PDA

View Full Version : JJ sucks ($25 6 max)

SupremeIceBeam
10-20-2006, 04:56 PM
Alright, I'm pretty new to the whole NL thing so I'm very sorry if these hands are incredibly standard and easy decisions.

My 3rd hand at the table and I've never played with anyone before so unfortunately no reads...

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (6 handed)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

BB ($47)
UTG ($2.55)
MP ($48.30)
CO ($8.75)
Hero ($26.30)
SB ($28.50)

Preflop: Hero is Button with J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls $0.25, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $1</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $3</font>, SB calls $2.90, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG folds, MP calls $2.

Flop: ($9.50) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $6</font>, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $33</font>, Hero?

Same Villian...

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (5 handed)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

MP ($36.55)
<font color="#C00000">Button ($52.85)</font>
<font color="#C00000">SB ($2.65)</font>
<font color="#C00000">Hero ($26.60)</font>
UTG ($39.45)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $1</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $2.65</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $6</font>, Button calls $5.

Flop: ($14.65) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Oh, he called... /images/graemlins/confused.gifNow what?

EMc
10-20-2006, 05:02 PM
Bet. Also im gonna take the results out so you can get advice on the first hand.

Acein8ter
10-20-2006, 05:21 PM
2nd hand. Your playing .25 and you see this action: Button raises to $1 (4xbb), SB raises to $2.65 (10+xbb).
Do you think your J's are good with a 10xBB raise in front of you? I'd put him on AA, KK. (Maybe QQ or AKs)

In this situation, I think it's better to call it and see the flop than to 3 bet. If you flop a set, your going to take a stack...

On the other hand, you could also be rep'ing A's, so bet away on most flops... Another thing to consider is that your sandwiched between the SB and Button.

KingOfSwords
10-20-2006, 05:26 PM
First hand: I don't mind folding here. I interpret his check-raise as strength. Keep an eye on him and see how often he makes moves like that.

Second hand: Bet the flop, fold to a raise. This could be QQ+. It could also be AK, AQ or TT. It's likely that you're beat but it isn't a sure thing, which is why I c-bet. Now, if he calls, that's more difficult.

Unfortunately, a lot of this is read-based and you haven't been able to get a read on him yet. Hang in there and watch him play. If you see a few more check-raises out of him I'm much more likely to push following his check-raises.

SupremeIceBeam
10-20-2006, 06:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
2nd hand. Your playing .25 and you see this action: Button raises to $1 (4xbb), SB raises to $2.65 (10+xbb).
Do you think your J's are good with a 10xBB raise in front of you? I'd put him on AA, KK. (Maybe QQ or AKs)

[/ QUOTE ]
SB's raise is all-in. Does this change anything?

Acein8ter
10-20-2006, 09:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's really up to you and your reads and style of playing. At the .25 tables, some people think that ATs, KJs, QJs are hands to go AI with. Some people will go AI w/66 - 99, QTo, JTo, etc... It just depends upon the person or 'Donk'...

Some people will only push w/AA, KK, QQ when they know they have a big edge. If you run up against this type of person in the SB, your just under 20% favored to win w/your J's. You don't want to be in that position.

Check out HOH, that will improve your PF play.

hanster
10-22-2006, 06:45 AM
Fold first hand I guess since you just started your sesh. You can put your money in at a better time. Lead the flop because chances are btn was stealing blinds pf.

ama0330
10-22-2006, 06:51 AM
First hand is fine preflop, maybe a little bigger with the raise, but its an easy fold. Second hand, I don't 3 bet this, I'd be flat calling and trying to see a flop. There's a really good chance that you're toast. As played, I think you have to lead the flop, but given how big the pot is now you are basically committing yourself so you have to be prepared to go all the way with it, which makes me a little uncomfortable.

Mjafish
10-22-2006, 06:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Fold first hand I guess since you just started your sesh. You can put your money in at a better time.

[/ QUOTE ]
what does this have to do with anything?

fwiw, fold the first hand, because you're beating nothing.

and the 2nd hand, why are you raising with JJ after a raise and reraise? you get a fold like never, and unless you were planning to rep AA, then just call villain's reraise pf.

kokiri
10-22-2006, 07:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's really up to you and your reads and style of playing. At the .25 tables, some people think that ATs, KJs, QJs are hands to go AI with. Some people will go AI w/66 - 99, QTo, JTo, etc... It just depends upon the person or 'Donk'...

Some people will only push w/AA, KK, QQ when they know they have a big edge. If you run up against this type of person in the SB, your just under 20% favored to win w/your J's. You don't want to be in that position.

Check out HOH, that will improve your PF play.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure that HOH has a good example of why I like you pf play here. A short stack's range for an all in move is much wider the AA, KK, QQ, AK unless you have a good read. Moreover, your losses against the reraiser are limited to 10BB at worst. Folding here is very weak, IMO.

Calling is also a mistake. Your only concern is the original raiser. If you flat call the reraise, then the dead money in the pot makes calling much more attractive for him to come too. The odds are strongly that you have the better hand so rereraising to charge him, I like. Yeah he might have AA-QQ, but there's no real reason to suspect that, so pop it up to try to push him out.

That he called suggests that AA, KK are unlikely, QQ possible, a lower PP most likely, 2 other cards should be unlikely, but given it's $25NL, not impossible.

If he has called with a worse PP, then he needs to win ~8x the $5 he called when he hits a set to make the pf call EV neutral. The most he can win is your $26, the SB's $3 plus the $1 he already put in, so you can happily go broke here against a set, ignoring QQ as a possible hand.

I would bet 8-10 and call a push.

First hand is a fold.