PDA

View Full Version : Weak means strong, but does strong mean weak?

Farfenugen
01-29-2006, 05:38 PM
After reading Mike Caro's book I have really tried to hone down my reads on other people's tells in live play. One of the things I have noticed is that the feigning weakness tell is very reliable. I find that when players show very visible weakness(looking away, very soft voice, soft bet) it means they are strong.

But, I have not found the opposite to be true. In most cases players who act very strong are actually strong. I have not found this to be a very reliable tell.

What are your thoughts on this?

deacsoft
01-29-2006, 06:36 PM
It is very dependent upon the player. I'm not sure what limits you play, but I would find this most common in lower limit games. Players give these weak signals when they are strong without knowing it. They do not know enough to try to act strong when weak. It is far more common to see weakness when strong than strongness when weak, so your observation does not surprise me.

Dan BRIGHT
01-29-2006, 07:20 PM
I switch it up depending on who my opponent is. If my opponent is a good player, sometimes I toss chips at them with my mosters (ie sets) so they call my exaggerated bet.

etc

AncientPC
01-30-2006, 12:12 PM
Fastplay is the new slowplay, or so I've heard.

dun_noo
01-30-2006, 01:45 PM
I've run into tons of situations where strong means VERY strong. It's not a static rule.

duqpoker
02-01-2006, 12:21 AM
is it possible that these other players have read Caro too? If they know what you know they are able to use what you know against you. Maybe you should focus on the other tells from the book they as just as easy to find in a live game.

Dan BRIGHT
02-01-2006, 01:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Fastplay is the new slowplay, or so I've heard.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought that refered to something like the following:

I raise QKo, tag 3bets me out of the SB, I call. We are headsup.

Flop is: 9JT
Tag bets, I raise, Tag 3bets I call

Turn: 4
Tag bets, I raise, tag calls

galahad_187
02-01-2006, 02:57 PM
you have to decide which people show caro's tells, and which tells they use often.

Theres this one guy i saw at my last AC trip that was what i call a Caro Textbook Patient (CTP) and i swear everything in that book that guy had down perfectally - which saved made me, and the guy to my left alot of money.

caro's book is fantastic for basic understanding, but like everything else in poker; it's player dependant.