PDA

View Full Version : IF Doyle got jailed? (hypothetical question)

John Rwanda
10-16-2006, 08:14 PM
Hypothetical question. WHAT IF poker legend Doyle Brunson got arrested and jailed as a result of doylesroom's decision to stay on and for his courage to be their public voice, would it be enough to ignite the poker community to publicly rally around this legendary figure - like they did in that Gandhi movie? Or would poker players be just content to "let the others do it" while they just stay silent in the sidelines hoping something good would happen that would benefit them?

Python49
10-16-2006, 08:18 PM
If Doyle got jailed im pretty sure there would be a huge response from the poker community as a whole.

OasisG
10-16-2006, 08:20 PM
what IF mattisow got jailed /images/graemlins/smile.gif?

jmillerdls
10-16-2006, 08:38 PM
The only way I see this happening is if people start sending checks directly to Doyle and he processes them into the site himself.

The law doesn't make it illegal to run a poker site, or have your name associated with it.

Guthrie
10-16-2006, 08:56 PM
It wouldn't be the first poker arrest for Doyle. I doubt he lays awake nights worrying about it.

LotteryOrPoker
10-16-2006, 09:06 PM
The Justice Department has already said they do not intend to prosecute players. They asked local jurisdictions to follow their lead. If he were just playing, he probably has little to worry about. If he were promoting the site, i.e. involved in the conspiracy he might have some concerns.

LotteryOrPoker
10-16-2006, 09:09 PM
Also, in regard to most state laws regarding online gambling .. They make a distinction between PLAYING and PROMOTING.

TransientR
10-16-2006, 09:47 PM
I doubt they would jail Doyle even if they could/wanted to. One thing about this sneak-it-in the backdoor legislation is it was able to fly below the radar due to Foley, Iraq, and the general ineptitude of the media.

But arresting Doyle, who has been lavishly covered and praised on TV, would make the Government look like they are picking on Grandpa for being good at cards.

Frank

Kneel B4 Zod
10-16-2006, 09:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If Doyle got jailed im pretty sure there would be a huge response from the poker community as a whole.

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly. just like we all came together to fend off this legislation!!

Lawman007
10-16-2006, 10:51 PM
Doyle getting arrested would be the greatest thing that could happen. Unfortunately, I don't even think the retarded monkey in the White House is that stupid.

Eponymous
10-16-2006, 11:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The Justice Department has already said they do not intend to prosecute players. They asked local jurisdictions to follow their lead. If he were just playing, he probably has little to worry about. If he were promoting the site, i.e. involved in the conspiracy he might have some concerns.

[/ QUOTE ]

If? You realize he promotes DoylesRoom.com, right? Don't know what you mean by conspiracy, though.

KajunKenny
10-16-2006, 11:08 PM
Which retarded monkey?

Gregg777
10-16-2006, 11:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Which one isn't a retarded monkey?

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

Guthrie
10-16-2006, 11:25 PM
If he does get arrested and jailed, I'd happily do a few months in the clink with Doyle and a deck of cards.

CaseS87
10-16-2006, 11:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If he does get arrested and jailed, I'd happily do a few months in the clink with Doyle and a deck of cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

why?

j2zooted
10-16-2006, 11:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

why?

[/ QUOTE ]

dont know about you, but spending a few months playing doyle for ramen soup and Kool-Aid would help my game im sure.

Lawman007
10-16-2006, 11:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If? You realize he promotes DoylesRoom.com, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Promotes it?! Hell, he owns it. I saw an interview with him in a magazine a few months ago where he was talking about selling it because it takes up so much of his time.

Lawman007
10-16-2006, 11:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Which retarded monkey?

[/ QUOTE ]

The one who actually looks like a retarded monkey.

LotteryOrPoker
10-17-2006, 12:02 AM
Where would you like to start, Sarbanes/Oxley or The Foreign Corruption Practices Act. There are so many things that can be brought into play here. The one thing that can't be brought into play is public vs. private company.

Sure, a company may have executives who worry about jail time, but there is more to it than that. Let's try for starters, they are worried over their relationships with Jack Abramoff. That would violate the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act.

Other than that, sites don't have a thing to worry about. There is no requirement to be on an exchange that says you have to be legal where you operate. If that were true, every major fund portfolio would be empty. Wake up.

-Nemesis-
10-17-2006, 12:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ditto

DrewOnTilt
10-17-2006, 12:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't going to say it but I'm glad that someone did. What makes anyone think that the general poker community would rally to his support when everyone pretty much ignored this pending legislation?

RedBaron__
10-17-2006, 12:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
would it be enough to ignite the poker community to publicly rally around this legendary figure - like they did in that Gandhi movie?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, poker community rally for Gandhi. Which movie you are talking about /images/graemlins/wink.gif

JOHNY CA$H
10-17-2006, 12:59 AM
If Doyle were to be imprisoned, I believe the proverbial [censored] would indeed hit the fan.

JOHNY CA$H
10-17-2006, 01:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Gonna have to narrow down the field a bit, Son.

tagtastic
10-17-2006, 01:14 AM
I believe this forum should now be devoted to finding out how to put Doyle Brunson in jail for violating this new legislation.

That would probably be the best possible thing to happen to reverse/change/eliminate this legislation. If Doyle was really crafty he'd turn himself in now, then setup a massive media campaign for Doyle's room after the fallout. He could make billions.

Lawman007
10-17-2006, 01:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Gonna have to narrow down the field a bit, Son.

[/ QUOTE ]

This guy (with my apologies to the actual monkeys):

http://www.aquilaarts.com/bushmonkey.html

Python49
10-17-2006, 02:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't going to say it but I'm glad that someone did. What makes anyone think that the general poker community would rally to his support when everyone pretty much ignored this pending legislation?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because if Doyle got arrested, alot of big name players in the spot light probably would all get together and organize something. The well known pros didnt do much at all to help prevent this from happening to online poker, all we really had was the PPA. You don't think if the likes of daniel negreanu, greenstein, raymer all organized something it would be more powerful? The reason the online poker community didn't come together was because there really was no leaders to step up and do it... i mean its the internet, the channels of communication are not as wide spread to the masses like people who are in front of the TVs and can reach mr joe schmoe whose at home watching. For example, that protest in DC that was organized by some lady nobody's ever heard of was horrible, if it had been helmuth, ivey, negreanu, raymer, and a bunch of other well known pros and better planned it woulda had a much better result.

cking
10-17-2006, 03:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

doesnt even need to be the poker comunitee. How do you think an average person who plays the old home game once in a blue moon and his wife will feel when they see on the news this nice old looking guy got arrested for having a safe secure poker site?

Even if they dont really approve of poker most are going to feel the government is bullying an old man, and considering most people are unhappy with our government anyway, it could easily blow not just big, but bigger then it rightfully even should (like they say in washington when it comes to scandles, go big or go home).

cking
10-17-2006, 03:51 AM
oh yeah and icing on the cake if they can fake some sexual messages to him from a republican congressman...

ericicecream
10-17-2006, 04:07 AM
I think if they were to jail someone for owning/promoting a site as an example, I think they would pick someone who is less sympathetic than Doyle. Doyle is like jailing your Grandpa.

I also think the gov't is happy to keep this crusade as low-keyed as possible, seeing how this goes then passing another law next year and receiving as little press over it as possible.

uncleshady
10-17-2006, 05:33 AM
Off Topic:

America's Card Room (and online poker room) does not accept Americans.

I chuckled.

Cooder
10-17-2006, 06:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I believe this forum should now be devoted to finding out how to put Doyle Brunson in jail for violating this new legislation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doyle has a press conference on the steps of congress: "I own a poker site. I promote it, and I cater to Americans. Contempt of congress? You bet!"

kylma
10-17-2006, 07:07 AM
I do find it pretty funny if people would start voicing their opinions more loudly FOR Doyle Brunson, like he was a victim, poor old man, while not rallying for their bread and butter.

"Hey, I didn't care about this legislation when it threatened my income, but look, they got Doyle , our mascot, let's go to barricades"

Suigin406
10-17-2006, 07:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

if he gets jailed, the high stakes players on FTP are gonna be ssssooo pissed that their dead money is gone...

Kneel B4 Zod
10-17-2006, 09:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because if Doyle got arrested, alot of big name players in the spot light probably would all get together and organize something. The well known pros didnt do much at all to help prevent this from happening to online poker, all we really had was the PPA. You don't think if the likes of daniel negreanu, greenstein, raymer all organized something it would be more powerful? The reason the online poker community didn't come together was because there really was no leaders to step up and do it... i mean its the internet, the channels of communication are not as wide spread to the masses like people who are in front of the TVs and can reach mr joe schmoe whose at home watching. For example, that protest in DC that was organized by some lady nobody's ever heard of was horrible, if it had been helmuth, ivey, negreanu, raymer, and a bunch of other well known pros and better planned it woulda had a much better result.

[/ QUOTE ]

a bunch of well known pros WERE affected in a huge way by this legislation. all of the guys who have equity shares or major interestes in online sites. the silence was deafening.

dashman
10-17-2006, 09:28 AM
Im sure hes gotten extensive legal advice.....dumb post...a better post would be What if Senator Bill Frist got jailed...his nickname would really turn into Mr. Fist then.

Cooder
10-17-2006, 09:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He'd get what he deserves:

"Sqeal like a pig for me, boy"

"You shore do got a pretty mouth"

"You're going to have a lot of friends in prison. Big, hairy friends. But you won't be able to see their faces becase you'll be turned the other way."

tangled
10-17-2006, 10:12 AM
Yes, if Doyle were arrested, the fight against prohibiton II would be strengthened. And yes, for that very reason, he probably wont be. But: If he provoked his own arrest in some grandstanding way, that good would be diminished especially outside the poker community. Also, the government has a dilemna when it comes to the question of arresting Doyle. Again, they would not want to arrest him because of the public outrage that would follow, but, if they dont arrest him, then how do they then arrest anybody else for the same crimes? I know law enforcement has discretionary power -- in other words, they dont have to arrest everybody who breaks the law, but they are not supposed to use that discretion as a PR play.

Either way they look bad.

BenA
10-17-2006, 10:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
in other words, they dont have to arrest everybody who breaks the law, but they are not supposed to use that discretion as a PR play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point, tangled. The thing is, there will probably be a few token arrests, but I doubt this will happen on any large scale. Too many arrests and trials lead to too much public scrutiny, and also increases the very small chance that an entity like the supreme court or the WTO takes decisive action. I think they just want this weak bill to wreak havoc on the poker world without them having to do much about it. They've put up an orange traffic cone in our parking space, but overly agressive enforcement could backfire.

Guthrie
10-17-2006, 01:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

why?

[/ QUOTE ]
Playing poker without ever learning the proper way, thousands of dollars.

Reading a lot of poker books, hundreds of dollars.

Getting advice from arrogant young jerks on 2+2, free.

A few months alone with the world's greatest poker player, a deck of cards, and nothing else to do, priceless.

John Rwanda
10-17-2006, 01:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
For example, that protest in DC that was organized by some lady nobody's ever heard of was horrible, if it had been helmuth, ivey, negreanu, raymer, and a bunch of other well known pros and better planned it woulda had a much better result.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. And what would really encourage people to go en masse for a show of force like this? Free clinics by the well known pros.

If a rally is organized, booths can be set up in which famous pros like Negreanu, Lederer, Duke, Sklansky, and others, can give free lessons and do townhall style interviews in which they will answer all sorts of questions from all comers regarding subjects like poker strategy, bankroll management, psychology, and of course, their opinions about the legislative landscape.

In addition, if pro envolvement hit a critical scale, perhaps poker playing Hollywood and sport celibrities like Pamela Anderson, Ben Affleck, Dennis Rodman, James Woods, and others would be encouraged to join if only to gain personal notoriety for themselves.

Plus, the whole affair is broadcast on all of the major blogs, discussion boards, online magazines, and sites so that the non-US players can also be allowed to express their support.

Maybe, Doyle should find a way to get arrested. It would certainly cement his legacy as a poker player if he did so. Because he would actually be going out of his self interest and project his contribution to the poker world at large.

betgo
10-17-2006, 02:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

why?

[/ QUOTE ]
Playing poker without ever learning the proper way, thousands of dollars.

Reading a lot of poker books, hundreds of dollars.

Getting advice from arrogant young jerks on 2+2, free.

A few months alone with the world's greatest poker player, a deck of cards, and nothing else to do, priceless.

[/ QUOTE ]

This post is priceless, particularly part about arrogant young jerks on 2+2.

craig
10-17-2006, 03:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes, if Doyle were arrested, the fight against prohibiton II would be strengthened. And yes, for that very reason, he probably wont be. But: If he provoked his own arrest in some grandstanding way, that good would be diminished especially outside the poker community. Also, the government has a dilemna when it comes to the question of arresting Doyle. Again, they would not want to arrest him because of the public outrage that would follow, but, if they dont arrest him, then how do they then arrest anybody else for the same crimes? I know law enforcement has discretionary power -- in other words, they dont have to arrest everybody who breaks the law, but they are not supposed to use that discretion as a PR play.

Either way they look bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Public outrage? What outrage would the government have to worry about or even bicycle cops? What makes you think that people would do anything other than his friends bail him out (if he doesn't PR)? One person, Doyle gets arrested, and people make a big deal, but being able to pass almost any law by fast tracking it, what is to be done? WOW (I just found out what WOW stood for on craig'slist today)?? And if you are going to rally support for a person getting arrested for 'breaking' this 'new law', it should probably be, for numerous reasons, someone that is not a famous pro. Doyle would gain lots of (or as much as a poker player can gain) exposure with or without your help. And even on a practical level, is Doyle the 'face of poker' one would want as their public symbol? What is going to happen once they come after the 5 year olds. How many 5 year olds can one cop arrest?

Lawman007
10-17-2006, 04:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What is going to happen once they come after the 5 year olds. How many 5 year olds can one cop arrest?

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF are you talking about? /images/graemlins/confused.gif There are a bunch of 5 year olds playing online poker?

Actually, that WOULD explain a lot of things.

Quanah Parker
10-17-2006, 04:49 PM
Why doesn't Doyle just turn himself in?

You know, for the good of the community.
Then, we could all turn ourselves in.
Fill the jails up.
Empty the universities and corporations.
Leave families, friends, parents and childern for THE CAUSE.

Anyone want to step up?
You, sir? You go first.
Go right ahead.
...I'm right behind you.