PDA

View Full Version : CNBC Online-poker segment (x-post)

MicroBob
10-13-2006, 09:10 PM
Tonight's CNBC segment on online-poker including a discussion with Annie Duke, Mike Sexton, and the PPA guy (Mike Bolacek or something??) is available for viewing on their website.

Annie represents 'the cause' extremely well imo.

http://moneycentral.msn.com/cnbc/tv/cnbcvideohighlights.aspx

edit - might only be able to view it in internet-explorer. I am unable to see it via firefox.

Keyser.
10-13-2006, 09:29 PM
As much as we all hate Annie, she still did a really good job.

Gomez22
10-13-2006, 09:29 PM
Thanks for the link, MB. Nice little segment for online poker, but still alot of work to be done.

PS - I like how Sexton "hoped the US gov't would look into regulating and taxing it first" when he was asked if the next step was a court battle/litigation.

PA32R
10-13-2006, 09:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Tonight's CNBC segment on online-poker including a discussion with Annie Duke, Mike Sexton, and the PPA guy (Mike Bolacek or something??) is available for viewing on their website.

Annie represents 'the cause' extremely well imo.

http://moneycentral.msn.com/cnbc/tv/cnbcvideohighlights.aspx

edit - might only be able to view it in internet-explorer. I am unable to see it via firefox.

[/ QUOTE ]

That Bolcerek looks like some kind of wierd robot.

As for Annie, well, I'd hit it.

5thStreetHog
10-13-2006, 09:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Agreed,the good job part lol,never hated her.

billye
10-13-2006, 09:50 PM
Annie Duke was really good. Awesome debate skills!

norsgod
10-13-2006, 09:53 PM
To little to late. Where was Mike Sexton and Party Poker six months ago? Maybe we would have had, at least, a debate on the senate floor.

busguy
10-13-2006, 09:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is the guy who is leading the fight on Capitol Hill the 3rd best speaker in this group of 3 ?

This guy sucks at public speaking. He seriously needs to recruit someone much quicker on their feet than himself, to be the face for, and speaking on behalf of the PPA.

ericicecream
10-13-2006, 09:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
To little to late. Where was Mike Sexton and Party Poker six months ago? Maybe we would have had, at least, a debate on the senate floor.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that helps. Maybe they should just go away and not try?

Cair Paravel
10-13-2006, 10:05 PM
One problem is that the law says a "game involving chance" not a "game of chance". Big difference there, as clearly chance is involved in poker.

Kevmath
10-13-2006, 10:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is the guy who is leading the fight on Capitol Hill the 3rd best speaker in this group of 3 ?

This guy sucks at public speaking. He seriously needs to recruit someone much quicker on their feet than himself, to be the face for, and speaking on behalf of the PPA.

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't watched this yet, but it seems every time he's on TV, no one likes how he does in the appearance. Maybe he should hire someone better suited for dealing with the media to be the PPA president and Bolcerek could do what he's better suited for, whatever that is.

5thStreetHog
10-13-2006, 10:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't watched this yet, but it seems every time he's on TV, no one likes how he does in the appearance. Maybe he should hire someone better suited for dealing with the media to be the PPA president and Bolcerek could do what he's better suited for, whatever that is.

[/ QUOTE ]There was actually a funny post i read here months ago,around the time the original bill passed the house.The PPA president was here talking about one of his first tv appearences.A reader,not knowing the guy on tv was him,said "its great you guys got on tv ,but you should fire that idiot that you had representing you".Michael responded by saying "id have to fire myself cause that idiot was me" lol.He then admitted he wasnt a very good speaker and hoped to hire or obtain someone better suited for public speaking for debates.Funny story,but its been months now and he never got the "public speaker" he spoke of to help the PPA`s public appearences.

Uglyowl
10-13-2006, 10:55 PM
He is slowly getting better. Still not great, but not as bad.

IndyFish
10-13-2006, 11:00 PM
They should make Annie Duke their spokesperson. She did a helluva job getting her points across.

TryTight
10-13-2006, 11:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
One problem is that the law says a "game involving chance" not a "game of chance". Big difference there, as clearly chance is involved in poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Must have overlooked this before, good point.

bulldawgblue
10-13-2006, 11:54 PM
Why the hell don't they hire a LAWYER or a PR guy to go on tv? I don't mean to be the cynic, but anyone of us could have went on and made the points Annie, Mike, and that mutant made. It reminded me of when they interview witnesses of a neighborhood fire.

I also think their next step of carving out poker as a game of skill is retarded. Do they realize that non-poker players will never understand that? They just sound like a bunch of degenerates to the outside world. They need just take the stance of adult americans having the right to do what they want with their money.

comments/replys welcome

Gobias Ind.
10-13-2006, 11:56 PM
Anyone else who clicked on this link see that Heath Schuler is running for Congress? I hope he's not as big of a political bust as he was in the NFL.

RikaKazak
10-13-2006, 11:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
They should make Annie Duke their spokesperson. She did a helluva job getting her points across.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.

The ppa guy sounded as bad as if I had to do it...now that's BAD!

kidpokeher
10-14-2006, 12:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No doubt. Michael, please hire Annie Duke and get off the air. You're not comfortable in front of a camera.

lowsarider
10-14-2006, 12:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
He is slowly getting better. Still not great, but not as bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

We dont have time for "slowly getting better"

lowsarider
10-14-2006, 12:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I also think their next step of carving out poker as a game of skill is retarded. Do they realize that non-poker players will never understand that? They just sound like a bunch of degenerates to the outside world. They need just take the stance of adult americans having the right to do what they want with their money.

comments/replys welcome

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe not retarded but I see your point.

5thStreetHog
10-14-2006, 12:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Why the hell don't they hire a LAWYER or a PR guy to go on tv? I don't mean to be the cynic, but anyone of us could have went on and made the points Annie, Mike, and that mutant made. It reminded me of when they interview witnesses of a neighborhood fire.

comments/replys welcome

[/ QUOTE ]I disagree,i think mike and annie are both good choices and despite you being correct in that anyone of us could have said what they said,it helps tremendously that these two are both people the average player might recognise and thus give them time and actually listen.

7n7
10-14-2006, 01:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.

The ppa guy sounded as bad as if I had to do it...now that's BAD!

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish Mr. PPA hadn't said, "People want to gamble; they want to play poker" all in the same sentence.

Annie obviously did some preparation beforehand. Kudos to her for that.

Python49
10-14-2006, 01:05 AM
IM NEVER SAYING ANYTHING NEGATIVE ABOUT ANNIE DUKE AGAIN, HER DEBATE SKILLS SENT SHIVERS UP MY SPINE DAMMIT!

Was a breath of fresh air having someone who can intellectually debate our cause be on tv instead of PPA president.

tehDiceman
10-14-2006, 01:19 AM
Annie Duke is friggen hot, end of thread. :-)

I refuse to use IE, so I won't be able to see that video. If someone finds it on another site, post it up.

metsandfinsfan
10-14-2006, 01:26 AM
awesome video. Awesome job by duke and sexton

ubercuber
10-14-2006, 01:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do we hate Annie? I've always liked her, although I don't know her personally.

I thought she did well too. Sexton wasn't stellar, but he has a great presence. Is this the first time these three have teamed up? This is way overdue.

Lawman007
10-14-2006, 02:33 AM
Too bad this wasn't two months ago on a TV show that somebody actually watches, but Annie did do a magnificent job. Still way too little, way too late, though.

RemyXO
10-14-2006, 02:57 AM
Well, dang it, now I understand why the PPA couldn't and can't do jack [censored]. With spokespeople like that the only thing you can do on the Capitol Hill is sell t-shirts. And that will be a money-losing business also.

Annie for PPA president! Love her!

J-Mac
10-14-2006, 03:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Too bad this wasn't two months ago on a TV show that somebody actually watches, but Annie did do a magnificent job. Still way too little, way too late, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Chris Elliot
10-14-2006, 03:52 AM
This was pretty much the stupidest thing he could have said.

They obviously planned this segment to be in favor of online poker, and he completely blew it.

[quoteI wish Mr. PPA hadn't said, "People want to gamble; they want to play poker" all in the same sentence.

[/ QUOTE ]

jlkrusty
10-14-2006, 03:58 AM
The PPA needs a new spokesman. Annie Duke and Mike Sexton were great, but the PPA President was (once again) awful.

Chris Elliot
10-14-2006, 04:04 AM
Mike Sexton sounded like a moran, but at least he has southern appeal.

jimpo
10-14-2006, 04:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]

This product requires Microsoftİ Internet Explorer 6, Microsoftİ Media Player 10, and Macromedia Flash 6. To download these free software applications, click the links below and follow the on-screen instructions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bah! OK I am not watching your stupid video then.

PBJaxx
10-14-2006, 04:26 AM
Honestly, we have to give credit where credit is due. The PPA is working HARD for people like us, while we sit here typing, criticizing, and generally being unkind. Thank you very much for everything you are doing.

This absolutely needed to be said! I really respect the guys standing up and doing something while most of us just bitch.

That all being said, they should consider hiring (or designating) a new spokesperson for the organization.

[ QUOTE ]

I wish Mr. PPA hadn't said, "People want to gamble; they want to play poker" all in the same sentence.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dammit...this is brutal. I know it had to be a nerve-racking situtation, and he did an all right job. It was only one mistake, but we got a mountain to climb. One mistake is tough to deal with, and besides, he is just hard to listen too, at least when he is nervous.

Leaders are prideful when it comes to their personal ability to present, sell, and entertain. He may be a great leader, but he is hurting the cause by acting as the spokesman. It shouldn't be his job. I am sure he has no problem hiring a plumber, an accountant, or a decorator. They do their job better than he could (without a lot of learning). Please apply this mentality to this position and hire someone else to do this job.

Thanks for the link, and thanks to the PPA for standing up and fighting for us all.

-Jaxx

Xhad
10-14-2006, 04:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, you could tell this was kind of a flub/attempt to recover thing from the way he stumbled through the sentence.

Annulus
10-14-2006, 05:26 AM
I actually watched the segment twice. Its actually pain to watch the PPA guy speak. He looks so uncomfortable that he makes weird facial gestures while he is speaking. His face actually looks like a deer in headlights. He also has horrible body language. He is doing all of us who have donated money an injustice. Public speaking is not for everyone.

And I agree Annie Duke totally carried that segment. She was articulate, well informed and complety prepared for this broadcast. Much like her brother always is when in the public eye.

DuderinoAB
10-14-2006, 08:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey we agree on something!

Jan
10-14-2006, 08:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Annie for PPA president!

[/ QUOTE ]

tangled
10-14-2006, 09:45 AM
I thought Duke did well too.

Sexton had the best line when he said that he has never heard of anyone who didnt believe poker was a game of skill. I think that just drove the point home and served as a solid punctuation to that discussion.

I do think there was one giant problem with the piece that everyone is overlooking. The trio gave the distinct impression that online poker is, now, not safe because respectable sites have complied with the intent of congress and gone away. This is not good because the casual player will be more reluctant to go around the obstacles this law creates in order to play poker online.

This last point is a little nit-picky, but unless this law fails to substantially do what it is intended to do, creating a poker carveout will be almost impossible to achieve.

Overall it was a good segment.

MicroBob
10-14-2006, 09:58 AM
Yes, I agree.

I've seen other segments (including on CNBC I believe) where it was specifically mentioned how ineffective the legislation will be in the first place because:

1. It doesn't make PLAYING poker on the internet illegal at all (lots of people don't know this I suspect)
2. It is borderline impossible to enforce and anybody who wants to play will easily be able to do so.

The topic never quite came up with this particular host but it should be on the poker-guest trio to go out of their way to point this stuff out.

However, they are all relatively new at this stuff and presenting every aspect of their case so quickly under live-television pressure is kind of tough so I'll cut them some slack (I only saw it once and am going off of memory...but I'm pretty sure they didn't get to this topic).

I do think they made some other very good points.

Sexton's line about everybody pretty much agreeing that poker is a skill-game indeed did drive home an important point.

But they were on for about 6 minutes talking about this and it wouldn't have been too tough for them to mention that any American who wants to play is going to easily be able to continue doing so anyway.

SlapPappy
10-14-2006, 10:12 AM
Better late, than never.

2OuterJitsu
10-14-2006, 10:26 AM
The universal answer to "protecting people from themselves" should be the lighting of a cigarette.

Ron Burgundy
10-14-2006, 10:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I do think there was one giant problem with the piece that everyone is overlooking. The trio gave the distinct impression that online poker is, now, not safe because respectable sites have complied with the intent of congress and gone away. This is not good because the casual player will be more reluctant to go around the obstacles this law creates in order to play poker online

[/ QUOTE ]

I think in the short term, it's better if casual players will still continue playing as if nothing happened. But in the long term, our goal should be legalization, and that won't happen unless masses of people get pissed off enough to swamp the politians with letters and calls. There's a much better chance of that happening if casual players feel that the government has been succesful in infringing on their personal freedom.

driller
10-14-2006, 10:41 AM
Of course we can play. I played today on PokerStars. But I don't have the opportunity to play on Party where I've been playing mostly for the last 3 yrs because they chose to freeze the U.S. players out. Even though Stars has a better rep than Party, I wonder if it will stay that way now that the competetion is MUCH less. Any way you look at it, your money is more secure at a publicly traded company (like party) than at a private company (like stars).

The problem I have with PPA is they didn't do enough to stop this. They are locking the door after the horse is long gone.

Also programs like this who have 3 representatives from the poker community are "preaching to the choir" for all of us, but perceived (correctly) as blatant propaganda by those who are opposed to gambling (internet or otherwise) or are even neutral. Sorta like having the CEO's of EXXON, Shell, and BP talk about the merits of offshore drilling or drilling on the game preserve in Alaska.

kailua
10-14-2006, 12:23 PM
Better than expected

An extremely sympathetic host

Annie was articulate and on point ( rooting against her will never carry the same passion)

Mike came across as respectable and made a nice end piece.

Mike B. (aka mr. uncomfortable) needs to remain on Capitol Hill and off camera. He should have been the best prepared with an assuring message; instead, he tapped on the tank.

MicroBob
10-14-2006, 12:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
your money is more secure at a publicly traded company (like party) than at a private company (like stars).

[/ QUOTE ]

I have always felt my money was MUCH safer at Stars than it ever was at Party and I'm sure many 2+2'ers feel the same.

Party = irresponsible, slimy, borderline incompetent, shaky software
Stars = professional, classy, probably more secure

Ron Burgundy
10-14-2006, 12:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Any way you look at it, your money is more secure at a publicly traded company (like party) than at a private company (like stars).

[/ QUOTE ]

Most ridiculous statement I've read on this forum in a long time.

Coy_Roy
10-14-2006, 01:12 PM
READ: Public vs Private, which is safer? (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=law&Number=7630548&Search page=1&Main=7630548&Words=+Coy_Roy&topic=&Search=t rue#Post7630548)

llayner
10-14-2006, 01:40 PM
The PPA needs a better PR guy that doesn't slip up and refer to it as gambling - have we learned nothing from Bush and Rove???

smak
10-15-2006, 12:39 AM
I think Annie would be perfect as a spokesman in these type forums.

She's a normal looking single mother of 4 kids, who happens to be a professional poker player.

Having her in front of the camera helps poker's image in general.

Dooper
10-15-2006, 01:56 AM
Good segment. It's important to the PPA stance to never ever refer to poker as gambling. It's sad that the front man forgot.

Annie and Mike did well. I kept expecting them to point to the exception for horse racing as well as fantasy games and lotteries and highlight the hypocrisy involved, but I think they, especially Annie, did a good job pointing out the unreasonability of protecting everyone from the failures of a few.

Whitewash
10-16-2006, 04:28 PM
The segment is no longer on the CNBC video highlights page... anyone know where I can find it?

Impact
10-16-2006, 05:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The segment is no longer on the CNBC video highlights page... anyone know where I can find it?

[/ QUOTE ]

ultraman
10-16-2006, 05:28 PM
Here is a direct link that still appears to work.

Hosting site requires IE6. A commercial plays before the actual video.

CNBC Video (http://video.msn.com/v/us/v.htm?g=58e19ac9-3a6f-4d07-80e7-bc3ef2d80d79&f=rssmoney&fg=rss&f=15/64rssmoney )