PDA

View Full Version : I'm getting interviewed on TV - help me!

Whitewash
10-16-2006, 04:08 PM
The local CBS affiliate here in Pittsburgh (KDKA) has set up an interview with me for a segment they want to do on online poker.

Here is the email I originally got from the journalist interviewing me:

[ QUOTE ]
Hey there,

I'm working on a story about college kids playing poker on the internet, and I'm told I should contact you about a possible interview.

The story would look at both sides of the coin - the up and downside of students playing Texas Hold 'em and other games for cash.

And whether this is a good way to pay for an education. I understand you've been successful, and I'd very much like to get your take on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I need to know how I should best summarize what was put on the Port Security bill, and how it has already affected the online world, and how it might in the future.

Also, please tell me in general what else you think I should say besides the legality of online poker. Thanks in advance. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

PS- I apologize in advance to anyone here from the Pittsburgh area who deserves more to be on TV than me. I'm just a low limit donk.

MagCFO
10-16-2006, 04:12 PM
Tell them how prohibition will not work. Several of the biggest sites have already came out and said they will still be offering poker to US players.

You can also tell them you know a couple people who were life long republicans, but will never be voting republican again. One of which is a 10 year military vet. This will have an effect at the polls.

LotteryOrPoker
10-16-2006, 04:13 PM
Make it easy on yourself. Say you and a lot of friends play online poker, you enjoy it, it is a fun hobby, you play responsibly, you don't harm anyone else, you are old enough to die for your country in war and you should have the right to spend your money in your own place of residence however you like. That keeps it simple, it is something most people will agree with, it is something most people can relate too and you don't risk making yourself sound like a douche by trying to give some eloquent speech on the law or legislation to later find out you were misquoting things.

Xhad
10-16-2006, 04:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Tell them how prohibition will not work. Several of the biggest sites have already came out and said they will still be offering poker to US players.

[/ QUOTE ]

Better yet, say that this law really only affects the casual, recreational player since the addicts this law is supposed to be "protecting" will probably find ways around it just as fast as anyone else.

AndyH69
10-16-2006, 04:22 PM
Watch the interview with Annie Duke, Mike Sexton and the PPA fella that was posted the other day.

Pay particular attention to what Annie says and try to take a similar line.

Think through all the negative questions that they will ask, and have good answers...

A few themes that spring to mind are:
- The time commitment required to play poker that could otherwise be devoted to studying
- The losses you may incur from time to time and how they affect you
- The fact that you perhaps miss out on hanging out with friends because you're sitting in front of a computer

Highlight the positive aspects. Perhaps mention well-liked famous people who play poker? Didn't President Nixon play poker? (Not sure how well liked he is as former presidents go...)

247boss
10-16-2006, 04:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Make it easy on yourself. Say you and a lot of friends play online poker, you enjoy it, it is a fun hobby, you play responsibly, you don't harm anyone else, you are old enough to die for your country in war and you should have the right to spend your money in your own place of residence however you like. That keeps it simple, it is something most people will agree with, it is something most people can relate too and you don't risk making yourself sound like a douche by trying to give some eloquent speech on the law or legislation to later find out you were misquoting things.

[/ QUOTE ]

good advice

Vern
10-16-2006, 04:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

Edit: I liked someone elses answer a lot better than mine, good idea.

Richas
10-16-2006, 04:29 PM
I like the emphasizing the hobby fun element but also making sure people know poker is about skill, if you want to be a world champion say so it is the American dream.

If they do ask about legislation just talk about the UK approach, really tight regulation, no minors, no rip off sites and tax revenue for the government incluing money to help problem gamblers. The UK legislated properly with cross party support, the US stuck a last minute amendment in on another bill that will not work.

In general though short sharp sentences - they will not be able to give you the time for a well structured argument if it's it's too long it will not get in. Soundbites are what they need. Also be happy - we're not all crack taking, drop out, terrorists comes accross if you smile.

AndyH69
10-16-2006, 04:30 PM
Yeah, that gets a thumbs up from me as well.

NCAces
10-16-2006, 04:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Think through all the negative questions that they will ask, and have good answers...

A few themes that spring to mind are:
- The time commitment required to play poker that could otherwise be devoted to studying
- The losses you may incur from time to time and how they affect you
- The fact that you perhaps miss out on hanging out with friends because you're sitting in front of a computer

[/ QUOTE ]

This is really good advice. Anyone going into a debate, or a lawyer going into a trial or oral argument spends a ton of time anticipating the questions they will be challenged with. Then practice your answers until you are comfortable saying them.

Others you might get:
- Aren't you breaking the law
- Isn't it a game of luck

Good luck.

NCAces

EMc
10-16-2006, 04:41 PM
When I did mine I made it a point to talk about how some people take it serious and arent wanton gamblers and seriously care about improvement of their game, and that I have used the money to help with my college education. I also wanted to make the point that the law was passed in haste and isnt a truly great law.

relayerdave
10-16-2006, 04:48 PM
Bust out a copy of NLHTAP and show the reporter some of David's EV equations...

dozer
10-16-2006, 05:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The local CBS affiliate here in Pittsburgh (KDKA) has set up an interview with me for a segment they want to do on online poker.

Here is the email I originally got from the journalist interviewing me:

[ QUOTE ]
Hey there,

I'm working on a story about college kids playing poker on the internet, and I'm told I should contact you about a possible interview.

The story would look at both sides of the coin - the up and downside of students playing Texas Hold 'em and other games for cash.

And whether this is a good way to pay for an education. I understand you've been successful, and I'd very much like to get your take on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I need to know how I should best summarize what was put on the Port Security bill, and how it has already affected the online world, and how it might in the future.

Also, please tell me in general what else you think I should say besides the legality of online poker. Thanks in advance. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

PS- I apologize in advance to anyone here from the Pittsburgh area who deserves more to be on TV than me. I'm just a low limit donk.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought hard about this.

Explain first and foremost that you like to play poker, be it online or otherwise, then explain that since it's still not illegal, technically, you're allowed to play it. If you're still stumped, then just say, 'BabaBooeyBabaBooeyBabaBooey.'

dozer
10-16-2006, 05:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps mention well-liked famous people who play poker? Didn't President Nixon play poker? (Not sure how well liked he is as former presidents go...)

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe our current and previous Presidents are both poker players (or were at some point).

Shoot, I am sure there are a dozen weekly poker games on the Hill.

Just another reminder how much garbage this bill really is.

jason75
10-16-2006, 05:56 PM
I do a lot of media work, so here's some simple tips:

1. Talk to the reporter before the interview. Ask him what kinds of questions he's going to ask. This should help prep you.

2. Don't try to be a know it all or give some kind of stump speech about how it was snuck through in the Port Security Bill. Nobody likes a know-it-all, and trying to be an expert on things you aren't an expert on is the easiest way to get yourself into trouble.

3. Keep your answers short(ish) and non-defensive. Try not to "explain too much" or dismiss legitimate concerns about gambling out of hand.

For instance, if they ask you about the dangers of gambling addiction, instead of giving an "everything's fine" or "I'm not addicted" kind of answer, you could say something like "Well, I'm not an expert on gambling addiction. I'm sure there's people out there who have problems with it, just like people have problems with a lot of things. But I think this should be a free country where people can do something they enjoy in the privacy of their own homes."

Hope this helps and good luck. If you can record the video and post it up, I'd love to watch it.

EasilyFound
10-16-2006, 06:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Spot on. You should run a political campaign.

Uglyowl
10-16-2006, 06:46 PM
I would stay away from, I make lots of money, pay for college, it's my job etc. This has always made me cringe when I hear this, not sure if it is just me?

Whitewash
10-16-2006, 07:29 PM
What should I say about what the new bill says exactly, and how it will affect online poker? (if he asks, which I got a feeling from the call he gave me that he will.)

TomVeil
10-16-2006, 08:18 PM
I'd be honest about that. Tell him that many sites are still accepting US players, and that taxation and regulation are the best ways to go.

One thing I tell my friends may help here too:

EVERY POKER PLAYER I KNOW would rather play on a site in which a portion of the profits goes to improving schools, roads, and hiring law enforcement. Right now, that's not an option, but we would like it to be.

cowboy.up
10-16-2006, 08:28 PM
Goodluck with the interview Whitewash - I'm from Pittsburgh and will be watching intently (no pressure).

I'd definately recommend going the recreational route as LotteryorPoker put it. When they ask about the bill tell them as stated above it hurts the recreational players and those addicted to gambling will find ways to play at the shady UNREGULATED sites (make sure to throw in the point that most of the current sites are regulated by some form of governing body).

Tell them that the bill does not make it illegal to play online...most people that have heard about the bill still think that it's now a crime to play.

If they start riding your real hard about the addiction aspect tell them to direct them to Don Cannon (the KDKA anchor who was out for a while battling alcoholism - turn some of those questions on him, heh).

Goodluck, think your responses through and make us all proud.

IndyFish
10-16-2006, 10:03 PM
Might be worthwhile to mention that horseracing and lotteries are exempted by the bill. You can gamble all you want at youbet.com. That's the part that irritated me, anyway. If you want to ban gambling, then ban ALL gambling, not just the forms of gambling that didn't contribute to your campaign.

Whitewash
10-17-2006, 02:29 PM
Hey guys,

I wanna thank everyone who gave tips. The reporter was really nice, though he did ask me some of the negative questions many of you helped me anticipate. I thought I might be really nervous but I felt like my answers were very natural since I was talking about something I love.

Some of the questions:
-How many hours a week do you play?
-Do you know anyone who has lost a lot of money playing online?
-Why do you think so many college students like playing poker (and Texas hold em in particular)?
-Does playing poker help you pay for college?
-Do you think you'll want to do this for a living?
-What website do you play on?
-Don't you feel like you aren't contributing anything by playing poker?
-How much have you made this year?

They asked me how much I've made online this year, which made me cringe... but they insisted I answer, so I gave a ballpark figure (15-20K... something most of you laugh at, but it got a "wow" response from the reporter and cameraman).

Andy Sheehan, the reporter, apparently also interviewed some Carnegie Mellon student who won 15K in a tournament recently, but I believe we were the only two he interviewed. After the interview, they filmed me walking down a sidewalk on campus with the reporter, and then filmed me walking by myself.

The segment will be on CBS here in Pittsburgh the first week of November - there should be promos on before hand. I'm thinking I'll be on for a good minute or two, not just 15 seconds answering a question or two.

I'll keep anyone from the Pittsburgh area posted on when it'll be on once we find out for sure. I'm hoping someone can find a way to get it on Youtube.

Coy_Roy
10-17-2006, 02:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hey guys,

I wanna thank everyone who gave tips. The reporter was really nice, though he did ask me some of the negative questions many of you helped me anticipate. I thought I might be really nervous but I felt like my answers were very natural since I was talking about something I love.

Some of the questions:
-Why do you think so many college students like playing poker (and Texas hold em in particular)?

They asked me how much I've made online this year, which made me cringe... but they insisted I answer, so I gave a ballpark figure (15-20K... something most of you laugh at, but it got a "wow" response from the reporter and cameraman).

Andy Sheehan, the reporter, apparently also interviewed some Carnegie Mellon student who won 15K in a tournament recently, but I believe we were the only two he interviewed. After the interview, they filmed me walking down a sidewalk on campus with the reporter, and then filmed me walking by myself.

The segment will be on CBS here in Pittsburgh the first week of November - there should be promos on before hand. I'm thinking I'll be on for a good minute or two, not just 15 seconds answering a question or two.

I'll keep anyone from the Pittsburgh area posted on when it'll be on once we find out for sure. I'm hoping someone can find a way to get it on Youtube.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you.

IWEARGOGGLES
10-17-2006, 03:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hey guys,

Some of the questions:

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL 15K.

/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

lennytheduck
10-17-2006, 03:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]

LOL 15K.

[/ QUOTE ]

you dick haha.

MrWookie
10-17-2006, 04:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

LOL 15K.

[/ QUOTE ]

you dick haha.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but how much did you lose ;-P

Whitewash
10-17-2006, 05:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sadly, that was the follow up question he asked to how much I won. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

tiltaholic
10-17-2006, 06:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sadly, that was the follow up question he asked to how much I won. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

perfectly done wookie.

jason75
10-17-2006, 07:23 PM
Good job dude. Just to be realistic, don't get your hopes up too much about how long you'll be on. I've given interviews that lasted quite a while to find that they pull one three second quote out of it or don't even include it at all.

The reporters are mostly going to edit for "story appeal" rather than trying to get at the heart of any issue. Which means that if they think a negative story will sell to the audience better they'll slant the coverage on purpose and take tid bits out of your interview to make you look like an ass. That's just TV news for you (which is pretty much why you shouldn't ever trust the TV news - local TV news being the worst about this).

There's no effective defense for this, so just cross your fingers. And BTW, good job again!!

llayner
10-17-2006, 10:24 PM
don't use the word gambling. game of skill, stick to game of skill.

MrWookie
10-17-2006, 10:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome.

Whitewash
11-02-2006, 04:21 PM
To anyone in the Pittsburgh area-

The interview will be aired on KDKA (CBS, channel 6) next Monday at 11 PM.

If anyone here has the technology to be able to record the video so it can be put on Youtube, I'd be extremely greatful.

NorthDakota
11-02-2006, 04:51 PM
I think you should be prepared for the Negative Questions. It's the negative questions that will trip interviewees up and confirm what our opponents are thinking!

Whatever you do... Do not compare Poker to other Vices when defending it... Don't say anything like "Prohibition didn't work with Alcohol and it won't work with Poker". Do not Mention addictions like Drugs or Cigerettes when asked about Gambling Addiction. If ever asked about Gambling Addiction make you sure you point out the hypocrisy of the legislation as much as possible... Mention the Horse Racing carveouts everytime you are asked a question remotely concerning addicted gamblers.

Bring up the numbers often. 23 Million People are playing on line poker. Bring up the Heritage and how Poker was played by your Grandfather and Great Grandfather and how it is an AMERICAN GAME OF SKILL passed on from generation to generation.

mc619pgh
11-02-2006, 04:54 PM
I'm in Pittsburgh and I'm definitely going to tape it. Any chance I can squeezed into the interview? Just askin'!

5thStreetHog
11-02-2006, 05:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm in Pittsburgh and I'm definitely going to tape it. Any chance I can squeezed into the interview? Just askin'!

[/ QUOTE ]Burgh here too,ill make sure i check it out.Btw,you guys see Malkin torch the Kings in O.T. last night?Sorry lol, ignore that question,not trying to degenerate this thread /images/graemlins/grin.gif

jlkrusty
11-02-2006, 06:15 PM
A good approach is to have maybe three main points that you want to get out. Organize and memorize those points in your head. Then, regardless of what the guy asks, somehow get those three points out in your answers.

Now, as for what those points should be, people have already made very good suggestions. One of your main points should NOT be that you win lots of money doing it. If I were doing it, my three main points would be:

1. People should have the freedom of choice. We are free to eat fast food, smoke tabacoo, and drink alcohol, but are being told that we cannot play poker on our internet. Where are the greater harms?
2. Prohibition of activities that most people don't really think is wrong has never worked. We tried prohibition before and it failed miserably. Better to regulate than to prohibit.
3. The legislation is hypocritcal. While trying to ban online poker, it makes exceptions for horse racing, lotteries, and betting on fantasy football. That's hypocracy at its finest.

Now, if you want to bring out different points, that is fine too. But, you just want to stay focused on getting your main points out. Don't let the interviewer take you on any tangents. No matter what they ask, always swing your answers back to your main points.

If they ask specifically what the UIGEA has done, I would say that it is not targeting any individual poker players; rather it is targetting banks by prohibitting them from making deposits with online gambling sites. This has caused some online gambling sites to exit the U.S. market, but several others have stepped and are welcoming U.S. players. Thus, the impact of UIGEA will likely only be short term. Again, this is because prohibition does not work. People will always find a way around barriers; it just temporarily slows them down. (Notice how even on this question, I eventually moved back to the point on prohibition).

Whitewash
11-05-2006, 01:47 AM
I'm pretty pissed - apparently I was told the wrong date, and the interview aired Friday night.

The video isn't on KDKA's website either. WTF.

big e
11-05-2006, 10:33 AM
Just ring them, tell them that you were interviewed and would like a copy.

Whitewash
11-07-2006, 12:56 AM
Here is the video for anyone who wants to watch them put three stupid clips of the most insignificant things I said on the interview:

http://kdka.com/video

I went into great detail about how poker is a skill game, that college students are generally honest with themselves about whether they are a winning or losing player, etc... but of course they aired none of that.

Also, would like to know if anyone knows how I can take this flash video and make it into a downloadable file. Thanks guys for everything.

Bilgefisher
11-07-2006, 01:19 AM
That was an extremely biased report by the news. It didn't help at all. Shame. Although I'm not surprised the edited your intelligent comments, it just doesn't make good news.

edit: Btw, I just fired an email off stating my displeasure on how this story was reported.

satelliter
11-07-2006, 03:39 AM
I agree with the poster on the sad state of TV news. Even CNN dumbs it down these days and the contrived banter really makes me puke. I can only stomach C-Span and occasionally the BBC.

I have to say that the issue shouldn't be whether or not prohibition "works" but `whether the the interference with individual freedom is justified. Prohibition of alcohol probably did save some lives and if it didn't stop alcohol consumption one could argue that it should have been enforced more strongly. The reason it was overturned I hope was that people wanted to drink, and the few who can't control their addiction are out of luck, just like those who can't control their eating. Prohibition was championed by religious fanatics as well.

kidpokeher
11-07-2006, 03:45 AM
I liked how he made a not-so-subtle comparison of Absolute to a crack dealer. First you get your free fix, then you're hooked. LOL.

CaseS87
11-07-2006, 04:02 AM
its weird how much people value money.

a local college student had a gambling debt of FIVE THOUSAND DOLLARS OMG!!!! would be funny to see a news story on BBV.

KajunKenny
11-07-2006, 04:09 AM
Leave it to the Media to find someone who ran up credit card debt and then robbed a bank. Some people do the same thing at Walmart, they gonna ban that too?

Give me a freaken break. The key here is that we are adults and if I want to lose money playing poker online. That's my business. I'd rather do that just because the government doesn't want me to, rather then playing the lottery, bingo, scratch off's or those damn video poker machines which are avaliable anywhere almost here in Louisiana.

whitepotatoe
11-07-2006, 10:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I liked how he made a not-so-subtle comparison of Absolute to a crack dealer. First you get your free fix, then you're hooked. LOL.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sites stake you after you become a member of the generation of gamblers. Deal me in if the websites are willing to stake me.

Computer saavy gambling children have already found a way around the recently passed law banning credit cards. Paying for something with a payment method other than a credit card... WHAT?????

Yeah, that reporter is a douchebag.

Kevmath
11-09-2006, 02:57 PM
There's a writeup here (http://kickasspoker.blogspot.com/) that talks about the extreme bias of the KDKA reporter.

SlapPappy
11-09-2006, 07:31 PM
This dummy reporter mentions that the "high" cost of tuition is driving these students to play poker. Then incorrectly paints poker as the problem. The problem is the high tuition. He also forgets to mention that 98% of debt incurred from college is from huge college loans to cover the high tuition. Sent them a complaint email. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

elric
11-10-2006, 06:29 PM
Really sucks that when we go broke playing online poker we will all have to rob a bank.