PDA

View Full Version : Another Soldier's Dilema...

John21
10-19-2006, 12:59 AM
You're on a reconnaissance mission when you encounter an enemy scout, who surrenders.

Scenario 1) An enemy division is fast approaching and you must pull back. You tell the scout to get moving, but he refuses. Do you leave and allow him to return to his unit or kill him?

Scenario 2) You're being flanked, but have a narrow avenue of escape. The captured scout is willing to do what you tell him, however you realize at any moment he could alert the enemy and compromise your position. Do you kill the scout? Leave with the possibilty of him alerting his forces to your position? Trust that he won't alert the approaching units?

DCopper04
10-19-2006, 01:38 AM
1) I'd warn him that I'm going to shoot him unless he obeys me. If he doesn't, then I would probably shoot him non-fatally and leave him there. The only reason you would shoot him would be to prevent him from rejoining his unit and helping them, and I think if you wound him, he will be of no help, so that is good enough.

2) This one is much more tricky. I think I would probably keep a gun to his head and trust that he wouldn't alert the approaching units, because I can't see myself killing someone who is obeying me and is doing nothing wrong. But if he does alert the approaching units, I'd definitely shoot him in the head, because if he's going to try to get me killed, then I'm going to return the favor.

Shadowrun
10-19-2006, 02:52 AM
1. I would incapcitate him whether it be by force or a pill/chemical.

2. I would the same as above. (unless i need him to show me the way???)

vhawk01
10-19-2006, 07:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
1) I'd warn him that I'm going to shoot him unless he obeys me. If he doesn't, then I would probably shoot him non-fatally and leave him there. The only reason you would shoot him would be to prevent him from rejoining his unit and helping them, and I think if you wound him, he will be of no help, so that is good enough.

2) This one is much more tricky. I think I would probably keep a gun to his head and trust that he wouldn't alert the approaching units, because I can't see myself killing someone who is obeying me and is doing nothing wrong. But if he does alert the approaching units, I'd definitely shoot him in the head, because if he's going to try to get me killed, then I'm going to return the favor.

[/ QUOTE ]

Allow me to modify his hypothetical. If the prisoner tries to alert his compadres, you won't have time to stop him. A quick shout and they are on to you.

FortunaMaximus
10-19-2006, 10:44 AM
#1, since he refuses, presumably you have asked and threatened. A bullet would be expedient for your whole unit.

#2, killing him devalues whatever use he has to your unit and will still alert the approaching flanks to your position, if simply because carcasses do. Gag him and bring him along, because he will be an useful resource once your unit is out of danger.

She
10-19-2006, 02:06 PM
1) If he refuses to comply then he has clearly not surrendered and should still be considered as a hostile. I would inform him of this once and kill him if he does not comply. I think his memory and observations could sitll be of use to the enemy even if he were incapacitated.

2) First of all, I would not trust this scout to lead or help you in any way while still in possible danger. Second I would treat him as you would an unwilling prisioner. Keep him on a tight leash (figuratively, or literally I don't care), and make sure he knows that if you so much as think he is going to alert the enemy then it will be at the risk of his life. I would rather them find a dead carcass than a live witness. A dead man will never sell you out.

KUJustin
10-19-2006, 02:47 PM
If you're the scout do you alert your fellow soldiers?

FortunaMaximus
10-19-2006, 04:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting angle. Without hesitation, of course.

Misfire
10-19-2006, 07:07 PM
When you kill an enemy soldier, you remove one threat from the battlefield. When you wound an enemy soldier, you remove several.

She
10-19-2006, 10:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When you kill an enemy soldier, you remove one threat from the battlefield. When you wound an enemy soldier, you remove several.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh fine.. but shoot him in the mouth then as well as the leg so he can't talk... oh, and cut his fingers of so he can't write either.
Actually, that's too much bother. Just kill him. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

She
10-19-2006, 10:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
If you were willing to join up and risk your life to better your country, then by all means. This may be your chance.

FortunaMaximus
10-19-2006, 10:10 PM
If you're gonna shoot to disable and put the scout into temporary shock, go for a leg, not near anything that'll spurt. Have him gagged.

Tourniquet to the wound, have him assisted. Once out of danger, attend to him and let him recover from the shock.

It'll slow the unit down some, but I assume you already got wounded, so it's just another extra body.

TimWillTell
10-28-2006, 08:38 AM
With me, and I think with most, it will completely depend on how long I have been fighting at the front.
If it is a couple of weeks, then ethics of society still live strong inside me, and I won't kill him.
However, If I'm already in survival mode for several months, I kill him instantly, claiming self-defence.

CityFan
10-28-2006, 10:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You're on a reconnaissance mission when you encounter an enemy scout, who surrenders.

Scenario 1) An enemy division is fast approaching and you must pull back. You tell the scout to get moving, but he refuses. Do you leave and allow him to return to his unit or kill him?

[/ QUOTE ]

Kill him. He has not surrendered if he will not cooperate. As an enemy soldier who refuses to surrender he must be killed.

[ QUOTE ]
Scenario 2) You're being flanked, but have a narrow avenue of escape. The captured scout is willing to do what you tell him, however you realize at any moment he could alert the enemy and compromise your position. Do you kill the scout? Leave with the possibilty of him alerting his forces to your position? Trust that he won't alert the approaching units?

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, kill him. The risk is too great.

The reasoning behind my answers is that, as a soldier, I have committed to act in the best interests of my mission and not pontificate about the ethics of every situation that arises. I make a military decision in both situations, and that decision is to kill the enemy soldier.