PDA

View Full Version : Question for Christians

hmkpoker
10-15-2006, 06:15 PM
If god came to you, provided guaranteed metaphysical certitude of his existence and his claim, and told you that today, for one day only, anyone who died would go to heaven, would you kill yourself?

Would it be morally correct to bomb large numbers of non-christians too to save them?

BCPVP
10-15-2006, 06:19 PM
SMP?

JackWhite
10-15-2006, 06:27 PM
I guess you would have to know what percentage of people would go to heaven anyway. Plus, are we told by God that hell exists and is as bad as the Bible says?

If large numbers would spend eternity being raped by demons in a pit of fire and brimestone, then I think you could make the case that it would be morally correct to kill them so they could spend eternity in paradise.

hmkpoker
10-15-2006, 06:33 PM
[censored], I stuck this in politics by mistake.

ok.

Pauwl
10-15-2006, 07:29 PM
I'm an atheist but I'll pretend to be a christian for the sake of argument.

It would be morally wrong for christians to bomb/kill unbelievers to get them into heaven. This would be circumventing god's plan for these people and you would be basing your decision on having moral superiority to god. If god wanted them in heaven, then they would go to heaven. If they're not worthy of heaven, then you can't go against god's judgment/morals to try and save them. In fact, you would probably go to hell for doing this. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

gull
10-15-2006, 07:51 PM
Duh, who wouldn't?

FortunaMaximus
10-15-2006, 08:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Would it be morally correct to bomb large numbers of non-christians too to save them?

[/ QUOTE ]

With permission from an omnipotent being to do anything you liked to save the souls, you can claim moral neutrality.

That might be a step for Christians into understanding the Islamic fundie mindset... "Look, we're going to 'dise anyway, so let's have some fireworks and give him a hell of a show."

Sunday. The day where you get to offend everybody.

hmkpoker
10-15-2006, 08:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

With permission from an omnipotent being to do anything you liked to save the souls, you can claim moral neutrality.

That might be a step for Christians into understanding the Islamic fundie mindset... "Look, we're going to 'dise anyway, so let's have some fireworks and give him a hell of a show."

Sunday. The day where you get to offend everybody.

[/ QUOTE ]

Muslims don't believe that they're sending their victims to heaven; Christians, in this situation, would. In fact, considering that a 100% chance to go to heaven is much better than the probability that a non-believer will convert, it seems like a moral imperative.

FortunaMaximus
10-15-2006, 08:30 PM
The self-justification of the last instants of a suicide bomber's life would probably contradict that. Some, anyway.

Put yourself in the mindset, if you're somewhat sane, that may be the justification that gets you to finish the job.

dandy_don
10-16-2006, 11:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If god came to you, provided guaranteed metaphysical certitude of his existence and his claim, and told you that today, for one day only, anyone who died would go to heaven, would you kill yourself?

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

Cue-Ball 66
10-16-2006, 12:37 PM
Why would a Christian want to intentionally get non-deserving beings into heaven? Also, a devout Christian would most likely get into heaven anyway, without having to sin just to get there. Who knows, if you killed yourself God may find ways in heaven to punish you. He's probably got a sh*tload of chores to hand out.

hmkpoker
10-16-2006, 12:40 PM
Nope, there's no catch. Heaven now, or wait till much later.

If you really cared about someone, and knew that they were going to a firey pit of eternal torture, and had a method to completely avert this reality, wouldn't you take it?

Cue-Ball 66
10-16-2006, 12:52 PM
And your sins (murder, suicide) once you get to heaven will be forgiven?

In that case it's a no-brainer IMO.

FortunaMaximus
10-16-2006, 01:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Nope, there's no catch. Heaven now, or wait till much later.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, well, what the hell, let's all jump off bridges. I'd rather wait for the diapers and bimbo nurses bit, if ya don't mind. If it's there, it's there.

guesswest
10-16-2006, 02:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can sorta see why you might answer no to the second part of this, although I don't agree. But why on earth would anyone answer no to the first part? It seems almost true by definition that you should assent to this.