PDA

View Full Version : Letter from Senator H. Reid regarding new law

flub
10-13-2006, 06:21 PM
This is the letter I just got from Senator Harry Reid from Nevada about the internet gambling situation. You'll notice at the end he encourages us to share our thoughts with the Dept of Treasury and the Federal Reserve.

------------------------------------------------

October 13, 2006

Mr. XXXXXX XXXXX

XXX XXXXXXX XXXXXX.

Las Vegas, Nevada 89XXX

Dear Mr. XXXXX:

Thank you for contacting me to express your opposition to legislation that restricts Internet gaming. I appreciate hearing from you.

In July, the House passed Representative Bob Goodlatte's (R-VA) Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act (H.R. 4411). In an effort to pass similar legislation in the Senate, Senator Bill Frist (R-TN) attached the Internet gambling measure to the SAFE Ports Act (S. 2459) at the last minute. The port security and Internet gambling legislation was approved 409 to 2 in the House and on a voice vote in the Senate on September 30, 2006.

Under the new law, gamblers will no longer be allowed to pay for online wagers with credit cards, checks, or other bank instruments. However, the final legislation does not include the early provisions that would have updated the Wire Act of 1961 by forbidding the transmission of betting over telephone lines to specifically outlaw online gambling through any communication network.

I understand your frustration with the Internet gaming ban. I can assure you that I was disappointed with the Majority Leader's inclusion of an Internet gambling ban in an unrelated bill that plays an important role in protecting our nation from the threat of terrorism. I was also dismayed that the Minority Party was denied the ability to participate in the political process and be involved in the negotiations of the conference report. Consequently, those who opposed the online-gaming ban had no realistic opportunity to object.

After the president signs the bill, regulatory rules will be developed by the Federal Reserve, Justice Department, and Federal Reserve. I would encourage you to share your thoughts with them directly at:

U.S. Department of Justice U.S. Department of the Treasury

950 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW 1500 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW

Washington, DC 20530 Washington, DC 20220

(202) 514-2141 (202) 622-1900

Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System

Twentieth and Constitution Avenue, NW

Washington, DC 20551

(202) 452-3456

In the meantime, you may be certain that I will continue to fight for Nevada's interests in Washington. Should Congress revisit this issue, I will keep your views in mind. Again, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me. I look forward to hearing from you in the near future.

My best wishes to you.

Sincerely,

A

HARRY REID

United States Senator

HR:ss

tehDiceman
10-13-2006, 08:35 PM
At least you got a reply, I've received nothing back from either of mine.

iamastud
10-13-2006, 08:51 PM
Got the same letter back, except, of course, our names. Shame he wasn't able to do a dam thing about this. I wonder what his vote on the bill was. I'm sure he voted for it regardless of the attachment. Isn't Washington politics wonderful?

JdT
10-13-2006, 09:01 PM
I'd like to see someone write to senator H. Reid in support of the bill and see what kind of letter you get... then post that letter to same thread. $50 says it's version 1.b

flafishy
10-13-2006, 09:22 PM
Because of the way this stuff works, I guarantee that a lot of senators and representatives voted for this because they had no choice -- the could not vote down the port act. Probably there were a few who didn't even know the Internet Gambling act was part of the bill.

PA32R
10-13-2006, 09:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Because of the way this stuff works, I guarantee that a lot of senators and representatives voted for this because they had no choice -- the could not vote down the port act. Probably there were a few who didn't even know the Internet Gambling act was part of the bill.

[/ QUOTE ]

And in the Senate, they don't even lose cover on a voice vote. "Mr. Reid, did you vote against the act?"

"Umm... did you want me to?"

Greg Miller
10-14-2006, 02:41 AM
Cut the man some slack. He's too busy dealing with the fallout from his crooked Las Vegas land deal and denouncing Republicans who talk dirty to barely-legal boys to worry about legislation.

iron81
10-14-2006, 03:48 AM
Reid has a decent idea with regard to contacting the agencies responsible for writing the regulations. Often times when regs are written, the agency is required to do a public comment period before they are finalized and take public comments into consideration. It might be worth a shot to try to write looser regs.

rubbrband
10-14-2006, 04:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The port security and Internet gambling legislation was approved 409 to 2 in the House and on a voice vote in the Senate

[/ QUOTE ]
Let me clairify, These poloticians had to vote for the Port Security Act because "it was an imptotant piece of legislation to fight terrorism". Congress was about to end and no time to rehash the bill. Basicly the sneaky republican majority put this bill in at the last minute so nothing could be done to stop it.