PDA

View Full Version : I might've just let out timing tell..

Vammakala
10-22-2006, 01:21 PM
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (4 handed) pokerhand.org hand converter (http://www.pokerhand.org)

Hero ($93.80)
Button ($25.35)
SB ($69.35)
BB ($45.05)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $6</font>, Hero calls $4.

Flop: ($12.25) 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $15.5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $35</font>, BB folds.

Final Pot: $62.75

I'm wondering, his very anxious to put money in the pot and his flop overbet was very quick. I on the other hand, almost instantly reraised him AI. I was wondering whether it's a tell that's significant enough for him to lay down an overpair smaller or did I just force him to fold AK here? On similar note, would calling be better in this spot or is it even more scary?

kaz2107
10-22-2006, 01:29 PM
ehhh
imo villians are all completely different when it comes to timing tells thus is matters next to none. i typically try to act in about the same amount of time but i dont think it matters to much.

some villians will see ur quick reraise as u r tryin to bluff, others will see it as strength, and others wont even realize wut is happening. i think all 3 ranges are relatively tha same.

xwillience
10-22-2006, 01:31 PM
this is fine, i like getting it now before a card comes that kills your action. i dont think this is AK ever. more like JJ/QQ. I wouldnt mind calling here either in the future and getting it all in on the turn. he seems very weak-tight.

when i put someone all in, i rarely put them EXCACTLY all in. i think if you push it looks less suspicios and they maybe dont consider the consequences as much??!!?

Sir Winalot
10-22-2006, 01:50 PM
I think this is perfectly fine, though I like a 3-bet preflop alot.

Jigsaws
10-22-2006, 02:57 PM
Pushing is fine. Flat-calling and calling or pushing literally *any* turn is fine as well.

matrix
10-22-2006, 03:10 PM
I always aim to take about the same amount of time for most decisions - if I put someone all-in I always put the *exactly* all-in if I have them covered.

I never insta-push all-in I go for a 2-3 seconds wait before I push. (as it takes me a sec or 3 to type out exactly how much I need to raise to put them totally allin this worksout nicely)

xwillience
10-22-2006, 03:16 PM
matrix- why do you put them exactly all in ? i just open push unless i have a good reason to put them precisely all in.

ama0330
10-22-2006, 03:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
matrix- why do you put them exactly all in ?

[/ QUOTE ]

So that they can taste the fear.

Really though, I think its a move that has great psychological implications - its basically saying "I have more money than you and this play is designed solely to get the rest of your stack in the middle"

What I also find fun is putting them all in +1c, i.e. villain has $23.55 left and you put them in for $23.56 - metagame baby.

xwillience
10-22-2006, 03:29 PM
ama, im not saying i dont utilize it, i just dont use it everytime. i also bet less than there stack if its one of those villains that doesnt like to call all in.

i also think just pushing has metagame effects too. it might come off as more careless and less threatening.

i just dont see why anyone would use 1 betting pattern all the time.

matrix
10-22-2006, 03:46 PM
cos I like to make them sweat /images/graemlins/smile.gif - it also takes a little longer to work out exactly how much your need to bet/raise to get them precisely all-in and this "thinking time" I think is goot it stops me instapushing.

I always put them all-in exactly so they can't tell from my bet size whether I am bluffing or not.

Poker is NOT a card game - it's a betting game where the winner is the player who gets under the skin of the opposition better and who can deduce what the other players bets/raises mean the best, I like messing with peoples heads and putting people exactly all in everytime is one of the ways I do this.

In the "he isn't going to call an all-in but will call a hefty raise" spots I bet a little less sometimes - but then this is a read that is causing me to deviate from my standard game.

It would be better to say I always put people *exactly* all in as my standard play, andunless I have a read I don't change my standard play.

xwillience
10-22-2006, 04:11 PM
i always find the 'exact" online to be more intimidating. like the person making that bet is holding the NUTZ.

kaz2107
10-22-2006, 04:20 PM
so do u suggest betting exactly wut they have left when u want a fold and then shoving ur whole stack when u have the nuts or just pick one and stick with it?

i personally just shove my whole stack in pretty much everytime unless villian is super short

xwillience
10-22-2006, 05:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
so do u suggest betting exactly wut they have left when u want a fold and then shoving ur whole stack when u have the nuts or just pick one and stick with it?

i personally just shove my whole stack in pretty much everytime unless villian is super short

[/ QUOTE ]

thats my standard play. but like i said, and matrix too, i vary it depending on my reads.

Vammakala
10-22-2006, 09:51 PM
I'm not quite sure about 4-betting pf. When I'm reraised, nice portion of stack goes in, no doubt. If I 4-bet on these limits, my range is very open to the opposition. Against short-stack, I'd probably do that, but against a nearly full stack, I think deceptive plays have more value.

I could be wrong, I get stacked with overpairs very very rarely nowadays, I'm actually afraid that I might be playing them too weakly.

This hand made me feel that calling probably would've been better. He's most likely drawing to 0-2 outs, not reason not to let him hang himself. Raising just gives him a getaway. Say turn is another 4. And he checks. You can probably check behind to induce a bluff on the river (after the call, pot is already $45) in that case too - appearing scared.

I don't think he would've folded big pairs here so I'd say it's most likely Ax, probably AK.