PDA

View Full Version : Shelly Berkley on the Circuit

Gunslinger1988
10-20-2006, 11:02 PM
This is the congresswoman from Las Vegas who stood up to Frist's underhanded tactics. cardplayer.com/thecircuit about 20 minutes into the program. She had a nice interview ( she basically said what we do in our own home for entertainment is none of the government's business, as long as we are not harming anyone else).
Her most important point is that we HAVE to vote and stand up for what we belive in. She said that thousands of signatures were submitted from church petitions supporting the bill. She also said Horse Racing had a powerful lobby, but poker players were not heard from.
A nice quote from Congresswoman Berkley " politicians respond to two things: Money and votes". Not my idea of a great political system but her point is taken. We need to vote on Nov. 7th and encourage others to vote too.

Xhad
10-20-2006, 11:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A nice quote from Congresswoman Berkley " politicians respond to two things: Money and votes". Not my idea of a great political system but her point is taken.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, what exactly is the alternative?

ericicecream
10-20-2006, 11:43 PM
She didn't exactly put it this way, but I think her main advice was that poker players as a group do not have a voice in congress and need to get one.

She stressed what a big voice the horse racing industry has.

candyman718
10-21-2006, 12:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A nice quote from Congresswoman Berkley " politicians respond to two things: Money and votes". Not my idea of a great political system but her point is taken.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

To start with : votes should come before money.

candyman718
10-21-2006, 12:17 AM
Follow that up with a constitution and judges that protected the rights of the minority to so as they pleased as long as they didn't explicity harm anyone else.

MikeSmith
10-21-2006, 12:23 AM
she didnt consider it a great system, but she is just telling it straight, thats how your voice carries weight in this system as sad as it may be

Xhad
10-21-2006, 12:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So can you explain to me in OP's quote where it's implied that money > votes?

candyman718
10-21-2006, 12:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats the order you listed them in. Coincidently, that is their order of importance in our current system.

Xhad
10-21-2006, 03:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats the order you listed them in. Coincidently, that is their order of importance in our current system.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

jrbick
10-21-2006, 04:50 AM
Just listened to this. Definitely worth a listen and she points out EXACTLY what our action ought to be: VOTE.

Everyone seems to think that we're helpless here but we're not if we coalesce and do everything that we can that is in our power to do.

roxtar
10-21-2006, 03:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There really is no other (better) alternative. Unfortunately we've allowed our wonderful political system to become corrupt and misused by those that care more about money than they do about the best interest of our constituents. I think that our forefathers have rolled themselves out of their graves from seeing what has become of this political system in the past 50+ years, both in terms of corruption and governmental interference in our lives.

Gunslinger1988
10-21-2006, 06:32 PM
I think a viable 3rd party would really help. If someone runs for president in 2008 that can bring together the Regan republicans and the moderate democrats into a NEW party or as an independent could win.

jah7_fsu1
10-21-2006, 08:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think a viable 3rd party would really help. If someone runs for president in 2008 that can bring together the Regan republicans and the moderate democrats into a NEW party or as an independent could win.

[/ QUOTE ]

This has next to no chance of happening, although it might be a nice thought. In the meantime, it's all democrat for me.

jrbick
10-21-2006, 09:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This has next to no chance of happening, although it might be a nice thought. In the meantime, it's all democrat for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

As long as people continue to look at the issue and conclude that "it will never happen," you're right, it won't. Do you see why?

jah7_fsu1
10-21-2006, 10:08 PM
I said it was a nice thought, I'm being a realist knowing that it has next to no chance of happening anytime soon. I think it would be good for things of course, I think most people think that. Me voting democrat because I think they have my best interests and not ignoring my voting right BECAUASE a third party isn't out that's got all my interests is what all be doing.

jrbick
10-21-2006, 10:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I said it was a nice thought, I'm being a realist knowing that it has next to no chance of happening anytime soon. I think it would be good for things of course, I think most people think that. Me voting democrat because I think they have my best interests and not ignoring my voting right BECAUASE a third party isn't out that's got all my interests is what all be doing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't disagree with you and I certainly think you should vote however you'd like to vote.

I pointed out our "correctness" in your statement:

[ QUOTE ]
This has next to no chance of happening...

[/ QUOTE ]

by saying

[ QUOTE ]
As long as people continue to look at the issue and conclude that "it will never happen," you're right, it won't. Do you see why?

[/ QUOTE ]

What you say is "realism" is based upon a large assumption that people will never choose to vote differently. Your assertion may be correct, but can only be proved by results.

All I point out is that as long was we each have CHOICE of how to vote, it certainly is not unrealistic to think that a 3rd party would have a shot at office. I for one would love to see us put the electoral college to a decision like that LOL!