PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for a college essay (Science related)

surftheiop
10-21-2006, 12:18 PM
First off i dont want anyone saying "ethics/morals dont exist, etc" im just looking to write a basic essay here for a college application.

"Advances in science and technology often create ethical dilemmas for individuals and society. How does a recent scientific or technological innovation pose an ethical challenge for you?"

First thought that hit me was something about cloning/ bioengineering, then i realized that everyone and their brother probaly does this topic. I was wondering if anyone had an other thoughts that might be a little less used.
I considered something about the extreme amounts of info. google is acquiring but i didnt see any good way to apply that to the essay.

Thanks all.

FortunaMaximus
10-21-2006, 01:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I considered something about the extreme amounts of info. google is acquiring but i didnt see any good way to apply that to the essay.

[/ QUOTE ]

See avatar, and consider what Google wants this information for. It is not keeping it for itself, after all, but makes it readily accessible. As they should. Profile the original owners of Google and draw a parallel between them and the original Gates/Allen duo.

But if it's an ethical issue, just the Google duo/Microsoft duo in persecptive. They seem to have learned from Microsoft's mistakes in capitalism well.

surftheiop
10-21-2006, 01:29 PM
I dont think im really learned enough in the subject to right that essay well and i dont think it addresses the topic that well either but ill consider it.

Any other ideas?

FortunaMaximus
10-21-2006, 01:45 PM
Nothing specific, but you could use this approach...

Look at previous SMP threads. There are a wide variety of ethical subjects discussed here, and you could simply go back days, a couple weeks, or do a search and find a subject that's interesting, read the discussions. There's no need to plagiarize, and you can always use hardcopy resources to cite and back up your position in the essay.

Darryl_P
10-21-2006, 01:46 PM
I think software and data piracy is an interesting one. Especially stuff like downloading music or games from the internet. Lots of arguments for both sides and pretty much everyone can relate in some way.

surftheiop
10-21-2006, 02:06 PM
Thats a pretty good idea, ill have to consider that.