PDA

View Full Version : Top-two facing massive overbet on river

Murd0c
10-22-2006, 09:05 PM
Villain is 45/13/1.3. His won @ showdown % is 28% making him a showdown muppet.

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.10/$0.25
5 players
Converter (http://www.neildewhurst.com/hand-converter)

Stack sizes:
UTG: $27.50
CO: $19.05
Button: $21.10
Hero: $25
BB: $23.65

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is SB with J/images/graemlins/heart.gif K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif
UTG folds, CO calls, Button folds, Hero calls, BB checks.

Flop: J/images/graemlins/club.gif 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif ($0.75, 3 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $0.75</font>, BB calls, CO calls.

Flat calls by two players. Doesn't really give me much info but I plan on slowing down on turn if I don't get help.

Turn: K/images/graemlins/club.gif ($3, 3 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $2</font>, BB calls, CO folds.

Turn bring me top two pair so I continue betting. Probably could have bet slightly more but I think the difference is negligible. Looks to me like Villain here is on some kind of straight draw. My guess is 79 or 75.

River: A/images/graemlins/spade.gif ($7, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">BB bets $15</font>, Hero ?

The ace is not a particulary good card for my hand. I decided to check and both a)induce a bluff from a missed straight draw, b) cut my losses in case I'm beat. Unfortunately villian makes a massive overbet making me reaccess my decision to check-call his bet.

Should I give him credit for a better hand w/ the overbet and his low agression factor?

Or is the fact that he has a W$ASD of 28%, I've put him on a straight draw that's missed, and that I checked the river force me to call?

Thoughts?

Vammakala
10-22-2006, 09:23 PM
That's pretty soiled situation really. It could also be like A6 or A8 type of hand or maybe some thing slowplayed. It could even be something like QT.

I think you're beat here. If he bet pot or less, I'd probably call, but that's pretty huge. You have $3 invested so you're not commited in any way either. I think the river is the worst card for ye probably.

It's either T9, QT, Ax with paired x or a bluff. And I don't think you are good enough here UNLESS you've seen him do it with crap.

Here's a piece of wisdom:
"People at SSNL make a lot more bad calls than bad bets."

Xanta
10-22-2006, 10:49 PM
Grunch

I think this is a fold. Villain likes to see showdowns, so he we should probably include A8 and A6 in his range, along with slowplayed hands that expected a bet on the river and didn't get one. I think that he's caught up too often here.

pokerchap
10-22-2006, 11:13 PM
fold. aces up is just too likely here

Murd0c
10-22-2006, 11:43 PM
What's Grunch mean?

the machine
10-22-2006, 11:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What's Grunch mean?

[/ QUOTE ]

responding to a post without reading any other responses before hand. so its clearly your own opinion, coined by The Grunch

AZplaya
10-23-2006, 01:38 AM
fwiw I would block this river for $4. As played I would prob fold.