PDA

View Full Version : playing pocket pairs agains a called raise

shirze
10-21-2006, 06:38 AM
been playing lots of loose NL10 and NL20 gmes lately and never know what to do in the following situation.

i have a small or medium pocket pair. i've limped in or am yet to act. someone with a med-deep stack raises to 4-6 BB. two or three other people with at least med. stacks call. from LP i call, as i figure if i hit my set and the board's not too scary i could win a huge pot. but from EP or MP i don't know what the smart play is (admittedly, i'm new to NL, and i'm not sure my LP play is smart either, but at least there's some logic behind it...).
i know when more people call a raise i need to tighten up but when i'm going for a set, it seems like the logic reverses a bit.
advice?

BombayBadboy
10-21-2006, 07:38 AM
With small pp's you want multiway action, and a raised pot. After the flop, you can easily drop it if you don't hit your set. First to act in MP or LP I usually raise them up, ad try to take it down with a c-bet if called. If I hit my ste, its usually wel disguised. If the game is loose like you said, just limp and call a reasonable raise preflop, even in EP.

PietM
10-21-2006, 02:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
With small pp's you want multiway action, and a raised pot. After the flop, you can easily drop it if you don't hit your set. First to act in MP or LP I usually raise them up, ad try to take it down with a c-bet if called. If I hit my ste, its usually wel disguised. If the game is loose like you said, just limp and call a reasonable raise preflop, even in EP.

[/ QUOTE ]

My action plan too. I loooooove hitting a set against a PFR. Just bet into them, and they will very often reraise you. Easy money /images/graemlins/wink.gif