PDA

View Full Version : When to call it a day?

TWINUNO
01-30-2006, 11:21 AM
I find myself not setting a certain goal when playing, right now ive logged in about 10k hands this month, and doing very poorly at it. I am currently working off a eurobetbonus + rakeback, right now down -300 but waiting for the end of the month to get rakeback then clear the bonus.
I find my self in short periods of times when 3 tabling-2/4 going up 200 in an hour of play, and some how losing it all back then tryin to play longer to win some of it back. How many hours/hands in do you like to get in a day before you call it a day? What is the usual time spent playing at one time.

mack848
01-30-2006, 11:26 AM
Only you can answer how long 'you' should play. Some can play their A game for 4 straight hours, others 1 hour.

One thing for sure is that playing on to chase losses has to be a bad idea. One way to ease the urge to do this is to buy in with large stacks and use tilt blockers to mask the amount you have - and simply play until you have had enough. Only then see how you have done.

Play well and the $$ will look after themselves.

peterchi
01-30-2006, 12:12 PM
I've grown to like 1500 hand sessions after a day of work at my real job. 6-tabling.

Beastmaster
01-30-2006, 12:20 PM
Leaving the table when your down is hard and something I struggle with. Realize poker is just one long session and turning off the computer when your tired or on tilt will save you $ in the long run. I currently can play for 2-3 hrs playing 6max with no problem.

DawnToDusk
01-30-2006, 12:38 PM
Totally agree. But on top of that if you see yourself playing for other reasons than winning money (we all play for enjoyment), then you should probably quit for the day. There is no sense in trying to outplay your opponents, make your stats look better, or for that matter to end your day ahead.

There are just going to be some losing days, no matter how good you play. Just keep your eye on the goal and play to make money (and have fun). Once you lose sight of that, turn the computer off for the day.

Ineedaride2
01-30-2006, 02:17 PM
Generally, I call it a day the moment I feel like hitting myself in the face with the keyboard.

Or sometimes after I've hit myself in the face with the keyboard.

It all depends on whether or not I've hit myself in the face with the keyboard yet.

Perseus
01-30-2006, 02:20 PM
When I've read 2+2 for so long that I start looking in New, Views, and other Gossip for new threads....then I know I've been playing for too long.

Peter Harris
01-30-2006, 02:31 PM
the most intense session so far I ever did was 4 tabling .5/1 6max for 5 hours, with what reads exist at .5/1.

The longest session was 7 hours 3 tabling 1/2.

Learn what your comfort zone is. Stick to it, but push the boundaries when you feel good; you'll know how long is long enough, and whether you are up or down should have zero bearing on when it's time to leave - 1) how fresh you are and 2) how beatable the game is are the important factors.

jackjack
01-30-2006, 02:51 PM
I have a variation on the keyboard face approach. Lets just say my laptop has an interesting twist to it (knew those hours at the gym would be useful for something)... Should you offset hardware depreciation against win rate?

Hotchile
01-30-2006, 07:34 PM
For anything that is not independant of other areas of your life, treat with a purpose.

Poker is usually quite attached to other areas of your life. Finances, relationships, mood etc. So, examine your reason for playing at any particular time.

If you are up, why are you still playing?
If you are down, why are you still playing?
If you are not enjoying the game, why are you still playing?
If the game is tough, why are you still playing?

If you can't come up with a reason for at least one of these questions, it's a day..

Hotchile