PDA

View Full Version : Raising flop w/4 flush

Georgia Mac
01-02-2006, 12:44 PM
Is there as much raising in NL with a 4 flush on the flop as in limit? Just wondering. I am new to NL and have not been able to see enough shown hands yet to figure it out myself.

svj
01-02-2006, 02:32 PM
I would say I only bet out/raise with a flush draw if I seriously think there's a chance I can take down the pot right there. Since betting and raising rarely gives myself proper pot odds, I need that fold equity to make it jive.

And God help the poor sod if he calls and you hit your draw...

Freerollin`
01-02-2006, 03:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would say I only bet out/raise with a flush draw if I seriously think there's a chance I can take down the pot right there. Since betting and raising rarely gives myself proper pot odds, I need that fold equity to make it jive.

And God help the poor sod if he calls and you hit your draw...

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that this is very weak. We're not playing draws to win small pots, so it's not just a bet-out/raise to cause a villian to fold, but to build a pot to get paid off if we hit.

I'm not saying that fold equity doesn't play a role in the decision of whether to bet/raise these hands; rather, I don't think it plays the primary role. There's also metagame aspects to this play. Say you bet out or raise your four flush, get called, but don't improve and end up showing it down. A couple hands later, you bet out/raise your set on the flop. Your opponent has no idea what you're holding. A made hand? A draw? When you bet out draws as well as made hands, you're taking the initiative, disguising subseqent hands, and overall, making life a bitch for your opponents. Sure, they'll fold sometimes, but even when they don't you've got some +EV going for you, even if it isn't on this particular hand.