PDA

View Full Version : Can I get away from the small end of a straight?

Pythuz
10-19-2006, 11:12 AM
Both opponents in this hand are unknown to me as they've both sat down just recently.

Poker Stars
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.10/$0.25
9 players
Converter (http://www.neildewhurst.com/hand-converter)

Stack sizes:
UTG: $11.85
UTG+1: $19.90
MP1: $34.75
MP2: $20.65
MP3: $28.15
Hero: $44.20
Button: $9.75
SB: $20.80
BB: $8.10

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is CO with 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif
UTG folds, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 raises to $0.75</font>, 3 folds, Hero calls, Button calls, 2 folds.

I agree that this was a bad call preflop, everyone involved needs to be much deeper I'm sure. However, be that as it may, I did call and thats when things get a little tricky.

Flop: T/images/graemlins/spade.gif J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif ($2.6, 3 players)
<font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 bets $0.75</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $3</font>, Button calls, UTG+1 folds.

So, great, I flop the straight. Its also pretty unlikely that either of my opponents made the bigger straight so I feel I'm pretty good. However, I really want to discourage drawing and whatnot, so I'm definately not slowplaying this hand. Was the flop raise too small maybe?

Turn: 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif ($9.35, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">Button bets $1.75</font>, Hero calls.

Terrible card for me, and the only opponent left in the hand is very short at this point. Am I commited to calling off the rest of his stack (I think its about $6 at this point) Or can I get away. And even then, whats with the tiny bet?

River: A/images/graemlins/heart.gif ($12.85, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">Button is all-in $4.25</font>, Hero calls.

I really feel like I ought to fold here, but he's so short and I'm certain that top two and potentially sets play this similarly.

Any and all suggestions appreciated.

Shaddux
10-19-2006, 11:16 AM
I raise more on the flop and shove the turn against shortstack.

AJGibson
10-19-2006, 11:20 AM
Fold pf, without a read. As played pot sized raise on the flop ~$4. Turn card was bad but you stll gotta shove against a short stack.

the machine
10-19-2006, 11:21 AM
nope getting 4:1 against an unknown im calling here as well. in the title of your post do no post can i get away from this??? it lets everyone know you lost the hand and may jolt the answers.

use something catchy and lets people know about your hand. like "arse ended at a 25 FR"

Shaddux
10-19-2006, 11:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
nope getting 4:1 against an unknown im calling here as well. in the title of your post do no post can i get away from this??? it lets everyone know you lost the hand and may jolt the answers.

use something catchy and lets people know about your hand. like "arse ended at a 25 FR"

[/ QUOTE ]
Agreed...responses can be very biased based on title.

Just out of curiosity, did villain have KQ or QJ?

Pythuz
10-19-2006, 11:32 AM
Thanks for the title suggestion, I'll be sure to pay more attention in the future.

What I really meant by it though was is should I be folding the low end of a straight against such a short stack, which I guess was answered above.

The results of the hand are in white below for anyone interested:

<font color="white"> Villain did indeed have KQo. </font>