PDA

View Full Version : ISP Blocks.... does anyone have an answer??

ArtMonkRules
10-13-2006, 06:10 PM
Once they send the ISP's a list of gambling web sites to block... what will happen if pokerstars.com, fulltilitpoker.com, etc. are on that list? What happens then? How will we get around it? They wouldn't be able to block the client software accessing the site would they? Couldn't they just change the ip address daily? I would appreciate it if someone with an expert knowledge in this area reply.

dd323
10-13-2006, 06:14 PM
From the language in the law as I read it, the only ISP that can be forced to block access to a site, is the ISP that hosts that site. In other words, as long as pokerstars and fulltilt's servers are not hosted by a US ISP the Justice Department has no ability to make them comply.

demon102
10-13-2006, 07:53 PM
just read an article earlier today that they have tried this in the past to block links to gambling sites and all the sites had to do was change the sites address and there back to operation as usual

Sniper
10-13-2006, 09:56 PM
This part of the legislation will primary impact affiliate (and other advertising) hosted on server farms based in the US.

Starfish
10-13-2006, 10:06 PM
What about Washington? Didn't they ban some gambling sites there? Did they use ISP blocks?

What do you think, would it be possible that getting access to gambling information will be banned, like getting access to information for cracking copyrighted stuff? Either by just banning the sites promoting that kind of information in USA, or even with ISP blocks?

That could mean the end of this forum too. Or censorship of all the discussion here that is related to online gambling. That would be interesting situation.

Also maybe the book publishers are currently removing all the references to online gambling from upcoming poker books too. So you couldn't give strategy information that is usefull in online games - only B&M stuff. I wonder if Mason would still support the way bills are passed and whole the system...