PDA

View Full Version : KJo on SB against a bad LAG

cestlavie
10-21-2006, 07:01 PM
Hello folks,

BB and MP are loose-passives who usually give up without a decent hand in the face of aggression. MP on the other hand is everything that defines a bad LAG. He likes to raise recklessly preflop, and make big raises postflop with mediocre hands in order to try to make his opponents fold. He's probably been watching a bit too much TV poker.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool (http://poker-tools.flopturnriver.com/Hand-Converter.php) from FlopTurnRiver.com (http://www.flopturnriver.com) (Format: 2+2 Forums)

UTG ($31.55)
MP ($36.65)
CO ($16.25)
Button ($47.25)
Hero ($50)
BB ($49)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls $0.50, MP calls $0.50, CO calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($2.50) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets $3</font>, CO folds, Hero calls $3, BB folds, UTG folds.

<font color="#000088">I likely have the best hand here, but since I'm OOP and against 4 players I'm not wishing to make the pot too big by betting in case I get callers. The pot was not raised preflop so AK or KQ are unlikely.

Sure enough, MP bets with whatever he has. I'm willing to give him credit for a flopped pair, but I'm very confident I'm ahead.</font>

Turn: ($8.50) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $4.5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $33.15</font>, Hero calls $28.65.

<font color="#000088">I put in a blocking bet here, planning to bet about 2/5-1/2 pot on the river UI, as another blocker. MP pushes, which I figure is one of his "please fold" raises again, so I call with the likely best hand.</font>

Ben K
10-21-2006, 07:23 PM
In the absence of a question, I guess you'd like verification that the line you took was reasonable? There's a couple of things I would have done differently...

1. I would have led the flop for perhaps $2. You need some information, you likely have the best hand and betting is the way forward. By letting him choose the bet size you find yourself paying more to see the turn than you would have done by betting $2 - $2.5 yourself which negates your reasoning for not betting.

2. After your passive behaviour on the flop, your turn bet seems out of place due to not being very big relative to the pot.

Essentially, your betting is at odds with your reasoning. If you're very sure you're ahead put him all in on the flop. What's with the blocking bet? "I think I'm ahead so I'll put out a small bet which he can call giving him great odds to outdraw me on the river" very illogical in my mind.

As for how the hand played out, I'd have folded the turn. He could have anything if he's a lag so could easily have 2 pair or a better kicker.

redCashion
10-21-2006, 08:11 PM
My feeling is that the trick to beating a LAG isn't out LAGing him, which is sort of what you did here if you committed all your chips with KJo. The trick is out waiting him, and making sure that if you go to war with him you at least have a premium hand to do it with.

On the flop I don't mind the c/c, but if you really thought you had the best hand I would c/r him. On the turn, it's an easy fold. You don't want to lose to a hand as bad as KQ, and if he's pushing with nothing here he'll push with nothing later on when you know where you are a little better.

Thomas Arnold
10-21-2006, 08:39 PM
Against maniac-type players, I tend to tighten up more and avoid playing big pots unless I have a really strong hand. In this spot I fold to the turn raise.

Also, I'm a recovering limit player and am still learning NL concepts, but I wouldn't try blocking bets against unpredictable, aggressive opponents. My understanding is that blocking bets work better against a passive, weak opponent who will just call. Feel free to correct me if my understanding is wrong here.

Shaddux
10-22-2006, 01:22 AM
Why did you block the turn?

cestlavie
10-22-2006, 06:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Why did you block the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

To set the price for the showdown, and to see his reaction. Had he raised to about 9-15, I would have folded. His push made me, having watched his tendencies for some time, quite confident that he didn't have much of a hand.

kazana
10-22-2006, 07:05 AM
If he really loves to raise all kind of crap, then don't give him a chance to do so while you're only holding TPGK.
c/c is probably the way to go.
Also remember, his pf limp could be any two cards, so don't take your hand too far. He could have air, a weak pair, but also two pair or even a set.