PDA

View Full Version : An Autistic Ability

Shack
01-30-2006, 04:25 AM
In Junior High there was an autistic kid I went to school with that when given any specific year, month, and day back to early A.D., could instantly tell you what day of the week was on that given date. I don't know what the formula is for that, but because of the leap year, instantly figuring it out in your head isn't something a normal mind can do. He doesn't know how he does it and neither does anyone else I have ever asked. What do you think?

New001
01-30-2006, 04:30 AM
Some of the most intelligent people I have ever known were autistic. I don't have much to add beyond that.

gamblore99
01-30-2006, 05:00 AM
this is known as idiot-savant i believe. Some autistic people are very intelligent in math/music/memory. I used to work with one kid who could tell you how to get any were in the city by buses/trains. Had all the schedules memorized.

Although they can do a few tricks, that is pretty much it. You are not going to find another Einstein by looking through autistic populations.

MidGe
01-30-2006, 05:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Although they can do a few tricks, that is pretty much it. You are not going to find another Einstein by looking through autistic populations.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess a lot hinges on the definition of autism There are a number of categories, some borderline (the one who comes to mind immediately is Asperger syndrome), which manifest in part as an above average IQ in the individual.

soon2bepro
01-30-2006, 05:30 AM
"The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success"

/images/graemlins/smile.gif

pvn
01-30-2006, 10:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
In Junior High there was an autistic kid I went to school with that when given any specific year, month, and day back to early A.D., could instantly tell you what day of the week was on that given date. I don't know what the formula is for that, but because of the leap year, instantly figuring it out in your head isn't something a normal mind can do. He doesn't know how he does it and neither does anyone else I have ever asked. What do you think?

[/ QUOTE ]

http://rudy.ca/doomsday.html

I know non-autistic people that have learned this technique so well they can do it instantly (well, within 2 seconds), too.

Shack
01-31-2006, 08:17 PM
Interesting. Thanks for the link. I think what bothers me the most is not him being able to do it, but how and why he learned to do it. He didn't go to a website and practice this skill.

ThinkQuick
02-01-2006, 04:53 AM
doomsday is the way to go.