PDA

View Full Version : Critique a letter to a senator? (LONG)

Gomez22
10-21-2006, 11:48 PM
Hey all... if this is not the right place for this, mods... please feel free to move/delete.

I just composed a letter I intend to send to candidates running for senate/house in my home state of Ohio. As I'm not really any good at writing these things, I would like some thoughts and replies and/or critique before I send this letter. I'm thinking of sending it Monday or maybe Tuesday, as I would like a day or two of responses here to help me out.

Thanks in advance,
Mez

Dear __________,

Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is __________. I am a thirty four year old funeral director and registered republican voter living in __________, Ohio. I own three funeral homes in the area, am a member of our local rotary club, and participate in many local events in our community. I have never felt compelled to compose a letter to a candidate running for congress before, but recent actions in Washington have prompted me to voice my concerns and questions to individuals running for a seat in the House or Senate from our state.

On Friday, October 13, 2006, President George W. Bush signed into law the Safe Ports Act, which contained piggy-backed on it, the Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act (UIGEA).

As I understand it, the UIGEA was ‘attached’ to the Safe Ports Act primarily as the result of actions by Senator Bill Frist. I cannot begin to tell you the level of outrage, disappointment, and helplessness I felt as this bill was passed by both the House and the Senate and subsequently signed into law by the President.

Our country was founded on the beliefs of freedom and the pursuit of happiness for all Americans to enjoy. It seems to me that in recent times, that freedom is being slowly taken away from the people of this country if for nothing more than the individual goals and, dare I say, political aspirations of a very few.

Poker is an American game that we, as Americans, were able to play in the privacy of our homes on the internet through regulated sites. It is enjoyed by approximately seventy million Americans at this time and is a game that requires concentration, patience, mathematical skills, an understanding of psychology and much practice to perfect. Due to the passing of the Safe Ports Act (which contained the UIGEA), that freedom is being taken away from poker players across the country. It seems to me that this was a very brash decision that was based more on ignorance and garnering votes than actual investigation of the facts and/or truth.

To be honest, I very much enjoyed the privilege I had of playing online poker from the comfort of my own home. Thanks to online poker, I was able to pay for the wedding my wife and I had always wanted, was able to contribute to our local animal shelter, and was also able to afford some things that I previously may not have been able to before. I also reported all of my income from online poker on both my state and federal tax returns, which contributed in some small way to our government. The ability to play online poker isn’t something that I ever thought our government would take away. Sadly, as you must know, the same government, that was founded by the people for the people has ironically taken a privilege of the people away.

Many supporters of the bill claimed that online gambling was degenerative to our society, causing family problems and making it easier for children to gamble, yet I have not been aware of any studies or reports that can substantiate this claim, save a very few media reports over the past few years that painted online gambling as a scourge to our country. Please excuse the sarcasm, but I guess that a small number of news stories must be indicative as to the overall state of online gaming; as we all know that the media is never wrong and always tells the whole truth in a clear and concise manner. I have also heard claims that online gambling was being used to launder money for terrorists, yet have never seen any reports confirming this, either. It makes me wonder how many lies our politicians (that we, as constituents elect into office) are actually telling us.

I firmly believe that we, as American people should NEVER be told what we can and cannot do within our own homes, as long as we are not causing harm to ourselves or other individuals, and for this reason, I have lost a lot of my faith in our government for allowing this underhanded and shady situation of attaching the Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act to a much needed bill. I also find it appalling that no consideration was given to regulating and taxing online gambling as last year it was a six billion dollar industry that our government seems to not want to take a part of. Many European countries have legalized, regulated, licensed and taxed online gambling and more are doing just that with the popularity that poker has achieved in our global society today. It would be a shame and a farce for the United States to be so far behind the rest of the world in this matter.

I would ask you, as a voter in your state, to reply to this letter; not with a form letter that some random aide has prepared, but with a well thought out, concise and honest letter stating your views on this situation and any actions you are prepared to take regarding this matter should you be elected to office. Please be assured that your views, concerns and replies will have great effect on my vote, as well as the many votes by poker players that I am friends with amongst our state.

In closing, I would like to add that I am very proud to be an American, but this situation, as a whole, makes me very ashamed and embarrassed of our American government.

Thank you for your time,

autobet
10-22-2006, 12:51 AM
Deleted some, added some...good luck.

I have never felt compelled to compose a letter to a candidate running for congress before, but recent actions in Washington have prompted me to voice my concerns and questions to individuals running for a seat in the House or Senate from our state.

On Friday, October 13, 2006, President George W. Bush signed into law the Safe Ports Act, which contained piggy-backed on it, the Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act (UIGEA). I cannot begin to tell you the level of outrage, disappointment, and helplessness I felt as this bill was passed by both the House and the Senate and subsequently signed into law by the President.

Our country was founded on the beliefs of freedom and the pursuit of happiness for all Americans to enjoy. It seems to me that in recent times, that freedom is being slowly taken away from the people of this country if for nothing more than the individual goals and, dare I say, political aspirations of a very few.

Poker is an American game that we, as Americans, were able to play in the safety and privacy of our homes on the internet through regulated sites. Poker is enjoyed by approximately seventy million Americans with ten to twenty million enjoying the game on the Internet. Poker is not a game of chance like most forms of gambling. It is a game that requires concentration, patience, mathematical skills, an understanding of psychology and much practice to perfect. While it is true luck plays a big part of short term success, in the long run players using proper strategy will come out ahead.

To be honest, I very much enjoyed the privilege I had of playing online poker from the comfort of my own home. Thanks to online poker, I was able to pay for the wedding my wife and I had always wanted, and was able to contribute to our local animal shelter. I also reported all of my income from online poker on both my state and federal tax returns, which contributed in some small way to our government. The ability to play online poker isn’t something that I ever thought our government would take away. Sadly, as you must know, the same government, that was founded by the people for the people has ironically taken a privilege of the people away.

Many supporters of the bill claimed that online gambling was degenerative to our society, causing family problems and making it easier for children to gamble. While it is true some people are hurt by gambling, there are many forms of gambling legal in almost every state. To protect people and their families are we going to make all forms of gambling illegal? How far are we going to go to legislate morality and protect people? Are we going to bring back prohibition, to protect people from abusing alcohol causing harm to individuals and their families? As for children, there are programs like Net Nanny that could be used to block gambling web sites.

I want consideration given to regulating and taxing online gambling. Also the ability to transfer money to and from these sites must be legalized. Many European countries have legalized, regulated, licensed and taxed online gambling and more are doing just that with the popularity that poker has achieved in our global society today. It would be a shame for the United States to continue to defy the WTO in this matter.

I would ask you to reply to this letter with a well thought out, concise and honest letter stating your views on this situation and any actions you are prepared to take regarding this matter should you be elected to office. I look forward to posting your reply on several Internet Poker Sites read by thousands of poker players from our great state.

Gomez22
10-22-2006, 12:56 AM
Thanks for taking the time to write all that up. It's very mush appreciated. I plan on posting any replies I may get from any candidates that send them.