PDA

View Full Version : How often is this a bluff

pho75
10-19-2006, 08:31 AM
Villian has been aggressive preflop and bets the flop almost always. He has been check raising out of position and taking down small and medium pots uncontested. He's been caught bluffing a few times. I have not been overly aggro pre and he should know I have a big pair or AK.

Ultimate Bet
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.10./$0.25.
6 players
Converter (http://www.neildewhurst.com/hand-converter)

Stack sizes:
UTG: $27.05
UTG+1: $32
CO: $11.15
Hero: $69.15
SB: $3.65
BB: $12.10

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is Button with K/images/graemlins/club.gif K/images/graemlins/spade.gif
UTG folds, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 raises to $0.85</font>, CO folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $2.9</font>, 2 folds, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif 8/images/graemlins/club.gif A/images/graemlins/heart.gif ($6.15, 2 players)
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $6.15</font>, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 raises all-in $29.1</font>, Hero ?.

wake_up
10-19-2006, 08:37 AM
Just fold. I think he has an A or a set more often than not here. if he's a tricky player he could have 6h7h or something but just fold.

homeslice
10-19-2006, 08:43 AM
If villian's that loose, I call.

_PokerStudent_
10-19-2006, 08:48 AM
Time to fold, if it is a bluff with the flush/straight draw, then you will more than likely be taken his stack soon.

I prefer to check here on the flop, you have positon on him and might (quite likely with your read on this player)get a weaker PP to bet.

bgoalie35
10-19-2006, 08:51 AM
Hero is OOP and Villain has already checked.

Edit: OP, I fold, but I'm a nit. If he's this loose, you'll have better chances to stack him in the future. Don't adjust to his loose image by making overly loose calls in return. Good LAGs are counting on that.

_PokerStudent_
10-19-2006, 08:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Flop: 5 8 A ($6.15, 2 players)
UTG+1 checks, Hero bets $6.15, UTG+1 raises all-in $29.1, Hero ?.

looks like hero has position to me......

bgoalie35
10-19-2006, 08:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha, you're right. Hero is IN POSITION and Villain has already bet. I meant to say, you can't check to induce a bet from Villain on the flop because you're in position.

pho75
10-19-2006, 09:01 AM
Would you call w/QQ or JJ?

HitNRunPoster
10-19-2006, 09:08 AM
Meh, call it. (no actual knowledge behind this statement)

_PokerStudent_
10-19-2006, 09:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha, you're right. Hero is IN POSITION and Villain has already bet. I meant to say, you can't check to induce a bet from Villain on the flop because you're in position.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, looks like I wasn't to clear there, meant to say, might get villian to bet a weaker PP on the turn (thinking he is a head or your scared of the A).

banana182
10-19-2006, 09:25 AM
Whether it's a bluff or not is less of a question in my mind. A more pressing question for me is what hands can beat me. With that A on the board, you have to wonder if he had AA (given his PF aggression), hit a shet, and shoved. In either case, you're not a sheriff so I'd fold.

xwillience
10-19-2006, 10:11 AM
i call this all day. It could be KK/QQ AK/AQ/AJ or a lot of other combinations. a set is possible but not likely. hed probably want to slow play it.

I might consider checking the flop through to induce a bluff but vs this guy i think betting the flop and having him c/r all in is money especially if you have a read that he likes to do it.

AJGibson
10-19-2006, 10:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
He has been check raising out of position and taking down small and medium pots uncontested. He's been caught bluffing a few times

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks like this guy likes to c/r bluff, and you're getting nearly 2:1. I'd say you're ahead often enough to make this call profitable.

nuts
10-19-2006, 10:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he meant irish position (first to bluff).

nuts
10-19-2006, 10:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he meant irish position (first to bluff).

[/ QUOTE ]

also, I vote fold, your behind to anything but air here, and he's probably giving you credit for the ace if you've been playing tight.

pho75
10-19-2006, 10:36 AM
I was the villian in this hand and hand AKo. I wanted to see if my line would work often enough to make it +EV against his range.

When he reraised me my first thought was AA, KK, or perhaps QQ. I suppose he could have AK, but I thought it was unlikely. He had a PFR% of 9 and I could not remember any reraise from him before. He was very loose pre and not very good IMO. Not a fish by any means just not that good. He was getting lucky and had started playing like he might have felt a little invincible.

I had beed playing somewhat aggro and had been check raiseing OOP often. I thought about folding but decided to call. I guess I could of RR and folded to a push, but that didn't cross my mind.

When I hit the ace on the flop I thought that if I bet out and got raised I would have to go with the hand as he would have AK more times than he would have AA. And if he just called I wouldn't know if AA/AK was slowplaying me or KK calling a C-bet. If he folded then I would just be making a worse hand fold.

I decided to Ck/R all-in thinking he would call w/AA 100%, call w/KK ~30%, call w/QQ ~20%, fold AK ~30%. I was sure he didn't have 88 or 55 and that the only hand that I would loose to would be AA.

The play seemed sound at the time but in retrospect I think it's -EV all the way.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on this. Also, what are some other ways you might play this hand.

Oh, of couse he had AA. If, he didn't I would have probably thought myself a genius and never posted this hand.

pho75
10-19-2006, 10:47 AM
That's the thought process I was counting on.

BTW, where did you get your avatar? It's hilarious. Are those bunnies gang raping pinocchio?

xwillience
10-19-2006, 11:09 AM
i misread the hand, I thought you had AK, not KK. I probably fold here. The only reason I was willing to call before was because we had a lot of Aces dominated and possibly KK/AA. this is a fold though.

Jouster777
10-19-2006, 12:34 PM
LOL...I bet it WAS AK up there initially

When I started reading this thread I thought a bunch of consistently good posters had gone nuts.

pho75
10-19-2006, 01:43 PM
Nothing? Just total spew huh?

kaz2107
10-19-2006, 01:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i misread the hand, I thought you had AK, not KK. I probably fold here. The only reason I was willing to call before was because we had a lot of Aces dominated and possibly KK/AA. this is a fold though.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow i read ur firt response and was like wtf. lol and i thought i misread the hand. then i assumed i was just a major nit. lmao.

yea i think this is a fold. he has some random A here way to often to make it a call even tho we r getting abotu 2 to 1 on our money. lay it down and look for a better spot to nail this lagtard

Sir Winalot
10-19-2006, 02:14 PM
I think you can just fold and feel good about it. Even if he likes to bluff he pretty much has to have you beat unless he's a total moron.

Jouster777
10-19-2006, 02:43 PM
its a bit convoluted at this point...you might want to post it again with you as hero

kitaristi0
10-19-2006, 02:44 PM
Easiest flop check ever.

xwillience
10-19-2006, 03:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
its a bit convoluted at this point...you might want to post it again with you as hero

[/ QUOTE ]

im not sure about reposting but this thing has gotten way out of hand. I dont even know how KK got worked into when OP had AK and villain ended up having AA. w/e.

OP- dont be so creative next time.

pokerchap
10-19-2006, 03:21 PM
it is rarely a bluff. you can never really call this. insta-fold IMO

pho75
10-19-2006, 03:32 PM
You're right. I think too much.

I just wanted an unbiased opinion of how many people would call this c/r w/KK or worse.

xwillience
10-19-2006, 03:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I just wanted an unbiased opinion of how many people would call this c/r w/KK or worse.

[/ QUOTE ]

was it AK in the OP? did you change it too KK?

pho75
10-19-2006, 04:05 PM
Yes, I had AK OP and faced a reraise preflop from a tight player that had to have AA,KK,QQ, or AK. Other than folding preflop, which I considered, this was the line I thought best at the time. I c/r him all-in thinking I could perhaps get a call from KK/QQ enough times to show a profit. I thought there's only 1 one way he can have AA and 12 ways to have KK or QQ.

bgoalie35
10-19-2006, 06:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

was it AK in the OP? did you change it too KK?

[/ QUOTE ]

The post was KK when I read it and replied this morning, so I think its always been that way. OP, it has gotten pretty convoluted now, so I would probably repost with the roles reversed if you want discussion on that. Also, you pointed out that your opponent in real life was loose preflop, which is kind of the opposite read you gave for Hero in the OP. If that sentence makes sense to you, you get a cookie.

As for your question, yes, I think most people here will fold KK or worse with that flop and a c/r all in.

pho75
10-19-2006, 06:44 PM
Let's just pretend this post never happend. Sorry.