PDA

View Full Version : state-by-state bans on ISP basis

Dusseldorf
10-18-2006, 03:07 PM
Supposing someone were banned by their ISP in a certain state. Would there be anything unlawful about getting a dial-up ISP from another state? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

jackaaron
10-18-2006, 03:33 PM
Your best bet is to retire, and move to Antiqua, or Isle of Man.

Dusseldorf
10-18-2006, 03:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Your best bet is to retire, and move to Antiqua, or Isle of Man.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm sorry but does this answer the question i posted?

PropPlayer
10-18-2006, 04:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Would there be anything unlawful about getting a dial-up ISP from another state?

[/ QUOTE ]

There is nothing illegal about doing that or using TORpark or a similar service to mask true location. What you do from there might be illegal or not. The act of masking location in itself is not illegal.

tehDiceman
10-18-2006, 05:41 PM
a better idea would be to use an anonymous proxy or ssh tunnels. far cheaper if you do it right. dialup + long distance would suck in the long run and all your winnings will go to pay for that unless you are playing big games.

Grinder
10-18-2006, 06:05 PM
People still pay long distance? I could not stand the Dial up Lag, nor the players at your table, no competition then so no $$$

tehDiceman
10-18-2006, 09:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
People still pay long distance? I could not stand the Dial up Lag, nor the players at your table, no competition then so no $$$

[/ QUOTE ]

figuring that he is going with an out of state ISP, i doubt they will have interstate dial numbers unless they are big, then they will probly get an IP for their state so it would do no good.

Thebes
10-18-2006, 11:28 PM
Geolocation by IP address is not very reliable. I doubt that it could realistically be used as a sole method for determining location by state.

gonebroke
10-19-2006, 12:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Supposing someone were banned by their ISP in a certain state. Would there be anything unlawful about getting a dial-up ISP from another state? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You would be charged for the long distance call to the out of the state ISP. Wouldn't be cost effective. Just use a proxy service instead. Plenty of those online.

brianmarc
10-19-2006, 12:04 PM
Re: Anonymizer IP strategy: Be aware that Party is cross-referencing your official country of residence against the country where the ISP you are using. Try this out for $30 for a 3-month sub at findnot.com.. They have servers in 5 countries besides the US. Note: Their IPEliminator does not work with PP.

Vitae
10-19-2006, 12:52 PM
I may not be understanding your predicament.

Are you banned from using a particular ISP in a particular state, or banned from a certain poker site based on your ISP?

If you're banned from a certain ISP, just use a different one. There's nothing illegal about that. Hell, you could even drive around with a laptop and connect to open wifi /images/graemlins/wink.gif.