PDA

View Full Version : Athiest Social Organizations

lisue49
10-21-2006, 03:59 PM
If possible, would someone please enlighten me and inform me of any social organizations, i.e. YWCA/YM, Salvation Army, Lutheran Services and the similar organizations founded and funded by Catholics and Jews, founded and funded by the athiests? I keep reading over and over about the superior intelligence of the athiests on this forum and I can't help but not wonder what good it your intelligence? You do nothing with your intelligence but tell the rest of us how average we are, at best. Yet it amazes me how many people in our society are dependant on a bunch of average people who believe in serving their God thru service to the less fortunate. So I am asking for enlightment, what social organizations have been founded and are supported by athiests? And I am not speaking of legal organizations who sue to take the 10 commandments out of court rooms when the defendants can't read anyway.

Thank you for your time, consideration, and/or reply.

respectfully submitted.

Prodigy54321
10-21-2006, 05:16 PM
it doesn't make sense to start a charity "in the name of atheism"..there is no atheism cause

there are many atheists who contirbute to charities...even christian charities if they believe in what the money is going towards

your question is kind of a trick...people don't tend to form groups based on what they are not...

Warren Buffet sure is a charitable person...but he doesn't do it in the name of atheism...

EDIT: and there actually are some charities that are specifically "atheist", but nothing all that big..

christian charities wouldn't bee all that big either if it weren't for the fear that you might no go to heaven if you don't give your money to the church or religious organization /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

here's the response to your question on athiest web site positive atheism (http://www.positiveatheism.org/mail/eml9553.htm)

FortunaMaximus
10-21-2006, 05:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You do nothing with your intelligence but tell the rest of us how average we are, at best.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm agnostic, so discard if needed.

I don't need adulation or a cause to rally support for, to motivate me to do the things I do to help the world along. In fact, some of it might even get me arrested and put away. I know I'm doing good, I don't need to justify or describe it to other people. And the moral dilemmas I encounter, I deal with on my own time or with people that understand the prices that have to be paid.

There are various ways to help the world. Some methods just don't involve cookies and bake sales.

Money? I spew it like I spew nothing else, when I do have it. I frequently wind up broke, but, hey, at least I know it's being well used elsewhere. And there's always more where it came from.

<chuckles> Atheist organizations. I dunno if you were being intentionally funny, but...

madnak
10-22-2006, 08:47 AM
Heh. Unlike the Christians, when I give to charity I don't need to use it as a propaganda piece. Also unlike the Christians, I don't have an ulterior motive. From what I've seen I'd wager atheists are way overrepresented among volunteers and givers to charity and even members of the Peace Corps, Doctors Without Borders, etc. But I guess we're bad because we don't advertise for atheism in the process?

benjdm
10-22-2006, 09:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If possible, would someone please enlighten me and inform me of any social organizations, i.e. YWCA/YM, Salvation Army, Lutheran Services and the similar organizations founded and funded by Catholics and Jews, founded and funded by the athiests?

[/ QUOTE ]
Sure. Bill and Melinda Gates charitable foundation, largest in the world. Warren Buffet, another atheist, is making the largest charitable donation in the history of the world to this foundation. Lance Armstrong foundation. Many others that are beyond my instant recall.

Edited to add: Ted Turner has set up huge environmental and UN charities.

Insp. Clue!So?
10-22-2006, 12:25 PM
http://www.cfiwest.org

Interesting speakers, events, activities.

agent_fish
10-22-2006, 01:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I keep reading over and over about the superior intelligence of the athiests on this forum and I can't help but not wonder what good it your intelligence?

[/ QUOTE ]
You've got it mixed up. It's not that atheists have superior intelligence. It's just that those with superior intelligence are usually atheists.

Lots of atheist folks give to charity. They just don't do it in the name of atheism because that would be super lame.

vhawk01
10-22-2006, 05:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I keep reading over and over about the superior intelligence of the athiests on this forum and I can't help but not wonder what good it your intelligence?

[/ QUOTE ]
You've got it mixed up. It's not that atheists have superior intelligence. It's just that those with superior intelligence are usually atheists.

Lots of atheist folks give to charity. They just don't do it in the name of atheism because that would be super lame.

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally, I donate in the name of my kitten, Mr. Button-nose.