PDA

View Full Version : Post from poker site banning 11 states only!??!?!(why state specific?)

snowbank
10-13-2006, 03:17 AM
copied from the e-mail:

Dear XXXXXXX,

In light of recent legislative changes in the United States we will no longer be able to accept online gaming transactions from you based on the provisions of the ‘Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act’. This act will come into effect once signed into law by the President, which is expected to happen on Friday 13th October 2006.

This new ruling applies to all new and existing players residing in the States listed below.

1. Illinois
2. Indiana
3. Louisiana
4. Michigan
5. Nevada
6. New Jersey
7. New York
8. Oregon
9. South Dakota
10. Washington
11. Wisconsin

Once the Bill is signed, your account will be locked and any remaining cash balance (less bonuses) will be returned to you within 7 days via your preferred method of payment.

If you have been incorrectly identified as residing in one of these States, or if you have recently changed your address and not notified us, please contact customer support to have your account status reviewed.

Rest assured that we will continue to monitor the legislative situation and if there are any changes, we will immediately advise you.

We are extremely disappointed with this legislation and we would like to extend our sincere thanks for your continued loyalty and support to the poker room. In the unlikely event that this Bill remains unsigned by the President then your account status will be unaffected.

If you have any queries or would like to find out more, please do not hesitate to contact support via support@battlefieldpoker.com

Yours Sincerely,

BattleField Poker Support

Synergistic Explosions
10-13-2006, 03:30 AM
Seems like this list of states keep getting longer by the hour.

Xhad
10-13-2006, 03:32 AM
It probably has something to do with how tough those state laws are on gambling online. It's a felony in WA to play, for example.

Guthrie
10-13-2006, 03:42 AM
Because the Taliban has only taken over 11 states so far.

Zele
10-13-2006, 03:45 AM
My understanding is the Ports bill will make accepting funds for "illegal gambling" a crime. So these sites are worried that taking action from players in states with laws banning online poker is now a federal crime, though they are not worried about the rest of the US since there is no federal law which makes online poker a crime.

pikachu
10-13-2006, 04:40 AM
Not sure why New York, New Jersey, and Wisconsin are on the list. I believe online gambling is considered illegal in the other eight states.

Disclaimer: I am a pokemon, use the information in this post at your own risk.

Losing all
10-13-2006, 04:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Because the Taliban has only taken over 11 states so far.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can see Michigan and Jersey, but Oregon?

StellarWind
10-13-2006, 04:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Not sure why New York, New Jersey, and Wisconsin are on the list. I believe online gambling is considered illegal in the other eight states.

[/ QUOTE ]
IIRC Intertops banned NJ long ago because of some protectionist law pushed through by AC gaming interests.