PDA

View Full Version : Philosophy of Facial Hair

captain2man
10-20-2006, 05:01 PM
OK - maybe this should have gone in OOT - but as a lurker in this particular forum, I think that the deepest thinking goes on in this forum, out of all the 2+2 forums.

Now - this isn't a philosophical question of life & death, or religion, or anything like that....it might seem like a silly subject, but I'm actually interested in getting some deep thoughts on this.

Most posters on 2+2, I'm assuming are male. And each of us males has to deal one way or the other with facial hair.

Some of us are clean shaven, some of us have full, thick beards, some have goatees, some have mustaches, etc.

How we choose to present what is probably the most looked at part of our bodies - our faces - I think probably says a lot about ourselves - even if we don't give it too much thought.

I have to think that it's more than just a willy-nilly thought that goes into how we deal with facial hair, or lack thereof.

I alternate every few years between a full beard (which I don't like all that thick - I use a beard trimmer, level 2, every couple of weeks) and clean-shaven.

I guess I have to say that when things are going great & I'm going through a period of a lot of self-confidence, I tend to be more clean-shaven. When things aren't as bright - I tend to grow in the beard & grow my hair a little shaggier.

But - in general - I think I do like the look of a beard more than the look of being clean-shaven.

I've tried the goatee - but it didn't work for me.

A mustache is totally out of the question.....not that I think they look bad on all people...but there's something about a mustache that I just KNOW isn't me....although I can't quite articulate why - and I guess these are the types of thoughts I'm looking for.

Why would one person be a "mustache guy" and another person wouldn't be? Is there some fundamental trait that men who grow mustaches share?

I don't really know what I'm looking for here - it's not an ultra-specific question....and I don't even know if it's going to garner too many serious responses....but it is something I've been thinking about, and I figure the best possible thoughts would be found on this forum over any other.

samsonite2100
10-20-2006, 05:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why would one person be a "mustache guy" and another person wouldn't be? Is there some fundamental trait that men who grow mustaches share?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hint: they like other men.

Sideburns are the answer you seek.

madnak
10-20-2006, 05:24 PM
I look 15 without facial hair, so for me it's a foregone conclusion.

Also I feel much freer letting it all grow. I do trim my beard, because I just look too ridiculous otherwise. And I'm considering a hair trim now that it's getting long again. But I might just see where it goes.

I'm sure a lot of this is just culture. Obviously in the Arab world beards are going to mean something very different. These days the "hippie legacy" is still screwing things up. Long hair seems lame. And to advertise a lack of control just seems stupid. I don't know what happened with all that.

I do know that when my hair is short, even though people tell me I look better, I don't feel like "me." I've spent many years with short hair and there's always a shock on looking into a mirror - who is this person? So I've decided for the time being not to go short. And my level of confidence has actually improved, even though I have a [censored] clown afro right now. I feel more comfortable in my own skin when I feel like "me," even if I look ridiculous according to the fashion folks.

Lestat
10-20-2006, 10:05 PM
Sorry if this answer gets a little too profound for some, but I have found it is whatever woman in my life who is the main controlling force that dicates what if any, facial hair I have and how I look best.

hmkpoker
10-20-2006, 10:12 PM
I cannot grow facial hair, so it is a non-issue.

MidGe
10-20-2006, 10:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How we choose to present what is probably the most looked at part of our bodies - our faces - I think probably says a lot about ourselves - even if we don't give it too much thought.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/confused.gif You mean it says how vain we are?

vhawk01
10-20-2006, 11:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I cannot grow facial hair, so it is a non-issue.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto, but every once in a while I give it a valiant effort, to the dismay of others and the shame of one.

Dan BRIGHT
10-21-2006, 06:29 PM
I ditch facial hair b/c it kills my boyish good looks

captain2man
10-22-2006, 12:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not entirely sure what this means....we have no choice BUT to have a face...we have no choice about having facial hair - so - are you saying that we are vain if we do anything OTHER than just doing nothing with how the hair on our face grows in?

ShakeZula06
10-22-2006, 12:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Probably to the same degree that it makes us vain when we decide what clothes we wear I'd guess.