* people if it meant saving my brother, father, mother or even some friends..

this is not wrong, nor right, its just the way things work... its human nature

Wanderlust
10-24-2006, 02:28 PM
The stupid thing is that you can never be certain what will happen after you fire your shot(s) because the maniac has questionable integrity.

It may be preferable to die by a gunshot than get tortured to death. I am guessing that's why you have the option of "doing everyone a favour" by killing them, thereby saving them from horrible torture.

If there is somehow certainty that everyone will be released after your gunshots, then the question is kinda dull because choice 3 has no advantages.

Golden_Rhino
10-24-2006, 02:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Quanah Parker
10-24-2006, 03:08 PM
Battle Royale, baby!

surftheiop
10-24-2006, 04:47 PM
You all need to read the bible before you try to catch me with lame arguements like this.

"My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. 13Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends. 14You are my friends if you do what I command."

"This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers."

DCopper04
10-24-2006, 05:20 PM
But if everyone lays down their lives, there will be no one left! Jesus was obviously trying to exterminate the human race.

FortunaMaximus
10-24-2006, 05:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
But if everyone lays down their lives, there will be no one left! Jesus was obviously trying to exterminate the human race.

[/ QUOTE ]

No kidding. Wonder how long he's grounded for pulling that silly prank.

Shaddux
10-24-2006, 06:16 PM
Was this a lesson on deontological ethics versus consequentialism?

From a utilitarian perspective, 2 is the obvious answer.

Based on a rule-based perspective, choose none of them if you believe that murder is wrong.

Slappz
10-24-2006, 11:20 PM
Pick a number 1-10, if your right your dead.

KUJustin
10-25-2006, 02:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
From a utilitarian perspective, 2 is the obvious answer.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never took a philosophy class, so go easy on me here, but..

Is it possible that option 1 offers more total utility?

I feel that sacrificing one's own life is less unpleasant than being murdered. And in the same vein, letting someone die for you causes less distress than murdering someone for your own benefit.

THAY3R
10-25-2006, 02:56 AM
Anyone who doesn't pick 2 doesn't deserve to live anyways.

THAY3R
10-25-2006, 02:58 AM
I just thought I'd point out that from a religious perspective, option 1 leaves everyone who is still alive free from sin.

FortunaMaximus
10-25-2006, 07:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I just thought I'd point out that from a religious perspective, option 1 leaves everyone who is still alive free from sin.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, and it's the most selfish choice of all. The 10 will live with the torment for the rest of their natural lives.

It ain't just a sin, it's the law.

AthenianStranger
10-25-2006, 02:40 PM
This is not philosophy.

bkholdem
10-25-2006, 03:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is not philosophy.

[/ QUOTE ]

So it's ethics. Which dept in college offers ethics classes?

FortunaMaximus
10-25-2006, 04:30 PM
Depends on the type of ethics. It's blurred these days.

Nielsio
10-25-2006, 05:28 PM
I hear sadistic maniacs are really trustworthy when it comes to promises.

PS your school sucks