PDA

View Full Version : 50 NL top pair weird river minraise

Brian O'Nolan
10-22-2006, 12:31 PM
Played just a couple orbits at the table, CO seems kinda passive, haven't seen anything really noteworthy. (KQo is kinda borderline for me UTG+1... fold more pf?) I can't see being good hardly ever on the river here but it was just weird enough that I felt like I had to call. Check the river? Other streets? I was a little lost in this hand, I guess that's what I get for playing this OOP.

Prima Poker skin
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.25/$0.50
6 players
Converter (http://www.neildewhurst.com/hand-converter)

Stack sizes:
UTG: $30.00
Hero: $48.70
CO: $63.31
Button: $62.97
SB: $45.49
BB: $49.50

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is UTG+1 with Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif
UTG folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $2</font>, CO calls, Button calls, SB folds, BB calls.

Flop: 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif K/images/graemlins/club.gif ($8.25, 4 players)
BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $5</font>, CO calls, 2 folds.

Turn: 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif ($18.25, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $10</font>, CO calls.

River: 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif ($38.25, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $10</font>, <font color="#cc0000">CO raises to $20</font>, Hero calls.

Results:
Final pot: $78.25

Murd0c
10-22-2006, 02:21 PM
I'd bet bigger on flop and turn. Around $6 for the flop and then between 2/3 to 3/4 of the pot on the turn. This way you can define your hand a bit better to him.

On the river I'd probably end up check calling a reasonable bet. If he's passive as you said he's probably not raising without two pair at least. As played I'd probably have to call since I'd be getting 7 to 1 on a call.

xwillience
10-22-2006, 03:41 PM
i wouldnt bet the turn at all.

fold the river mr tho. its just bad juju's.

testaaja
10-22-2006, 03:49 PM
Bet bigger on river. Call as played.

gdsdiscgolfer
10-22-2006, 04:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd bet bigger on flop and turn. Around $6 for the flop and then between 2/3 to 3/4 of the pot on the turn. This way you can define your hand a bit better to him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not disagreeing with your advice necessarily, but you don't want to define your hand for a villain.

Brian O'Nolan
10-22-2006, 05:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would normally bet more, on the flop especially, but it's such a drawless board. In this case I think all I would be doing by betting more is building a big pot with TPGK which I don't necessarily want to do in this spot- I'm not worried about being drawn out on here. Why should I define my hand to him? If he thinks I have nothing and calls down with middle/bottom pair that seems like a good thing to me.

Thrahl
10-22-2006, 05:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i wouldnt bet the turn at all.

fold the river mr tho. its just bad juju's.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, I'm always checking here on a dry board with one pair for pot control. As played Hero has shown strength on all three streets and villain still miniraises on the river = instamuck. All you're beating is air and since there were no draws out, this is a bluff almost never.

Art Vandalay
10-22-2006, 05:31 PM
Pot the flop and turn. C/c the river unless villain bets more than half the pot, imo. Villain could have missed his straight and could be looking to take it down.

xwillience
10-22-2006, 05:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Pot the flop and turn. C/c the river unless villain bets more than half the pot, imo. Villain could have missed his straight and could be looking to take it down.

[/ QUOTE ]

what str8 are you talking about exactly?

Art Vandalay
10-22-2006, 05:37 PM
JT, QJ, QT. All three are hands that a lot of players would call in the CO and not be afraid to call down with when they've got the gutshot. I know he wouldnt havehit the draw till the turn, but ive noticed a lot of players will call with any two cards on the flop as a weak defense against cbets.

Shaddux
10-22-2006, 05:39 PM
Even if there was a straight, a passive player probably doesn't make this play anyways.

I fold the river. We tried blocking it, and a somewhat passive player minraised. We are behind almost always.

xwillience
10-22-2006, 05:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
JT, QJ, QT. All three are hands that a lot of players would call in the CO and not be afraid to call down with when they've got the gutshot. I know he wouldnt havehit the draw till the turn, but ive noticed a lot of players will call with any two cards on the flop as a weak defense against cbets.

[/ QUOTE ]

with all do respect man, putting him on a BD gutshot is like pulling [censored] out of your ass. you might as well put him on ATC.

This is a bigger K or a passive set almost always. also, if were going to block the river, we need to bet more than 1/4th the pot.