PDA

View Full Version : 25NL 6 Max 2 Card Flush on the turn, smooth call or raise a c/r.

Vern
10-19-2006, 01:56 AM
SB stats after 40 hands are 20/7.5/11 I have not seen him call a bet post flop he either raises/folds.

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.10/$0.25
5 players
Converter (http://www.neildewhurst.com/hand-converter)

Stack sizes:
Hero: $28
CO: $20.60
Button: $13.50
SB: $9.15
BB: $49.35

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is UTG with J/images/graemlins/club.gif Q/images/graemlins/club.gif
Hero calls, CO folds, Button calls, SB calls, BB checks.

Flop: K/images/graemlins/club.gif A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif T/images/graemlins/club.gif ($1, 4 players)
<font color="#cc0000">SB bets $0.75</font>, BB folds, Hero calls, Button folds.

Turn: 3/images/graemlins/club.gif ($2.5, 2 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $1.25</font>, <font color="#cc0000">SB raises to $2.5</font>, Hero ????

I thought the smooth call on the flop was best as there are very few hands I am scared of.

On the turn he check raises me. Is a call or raise better here? I see the re-raise as confirming my monster and he could get away. A smooth call is only hurting me if he is executing a semi-bluff check raising with the A/images/graemlins/club.gif in his hand. I see my risk of being drawn out on pretty slim, so do I make more smooth calling the turn c/r and then b/rr the river.

CaucasianAsian29
10-19-2006, 02:10 AM
I usually like to raise the flop here, I'll make it $2.5. Then on turn make it $6, and call his shove.

Wait asec, sorry just assumed equal stack sizes-bad of me, so the line above is if you both had $25

I raise on the flop, then get him all in on turn. Don't slow play on the flop. The cards you want to come out are already out on the flop.

Pharcyde
10-19-2006, 02:19 AM
I feel pretty out of place commenting on a hand, but one thing about your post stands out. Did you ever stop to consider that Villain might have made a better flush on the turn? A9-A2 of clubs should all be considered in Villain's hand range, especially since you open-limped instead of raising pre-flop.

theUltimateHero
10-19-2006, 02:32 AM
i never fold here, you are best 95% of the time on the turn

Art Vandalay
10-19-2006, 02:40 AM
Since villain is shortstacked, don't bother to get cute with a slowplay here. Stack him and if he calls you'll probably end up winning a nice little pot, and if he folds its not a huge loss. It would just be depressing to involved in this pot with someone with less than half a buy-in and not get it all in.

Art Vandalay
10-19-2006, 02:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I feel pretty out of place commenting on a hand, but one thing about your post stands out. Did you ever stop to consider that Villain might have made a better flush on the turn? A9-A2 of clubs should all be considered in Villain's hand range, especially since you open-limped instead of raising pre-flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't play scared like that or you're going to miss out on a ton of value. Yeah, sometimes he will have the A high flush, but he won't a very large percent of the time, and you have to remember all the times he doesn't on the rare occassion he does.

Pharcyde
10-19-2006, 03:06 AM
I think in this particular instance Villain has the Ace-high flush more often than you and the op give him credit for. That turn check-raise would at least make me suspicious. Then again, maybe I just need to grow a pair and stop thinking about the worst-case scenario.

wake_up
10-19-2006, 03:38 AM
I really think you should raise the flop. He'll call with 2 pair or a worse flush draw of something. By doing this you also disguise your redraw, making the 3 bet on the turn look less like a flush (or course, if he has a flush he's coming along anyway).

Also, by betting a closer-to-pot-size bet on the turn you will get more value. and make it easier to get the money in if he check raises.

Vern
10-19-2006, 07:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Since villain is shortstacked, don't bother to get cute with a slowplay here. Stack him and if he calls you'll probably end up winning a nice little pot, and if he folds its not a huge loss. It would just be depressing to involved in this pot with someone with less than half a buy-in and not get it all in.

[/ QUOTE ]
That is why I posted it, I was trying to think of ways to get him to put that last $5.65 in. I raised enough to put him all-in, just in case he was on the A/images/graemlins/club.gif semi-bluff and he folded. Depressed /images/graemlins/smile.gif

jdefoe
10-19-2006, 07:40 AM
raise the flop to disguise redraw, push the turn b/c he will pay off with any 2 pair or a lower flush