View Full Version : 50nl 6max | J9s in position against good LAG

EMc
10-19-2006, 05:06 PM
Villain is a good LAG, 33/27/8

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.25/$0.50
6 players
Converter (http://www.neildewhurst.com/hand-converter)

Stack sizes:
UTG: $57.60
EMc: $95.15
CO: $28.75
Button: $59.50
SB: $77.45
BB: $37

Pre-flop: (6 players) EMc is UTG+1 with 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif
UTG folds, <font color="#cc0000">EMc raises to $2</font>, 2 folds, <font color="#cc0000">SB raises to $6.8</font>, BB folds, EMc calls.

Flop: 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif J/images/graemlins/spade.gif T/images/graemlins/heart.gif ($14.1, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">SB bets $8.85</font>, EMc calls.

Turn: 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif ($31.8, 2 players)
SB checks, EMc checks.

River: 2/images/graemlins/club.gif ($31.8, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">SB bets $11.85</font>, EMc calls.

Results:
Final pot: $55.5

Thoughts?

carnivalhobo
10-19-2006, 05:10 PM
what about him is a good lag, i only ask because i dont think ive seen a good lag yet from 25-200nl, most of them spew or are stations. that being said, fold preflop

ajmargarine
10-19-2006, 05:13 PM
Calling the reraise preflop is borderline goofy. I hope you are only doing that because of stack sizes.

The rest of the hand is fairly standard IMO. You want showdown on the turn and not be blown away with a c/r. His bet sizing indicates you have the best hand more often than he does. nh after preflop.

EMc
10-19-2006, 05:15 PM
AJ,

We are pretty deep, and he has been 3 betting liberally, and not afraid to play with stacks. I think the PF call is fine, esp with position.

hobo,
This is the first time ive ever called someone a good lag.

carnivalhobo
10-19-2006, 05:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
AJ,

We are pretty deep, and he has been 3 betting liberally, and not afraid to play with stacks. I think the PF call is fine, esp with position.

hobo,
This is the first time ive ever called someone a good lag.

[/ QUOTE ]

ok, seems reasonable then i guess, most good lags will have a big hand when they play a big pot, but he kept this one small. The river call is mandatory

ajmargarine
10-19-2006, 05:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
AJ,

[/ QUOTE ]

OK. Just remember you don't really want to play this type of hand for one pair only. You're looking for more than one pair against a reraise. You did get to showdown cheaply tho with TP, which is goot.

Note (to all): One of the biggest leaks in alot of TAGs games is not folding preflop to a reraise. Make sure that you are not just routinely calling every time you get reraised.

EMc
10-19-2006, 05:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
AJ,

[/ QUOTE ]

OK. Just remember you don't really want to play this type of hand for one pair only. You're looking for more than one pair against a reraise. You did get to showdown cheaply tho with TP, which is goot.

Note (to all): One of the biggest leaks in alot of TAGs games is not folding preflop to a reraise. Make sure that you are not just routinely calling every time you get reraised.

[/ QUOTE ]

AJ,

I am completely an advocate of what you said here. His bet on the flop to me seemed more CBish than Valueish, so I called. A full pot bet and ill usually just muck. One piece of advice i give noobs when starting out is dont play JT and QJ for top pair value.

gumpzilla
10-19-2006, 05:45 PM
If he's actually a good LAG, this seems like a pretty strange line to me, mostly because he should know that given his loose image that river bet is going to get looked up way too often. Thus, I expect him to be value betting on the river, and there aren't many things that he's going to be value betting that you beat. Maybe he thinks AT is good, but I would think that if he's gotten to showdown with a marginal hand he'd check/call.

kitaristi0
10-19-2006, 05:45 PM
For the preflop call to be profitable you have to make a certain amount of moves (i.e. win the pot without the best hand) postflop since 1. his range you say is wide, and 2. you say he is good so he's not going to spew off his chips to you so your implied odds aren't as good as they may seem. Even this deep I like folding to the reraise preflop.

orange
10-20-2006, 12:52 AM
I would fold PF most times. I think you played it fine postflop.