PDA

View Full Version : I can't play online poker anymore

John_Manley
10-14-2006, 10:50 PM
There is no word that can describe my feelings and beliefs regarding the ban on online gaming (specifically poker). For the last three years I have looked forward to playing several hours of online poker everynight after work. It kept me on an even keel, it was the perfect diversion. My wife jokingly would remind me that playing poker was my avocation rather than my vocation. She's right. I make about $500,000 a year with my actual job. Now, with the current legislation I have reservations. I am by no means a lawyer or have any inside information regarding the new laws. I am aware that the average poker player will not be affected and the law is aimed at the poker sites and the financial instituions. If I were just a losing player it probably would not matter; however, I occasionally will withdraw nice checks from Neteller. My bank has never questioned these deposits (atleast as far as I know). Of couse I have always paid my taxes etc. My accountant asks "Why do you play poker?". I say because I love the game. Unfortunately now I have enough concern to stop. I have too much to lose. I personally do not want to be the government example of what can happen if you play poker online. I can see some IRS agent talking to some other government agent regarding my winnings/losings online (because I pay my taxes) and he says "well I'll bust his ass". Well, maybe I'm paranoid; but, I do not think it's out of the realm of possibilities. If I were a professional poker player I would be playing right now. I hope that our congress and elected officials will recognize that most poker players are average people that want to play a little poker. Poker online is a simple liberty that I enjoyed living in the U.S. that has been taken away.
I have always voted republican; however, I will vote democrat this year. If Heath Shuler, the democrat opponent to the incumbent Charles Taylor wins by one vote; it will be my vote that did it. Hopefully he will unite with the other democrats to carve out some form of online gaming bill that we can have.

Indiana
10-14-2006, 10:56 PM
ur too paranoid. no way the gov't comes after you. As a native north carolinian myself, I am rooting for Heath. I am also a life-long repub now going democrat. GL 2 u. I have to be honest, even if i knew there were a huge risk I'd still take it because my love of this game is so great.

Indy

LVcardjunkie
10-14-2006, 10:57 PM
paranoia, bees hummin' in ya ear

5thStreetHog
10-14-2006, 10:59 PM
Another useless post hoorayyy

5thStreetHog
10-14-2006, 11:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Another useless post hoorayyy

[/ QUOTE ]Sorry,not trying to be harsh lol,i feel ya bro /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Thats Interesting!
10-14-2006, 11:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, maybe I'm paranoid; but, I do not think it's out of the realm of possibilities.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you try to walk through a wall, its not out of the realm of possiblilities that one day you'll actually make it happen. Although you might have to do it more times then even the Universe might allow. It's still a mathmatical possibility that it will and can happen.

For someone who makes $500K, you sure are a chicken. Most people I know who makes $500K + are hard core risk takers, pushing the law to the max if not exceeding it everyday.

John_Manley
10-14-2006, 11:07 PM
okay.

Starfish
10-14-2006, 11:11 PM
Ever considered using a helmet when driving car? If you aim to eliminate all the smallest risks in your life, you should already use the helmet. There must be web pages somewhere with great ideas for small risks elimination. Or books.

MiJ305
10-14-2006, 11:11 PM
yea dude seriously , posts about the online poker world coming to an end, is so last week ...

murph0110
10-14-2006, 11:30 PM
not sure what the 500 grand has to do with anything, thanks for letting us know, moron...

lesson for all readers - morons can make lots of money (or they can really lie to try and seem important)... hahahhaha

kslghost
10-14-2006, 11:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I can see some IRS agent talking to some other government agent regarding my winnings/losings online (because I pay my taxes) and he says "well I'll bust his ass".

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe this is illegal.

NiceCatch
10-14-2006, 11:38 PM
Give the guy a break. He has a lot more to lose if he gets nailed for playing poker online than most of us.

And the whole risk-taking issue? Poker players, of all people, should know that the risk has to be worth the reward. The money that the OP makes at poker is clearly not worth the risk, or significant to his personal wealth.

5thStreetHog
10-14-2006, 11:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Give the guy a break. He has a lot more to lose if he gets nailed for playing poker online than most of us.

And the whole risk-taking issue? Poker players, of all people, should know that the risk has to be worth the reward. The money that the OP makes at poker is clearly not worth the risk, or significant to his personal wealth.

[/ QUOTE ]What does that mean "gets nailed",do you mean arrested for playing poker? Im not sure thats a real threat here,and for sake of arguement if it is,and he was thrown in jail,just because he has more money that makes his freedom more valuable than someone making 50k?????Not in my mind.

BarbarianX
10-15-2006, 12:09 AM
guess he was tryin to make a point
guess you thought he was braggin
guess there is always a moron that has to make wise comments about all posts that are not made by pros or cynical people

StellarWind
10-15-2006, 12:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
There is no word that can describe my feelings and beliefs regarding the ban on online gaming (specifically poker). For the last three years I have looked forward to playing several hours of online poker everynight after work. It kept me on an even keel, it was the perfect diversion. My wife jokingly would remind me that playing poker was my avocation rather than my vocation. She's right. I make about $500,000 a year with my actual job.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm really sorry Dr. Frist. My heart goes out to you /images/graemlins/wink.gif.

Seriously, this isn't going to happen under the current laws. If you are only playing and not involved in the industry no one is going to touch you. The social, political, legal, and practical problems with prosecuting are essentially insurmountable.

Right now they are not even prosecuting major affiliates who violate the law in plain sight of everyone.

BTW, my tax return says "gambling winnings". The words online, poker, and illegal do not appear.

murph0110
10-15-2006, 12:32 AM
yah, thanks moron....

hahahahha

Colonel Kataffy
10-15-2006, 12:42 AM
John,

quit being a little bitch.

rivercardbandit
10-15-2006, 12:46 AM
I wish everyone would quit looking at this as a Dem/Rep issue. Both parties are to blame for this crap. I don't know much about Shuler and his positions, but I would be curious what his stance is regarding online poker. Hopefully you have better choices than I have. Ben Nelson (encumbent - D) vs. Pete Rickets (R) and both are opposed to online poker. Lee Terry (R) not up re-election and also opposed to online poker. Also, Tom Osborne and Chuck Hagel represnt my state (Nebraska) and they're opposed to it also. All of the above currently serving in Congress are worthless and the person trying unseat Nelson is nit-wit as well. None of the above would be a great choice /images/graemlins/mad.gif

Fhil Ivey
10-15-2006, 12:49 AM
Is this a joke post? I guess he's making fun of all the pros that played for a living over the last 3 years.

Botchman
10-15-2006, 12:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
you sure are a chicken.

[/ QUOTE ]

Botchman
10-15-2006, 12:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I can see some IRS agent talking to some other government agent regarding my winnings/losings online (because I pay my taxes) and he says "well I'll bust his ass".

[/ QUOTE ]

this is illegal.

LearnedfromTV
10-15-2006, 12:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If Heath Shuler, ...

[/ QUOTE ]

The qb?

Sniper
10-15-2006, 01:41 AM
fwiw, if you are paying your taxes properly, the IRS isn't sharing your info with anyone...

besides.. it is not illegal to play poker...

10-15-2006, 01:49 AM
Have you ever heard of anyone who makes 500K a year use the phrase "after work."?? Do you grab you lunch bucket and punch out at 5PM?

Seriously, anyone making 500K a year who has the time to for "several hours of online poker everynight after work" is not working hard enough at their job.

udbrky
10-15-2006, 02:17 AM
Wow, that's crazy - that's the Heath Shuler that played at Tennessee and for a few NFL teams! I didn't know that.