PDA

View Full Version : TP Reasonable kicker - did I play this ok?

robinmbuk
10-23-2006, 10:06 AM
$0.05/$0.1 Blinds No Limit Hold'em
Total number of players : 9

Robin(MP1) ( $10.2 )
Villian(CO) ( $3.85 )
<font color="blue">No reads on villian, he hasn't been at the table long. He bought in fairly shortstacked, and I think it is safe to assume he is your usually nl$10 donk. The table in conditions in general have been weired. I have seen massive pots played where no one really has anything, but when people do have a hand they seem to play it really passively. Like people check calling all the way with good hands that aren't monster enough to slowplay like tpgk. I'm having a really hard time reading hands at this table, and I thought this hand was fairly standard.</font>

SB posts small blind [$0.05].
BB posts big blind [$0.1].
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Robin [ 10/images/graemlins/spade.gif A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif ]
2 folds.
MP1 calls [$0.1].
Robin calls [$0.1].
LP calls [$0.1].
Villian calls [$0.1].
1 folds.
SB calls [$0.05].
BB checks.
** Dealing Flop ** [ A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif ]
(Pot $0.6, 6 players)
SB checks.
BB checks.
MP1 checks.
Robin bets [$0.5].
<font color="blue">I flop top pair with a reasonable kicker. It is checked to me so I pot it.</font>
LP folds.
Villian calls [$0.5].
SB folds.
BB folds.
MP1 folds.
** Dealing Turn ** [ 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif ](Pot $1.6, 2 players)
At this point I belive villian to have a weak ace, or maybe even a jack, so I value bet.
Robin bets [$0.8].
Villian calls [$0.8].
** Dealing River ** [ 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif ](Pot $3.2, Players 2)
<font color="blue">When I got called on the turn I was intending to check the turn, like I often do with good but far from great hands like this. This often leads to fish betting into you when you do it out of position, so I bet probably wouldn't worry me to much. The river puts a 3 flush and 2 2s on the board, a good bluffing oppertunity for villian.</font>
Robin checks.
Villian bets [$2.45].
<font color="blue">Didn't realise this when I played the hand (doh!) but a weak ace now actually splits the pot with me (both have 2 pairs, Aces and deuces with a Jack kicker). I thought villian would bet here, but I thought he'd be the type to make some weak bet, instead he pushes. This suprised be for a second, but he does have less than a 1 psb stack. Easy call? I will post results soon, what hand would you put him on?</font>
Robin ?

Wolfram
10-23-2006, 11:26 AM
I hate the limp pf. ATo is not a hand you want to play in middle position. Raise or fold. Probably fold because it's full ring, NL10, and you'll get a bunch of callers and be OOP for the rest of the hand.

Flop is standard.

Betting the turn is fine, though I like to make it 3/4ths pot to avoid giving draws good implied odds. I can see checking the turn as an option, but the pot isn't really that big so pot size control isn't that big of an issue.

The river is difficult. You don't really beat any reasonable hand, but at these stakes that doesn't mean much. You have no reads so we can't allow us the luxury of assuming he is a total monkey. I don't like the reasoning behind your inducing play. I generally check rivers like this when the draws don't come in, but this time a runner-runner flush came in. And even the 2's paring up can be an issue (I've seen plenty of people chase bottom pair to the river at µStakes).

If he had a full stack I'd put out a block bet of about 1/2 pot, and if he pushed I'd fold. But his short stack makes that difficult (if you put any money in on the river you can't really fold).

If it was me, I'd say screw it and call, though folding is probably most +EV. You are only splitting or catching a bluff at best, and losing to lots of crazy or legitimate hands.

Then make a note if he hit his bottom pair/runner runner flush, whatever. Or if he played a better ace weakly.

[ QUOTE ]
what hand would you put him on?

[/ QUOTE ]
It's very hard to put somebody on a hand when you have no reads. I'd say his range is any ace, any deuce, maybe KQ of hearts, any Jx of hearts, KQ that missed, or just air that decided to take a shot at the river since you checked.

Acein8ter
10-23-2006, 11:33 AM
When everyone limps in to a pot, they could be holding anything. 6 players see the flop. Anyone of them could hit 2 pair, A2, J2, AJ off the flop. A8, J8 on the turn, if villian had A2s, he now has a FH.

That's why it's important to open raise or raise PF with your hand. When everyone limps and lets the SB complete and BB check, the flop could hit anyone. (Donkfest)

robinmbuk
10-23-2006, 12:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That's why it's important to open raise or raise PF with your hand. When everyone limps and lets the SB complete and BB check, the flop could hit anyone.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm ok with limping with mediocre hands in games that are really loose pf, as I think I can usually play well enough post flop to make this profitable. I'm not the 'raise or fold' pf type, I like to see a lot of cheap flops if possible with reasonable cards. This does mean people could have anything after the flop, but working out what they have and if you are ahead / behind is what the game is about.

[ QUOTE ]
It's very hard to put somebody on a hand when you have no reads. I'd say his range is any ace, any deuce, maybe KQ of hearts, any Jx of hearts, KQ that missed, or just air that decided to take a shot at the river since you checked.

[/ QUOTE ]

He had AQ. My reaction when I saw was WTF?!? Could never put him on that.

DeuceSeven
10-23-2006, 02:17 PM
OP, I play $10 6 max and also see alot of flops and I'd rather have something like 89s then a weak A. AT+ or better I like to raise unless it's suited and I'm in position. At 6 max, AT is the weakest Ax I'll raise with utg.

I think I fold this preflop, if I play I raise it. AT really isn't that strong of a hand, at this position of a full ring I think AJo is the weakest Ax I play with.

As played I would have bet the flop and check/folded down to the river.

robinmbuk
10-23-2006, 02:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
OP, I play $10 6 max and also see alot of flops and I'd rather have something like 89s then a weak A

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd rather have 98s in a raised pot than AT, but in an unraised pot if you hit anc ace your kicker is more often than not the best.

hanster
10-23-2006, 03:03 PM
Don't limp with ATo when there are other limpers. Raise =&gt; Fold &gt; Call.

Wolfram
10-24-2006, 12:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Don't limp with ATo when there are other limpers. Fold &gt; Raise &gt; Call from UTG in a Full Ring µLimit game
FYP