PDA

View Full Version : can a foreigner play at party on US soil?

deezy455
10-16-2006, 01:40 PM
Can a foreigner play at party poker on US soil?

also, Can a US citizen play at party poker on foreign soil?

thanks.

omgwtf
10-16-2006, 02:21 PM
No. Party is blocking based on residence and IP address.

BarbarianX
10-16-2006, 02:54 PM
yes it's true. i'm swedish and can't play here, i've tried.

sandycove
10-16-2006, 03:00 PM
Since the legislation targets funding, this peculiar Party policy temporarily barring foreign visitors from play in the U.S. baffles me although, from a practical standpoint, it's irrevelant.

The greater issue is why Party continues to operate in dollars. I asked. The answer was an uncustomarily straightforward, "I don't know." A shift to Sterling or Euro would be the surest signal that Party intends to conform with both the letter and the intent of the legislation.

I expect the operators wish to keep opportunities alive to squeeze a bit of foreign exchange vig. I also expect them to nibble around the edges of the rake. I believe this has already begun. And I expect them to begin relatively soon extracting modest fees on credit card transactions.

Short term, Party will be taking an extraordinary operational hit gearing down to post-legislation volumes. Medium term, they will have anxieties funding debt service commitments that anticipated massive revenues. Long term, they will have to rethink player acquisition strategies, the most costly and most important aspect of its business.