PDA

View Full Version : Party possibly changing their position

snowbank
10-14-2006, 02:38 AM
I e-mailed Party interested in why Stars decided that the new US law didn't effect them because poker was a game of skill(on their website), and why Party had decided to shut down US customers instead. Their response made me think that they are considering a change in their stance. Just seems a lot different from an e-mail they sent me a couple weeks ago when this all started. Here's today's:

Dear XXXXXX,

The act has made unlawful the receipt by a gaming business of proceeds
or monies in connection with ýunlawful Internet gamblingý. The act does not clarify U.S. law regarding the type of activities that constitute unlawful gaming. However, as the first piece of Federal legislation
dealing explicitly with Internet gaming, it does make clear that the U.S.
government intends to stop the flow of funds from Americans to online
gaming operators through criminal sanction to the extent that Federal or
State law applies to the activity itself. The act also asserts that,
under U.S. law, a wager must be permitted under the laws of both the
player and the operatorýs place of residence.

At this moment of time we will not be able to comment if we are reverting our decision.

For more information about the passing of the Unlawful Internet
Gambling Enforcement Act of 2006, please check the link given below
https://secure.partyaccount.com/faq/us_legislation.htm

NOTE: Your Account username and password are confidential information.
No one from the company will ever ask for your password in a phone call
or email. Do not respond to any requests that ask for your password.

Bharat
PartyPoker Customer Care

pipedreamz
10-14-2006, 02:43 AM
interesting, their board really is incompetent

jlkrusty
10-14-2006, 03:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The act does not clarify U.S. law regarding the type of activities that constitute unlawful gaming...
...At this moment of time we will not be able to comment if we are reverting our decision.

[/ QUOTE ]

The incompetence of such a large company is incredible. It would have been much better P.R. for the company to originally state, "The impact of the new law is unclear. As such, we are temporarily suspending U.S. accounts until we can learn the full impact of this law. However, we hope to be able to re-open accounts in the near future."

Instead, their initial response is, "all U.S. accounts will be closed indefinately...."

Now, after they see that other companies will still accept U.S. players, they seem like they may be having second thoughts... what a bunch of morons!

Well, I've had enough. Even if Party Poker reverses their stance, I will most likely never return to their site.

Canard
10-14-2006, 03:57 AM
Can one 'revert' a decision?

rubbrband
10-14-2006, 04:01 AM
party sucks anyways who cares

jlkrusty
10-14-2006, 04:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Can one 'revert' a decision?

[/ QUOTE ]

"Retract" is the better verb.

Semantics aside, Party Poker just seems to be falling behind the ball on so many things! They should have fought harder before this bill was ever passed. They should have not relied upon the PPA for their lobbying effort. They should have had the automatic form email letter pop up several months ago. They should have not made such a hasty decision about preventing U.S. players. And the "should haves" continue. They are making too many mistakes, and I prefer to never play there again even if they do retract what they have said.

Leader
10-14-2006, 04:08 AM
Reading something into party support emails is probably about as effective at predicting the future as reading fortune cookies.

BenA
10-14-2006, 04:10 AM
If Party comes back... I'm boycotting.

tehDiceman
10-14-2006, 04:11 AM
I like party's program layout better than stars, dont know if I would switch back yet though.

Zele
10-14-2006, 04:12 AM
It's not a boycott if it's in your self-interest anyway.

Push_Fold
10-14-2006, 05:20 AM
Of course Party will be back. Party always has and probably always will be run as stupidly as possible.

Now - "Uh....we better close all U.S. accounts"
Latter - "Uh...welcome back!?"

suzzer99
10-14-2006, 05:47 AM
Fish tend to stay where they are. PP is in real danger of not being able to get them back ever. Really wonder that they're thinking, if anything.

MrBeers
10-14-2006, 06:06 AM
Amen, but then again I tried to switch to Full Tilt and over two hours later I still have not received a validation code for my email adress. I used there chat option and have been waiting for over an hour. Maybe there is something to be said for Party Pokers support. At least they have a phone number to call, even if it is hard to understand those Indian accents.

King Spew
10-14-2006, 09:20 AM
You guys who say "I'm never going back"...... I lol in yo face.

Where the fish school up, the sharks will follow.

MiJ305
10-14-2006, 10:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll come back

fish+unmentionable+resizable windows=$$$$$

CutCreator
10-14-2006, 10:39 AM
i think the reasonable response is, "i'll go back if it gets back to the way it was"

if the weak players are there, im going to play there. everything else is an episode of all my children.

Indiana
10-14-2006, 10:44 AM
My name-a Bharat. I come to do online poker ban in Kazahstan...dumb ass party.

Indy

Ryendal
10-14-2006, 10:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll come back

[/ QUOTE ]

I am interested on why you think resieable windows is an argument here

Little_Luck
10-14-2006, 11:19 AM
The only good side if they come back is they will probably offer decent bonuses again. Then again, its party. I emailed yesterday to have them cash out one of my step 4's I had left over. They sent me a long response about the monster promo and how they came to a decision to end it and refund the players involved. They made no mention of my step 4 or how to reclaim it.

Dusseldorf
10-14-2006, 11:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll come back

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

he probably has a small monitor and needs to 4-table

MiJ305
10-14-2006, 11:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll come back

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

because Full Tilt doesnt have them , and Stars doesnt have rakeback ...i used to 8table on party pretty easily , now im 4tabling FT..probably going to have to buy a new monitor ...

Harkey
10-14-2006, 12:23 PM
Give me a break.

If Party came back, and the games were as soft as they were before the bill was signed (never mind how likely or unlikely that is), almost all of you who played there before would rush right back there to play again---as would I. Business (money-making) usually wins out over intangibles such as pride.

As far as Party being incompetent, that's to be expected from a company run basically by four people with no real management experience (at least not at the level they're using it at). But they're not in the same position that we are. They already have more money than they can probably spend in their lifetimes. I don't blame them a bit for protecting themselves. I don't like it, but I certainly can't blame them.

Eponymous
10-14-2006, 01:15 PM
Once everyone moves to a new site, I don't see a rush back to Party if they re-open their games to US customers. Fish who only played Party and nowhere else will get a chance to experience the better software on Stars, FTP, etc., and not have a reason to go back. If there's a silver lining to this whole UIGEA, it's that it may have made Stars and FTP the permanent #1 and #2 sites, which would be great.

Paulpop72
10-14-2006, 02:08 PM
Wouldn't surprise me if they would change their position. Early this morn at 12:30, I checked out an $11 one-table SNG and it took at least 5 minutes to fill up!

In the old days (TWO days ago) it probably would have taken about 30 seconds or so!

Poofler
10-14-2006, 02:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Once everyone moves to a new site, I don't see a rush back to Party if they re-open their games to US customers. Fish who only played Party and nowhere else will get a chance to experience the better software on Stars, FTP, etc., and not have a reason to go back. If there's a silver lining to this whole UIGEA, it's that it may have made Stars and FTP the permanent #1 and #2 sites, which would be great.

[/ QUOTE ]

Besides inertia, I think a factor just as powerful is fish-paranoia. Seems like every time I go to a table, it's fish chatting about that whatever site I am on is going to get raided by the Federal government, and all the money will be gone. Some seem to think Party was coerced and the Feds just haven't gotten around to every one else. So, with all the disinformation and paranoia, I really can't imagine these fish voluntarily returning to the site that got most of them worried in the first place.

ImOnWheels
10-14-2006, 02:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too!

Who am I kidding? I'll be pissed but how can you not play on the softest tables on teh planet?

Python49
10-14-2006, 02:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
While I would love the idea of boycotting party just to punish and put them out of business for making such a haste decision to drop all its american players, its just not a plausible idea that a bunch of sharks are going to stay off party if a bunch of fish are swimming around just for some boycott.

Thebes
10-14-2006, 03:31 PM
I would imagine that the prudent legal move for Party at this point would be to plan on banning only certain states, and to aquire legal opinions from certain other states Attny Generals regarding the legality of poker in those, hopefully allowed, states.

ericicecream
10-14-2006, 05:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The only good side if they come back is they will probably offer decent bonuses again. Then again, its party. I emailed yesterday to have them cash out one of my step 4's I had left over. They sent me a long response about the monster promo and how they came to a decision to end it and refund the players involved. They made no mention of my step 4 or how to reclaim it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dear Little Luck:

I have forwarded kindly your request to our marketing department which will reviewing your requests and advice you urgently as possible. If you shall have any further requests in the meantime please contact me and I will be glad to assistance you.

Please do not share your password with anyone who claiming to be a member of Party Poker.

Best wishes,

Jimhad

Artsemis
10-14-2006, 05:27 PM
Those claiming party is better because of RB...

I'm opening a new site that rake's $1 for every dollar in the pot, then I'll give 90 PERCENT RB to the winner of the pot!

Xhad
10-14-2006, 05:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Fish tend to stay where they are. PP is in real danger of not being able to get them back ever. Really wonder that they're thinking, if anything.

[/ QUOTE ]