PDA

View Full Version : mike sexson (sp?) book

smbruin22
01-29-2006, 11:42 PM
in toronto, i saw mike sexson's book (out for awhile) half price at a bulk, discount book store (inside yonge/eglington subway station).

can't remember the name of the series/company (WPT?) but it's the same series as erick lindgren's. at least sexson's looked like good value on word count pages, but i don't want the absolute basics like rules

has anyone found it useful? i'm not looking for it to be a bible ala miller SSHE or harrington 1. just wondering if A) has good advice; 2) interesting stories... once again, this is NOT a new book. just never seen anyone say anything about it on here.

it looked interesting, and for half price i probably should have just grabbed it.

didn't want to start a new thread but noticing more twoplustwo books on chapters/indigo shelves (harrington x 2, TOP and now SSHE). wouldn't mind seeing IPM or psychology as i'm getting to the point where i'd like to see a book before buying it.

ECDub
01-30-2006, 12:01 AM
Amazon has Sexton's Shuffle up and Deal. You can get it from an amazon dealer there for $0.74 plus shipping. I got Ron Rose's Poker Aces last week for $0.90. You can find good deals there sometimes. I got all the Lederer DVDs for less than $15.00 new.

Also, most of the 2+2 books on amazon have the "search inside" option where you can read a few pages and see what you think of the book, which is nice.

BTW, Sexton's book is not that great, thus the low price. It is very basic and not helpful if you play hold'em regularly.

smbruin22
01-30-2006, 12:05 AM
ecDUb... thanks!!... any top 20 poker books available used at good prices? my experience is that they aren't (although in 2 years, they will be - not saying poker will die, just saying most people just bought these books in the last 18 months).

MicroBob
01-30-2006, 01:30 AM
Sexton's book has a few somewhat entertaining tournament anecdotes. And a couple of occasional insights.
He mostly highlights his favorite WPT hands and discusses them.

It's been out for a little less than a year.
I got it for free in our little package of goodies on the PartyPoker cruise last March.

I certainly wouldn't have paid money for it though.
Not really going to help your game. Mildly entertaining in a few parts...that's about it.

The DVD in the package (I think it was in the book...maybe it was seperate) is somewhat amusing.

In one section, Mike Sexton gives you a little tour of his house in Las Vegas.

It's a nice house...but I really don't think that seeing Mike's personal exercise room or his own massage room is going to make me a better poker player.
I could be wrong though.

They were also showing all these different Sexton video-clips on the in-house TV channel on the cruise (Sexton roast, Sexton at the TOC is 99 or 00, the Sexton DVD) so there were some others we met talking about how the Sexton tour of his massage room was 'kind of creepy'.