PDA

View Full Version : If it's illegal why don't they arrest us

ericicecream
10-21-2006, 05:31 AM
The general interpretation of the legislators seems to be that poker is "unlawful internet gambling" covered under the wire act of 1961. It also seems that the media accepts this as truth and many citizens then do also because it has never been challenged.

It would be interesting if someone/someones did a public display of online poker and invited media to cover it, saying if it's illegal why don't they arrest us.

This is the way laws are challenged in this country.

Obviously, some thought should be put into whether this could backfire too, and of course a team of lawyers should be lined up in advance for this.

Thoughts? (Other than "let us know when you're doing it")

jmillerdls
10-21-2006, 05:42 AM
because it isn't illegal to play online poker, and never has been.

not sure how people that pay any attention at all can still not realize that playing online poker has nothing to do with anything.

ericicecream
10-21-2006, 05:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's exactly the point of why you do this. Legislators want people to think it's illegal-> media reports that it is illegal because the legislators say so. This is a challenge that the media can cover which may change their minds on the legality issue.

-Nemesis-
10-21-2006, 10:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]

It would be interesting if someone/someones did a public display of online poker and invited media to cover it, saying if it's illegal why don't they arrest us.

This is the way laws are challenged in this country.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like a great idea...

Maybe Ali G will do it.

jmillerdls
10-21-2006, 01:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's exactly the point of why you do this. Legislators want people to think it's illegal-> media reports that it is illegal because the legislators say so. This is a challenge that the media can cover which may change their minds on the legality issue.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I'm going to go into the park, and eat some bread. Maybe I'll get some media coverage for that, given that it isn't illegal, but I'm doing it anyway!

solucky
10-21-2006, 01:28 PM
After the election the perhaps do it....u support terror via the Internet.........endless on a small place in Kuba:).

ericicecream
10-21-2006, 01:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I'm going to go into the park, and eat some bread. Maybe I'll get some media coverage for that, given that it isn't illegal, but I'm doing it anyway!

[/ QUOTE ]

I really don't think that the media is under the impression that eating bread is illegal, but many of them are under the impression that playing poker online is illegal and they are spreading that impression to the rest of the country.

jmillerdls
10-21-2006, 02:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I really don't think that the media is under the impression that eating bread is illegal, but many of them are under the impression that playing poker online is illegal and they are spreading that impression to the rest of the country.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think the media is under that impression at all...just the uninformed casual player. The only media under that impression would be those that have no knowledge of the information they are writing about, and no ability to take 20 seconds to look at it.

permafrost
10-21-2006, 03:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Where?

jmillerdls
10-21-2006, 03:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Where?

[/ QUOTE ]

umm, I'm not sure...where do YOU think?

blueodum
10-21-2006, 04:30 PM
It's illegal in Washington state and Illinois, and some other states.

Bilgefisher
10-21-2006, 05:40 PM
Now there is a pretty good idea for a rally. Grab your labtops, sit on the courthouse steps of some state (preferably within wifi range) Have big posters that state "If its illegal, arrest us!" while playing poker on those labtops. Make sure you get media attention during this. I think that would open some eyes.

bkholdem
10-21-2006, 05:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Now there is a pretty good idea for a rally. Grab your labtops, sit on the courthouse steps of some state (preferably within wifi range) Have big posters that state "If its illegal, arrest us!" while playing poker on those labtops. Make sure you get media attention during this. I think that would open some eyes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't mean to be a killjoy because i would like to see something like this but...

there have been a lot of demonstrations for/against abortion with lots of arrests, etc due to more than just sitting there off to the side peacefully (they block doors and stuff) and the struggle or whatever continues.

i would participate in a rally but i am not optomistic that the general public will get riled up about this issue to support our rights.

Bilgefisher
10-21-2006, 07:58 PM
I understand and agree with your point, but this type thing would be more of an awareness type of issue. "Hey, did you know its not illegal to play poker online".

Patrick del Poker Grande
10-21-2006, 08:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I understand and agree with your point, but this type thing would be more of an awareness type of issue. "Hey, did you know its not illegal to play poker online".

[/ QUOTE ]
Right, but you don't want the headline to be "online poker players arrested on courthouse steps," regardless of what you were actually arrested for.

permafrost
10-21-2006, 10:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Where?

[/ QUOTE ]

umm, I'm not sure...where do YOU think?

[/ QUOTE ]

I asked because you sounded very sure you knew somewhere that "isn't illegal". I was unsure of a location. Now you say "I'm not sure" when I ask you to share. Is it secret or are you not sure?

Fishy McDonk
10-23-2006, 05:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If it's illegal why don't they arrest us

[/ QUOTE ]

Cops don't like to go door to door to arrest criminals. They prefer giant sting operations where they can net many at once.

Instead of getting a letter in the mail telling us we've won free superbowl tickets and come pick them up, there will be some incredible bonus/signup offer for US residents that will spread like wildfire on 2+2 and suck everyone in.

MOMOwheeler
10-24-2006, 12:25 PM
The Michigan law states that winning any amount of money from playing cards outside of a state regulated enviornment is a Misdurmeanor, punishable by 90 days in jail and a $1000 fine.

TomVeil
10-24-2006, 05:27 PM
Some people actually did this in Washington when the law here passed. Nothing was done, and nobody really cared. Now getting 50000 people in DC playing may do something /images/graemlins/smile.gif

SlapPappy
10-24-2006, 06:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Where?

[/ QUOTE ]

Kansas.

Wake up CALL
10-24-2006, 07:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Where?

[/ QUOTE ]

Kansas.

[/ QUOTE ]

Carla Stoval AG for Kansas in 2001 would disagree with you.

permafrost
10-25-2006, 01:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Where?

[/ QUOTE ]

Kansas.

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you know that playing online poker in Kansas is not illegal?

damaniac
10-25-2006, 02:24 AM
Because there are better things they could be doing.

Because it isn't going to get them positive media attention, and prosecutors are elected.

Because if a defendant decides not to plead and fights it, juries may well use jury nullification to beat them anyway. (For those not familiar, we don't really regulate the jury's actual reasoning in coming to a verdict. We just regulate what they get to see. So they could technically, in spite of all instructions, let a defendant off because they simply don't believe in the law. They're not told they can do this, but they always have that ability. It might rear its head in just this situation, since few people want to send someone to jail for playing poker.)