PDA

View Full Version : "Moving" to another state?

Nonononono
10-15-2006, 09:36 AM
As a resident of a state prohibiting online gambling, what are my options now if I'm not prepared to actually move to a "non-illegal" state?

Would a P.O. box somehow be sufficient?

Edit: ... sufficient to convince poker sites to allow me to continue playing.

Thanks.

DuderinoAB
10-15-2006, 09:45 AM
I'm a resident of Indiana. Luckily I live very close to the Ohio border, so I just go to a friend's house to play. Your state of residence has nothing to do with it being illegal for you to play poker in a state. Its based on your location at the time that you commit the act of gambling. If a resident of California gambles online while physically in Indiana, he is guilty of a class B misdemeanor (not that he'd be arrested for it). If I go to Ohio when I gamble, I'm not doing anything illegal (at least not according to Indiana law and I'm pretty sure what I'm doing is completely legal...someone inform me if not).

mpslg
10-15-2006, 10:06 AM
Do you really go to a friend's house in Ohio just because it is a Class B Misdemeanor to play poker in Indiana? Please tell me there is another reason.

Indiana
10-15-2006, 10:09 AM
i'm playing in Indianapolis right now. Come lock me up.

Indy

Nonononono
10-15-2006, 10:15 AM
Yeah, being arrested is not my major concern right now. But the way things are developing, we may end up with very few sites willing to accept business from residents of "illegal" states.

skipperbob
10-15-2006, 10:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Indy

[/ QUOTE ]

Living there is penalty enough; lockup would be superfulous /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Indiana
10-15-2006, 10:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Indy

[/ QUOTE ]

Living there is penalty enough; lockup would be superfulous /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha. Welcome SFB. Actually, living in Indiana is much much better than living in California. You guys get soooooooo fleeced by your gov't I don't even know where to begin. Also, houses there cost so much and will be dropping over the next few years. Plus ur football teams all suck.....Indiana is the nuts man.

Indy

permafrost
10-15-2006, 01:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm a resident of Indiana. Luckily I live very close to the Ohio border, so I just go to a friend's house to play. Your state of residence has nothing to do with it being illegal for you to play poker in a state. Its based on your location at the time that you commit the act of gambling. If a resident of California gambles online while physically in Indiana, he is guilty of a class B misdemeanor (not that he'd be arrested for it). If I go to Ohio when I gamble, I'm not doing anything illegal (at least not according to Indiana law and I'm pretty sure what I'm doing is completely legal...someone inform me if not).

[/ QUOTE ]

In Ohio the codes say it is a misdemeanor if you make a "substantial" income playing. That is probably weaker than Indiana law, but there it is. You decide.