PDA

View Full Version : 10:00am tomorrow, the die will be cast

Mr.K
10-12-2006, 10:10 AM
Sources inside Congress tell me that the SAFE Ports Act, which contains the UIGEA, will be signed at 10:00am tomorrow by the President. I believe CSPAN will be carrying the signing ceremony live -- but I am not sure where the signing will be held. Seems possible they might try a thematic location or backdrop somewhere at a major port.

BluffTHIS!
10-12-2006, 10:18 AM
Thanks for the headsup Mr. K, albeit a gloomy one. I am surprised nrog didn't beat you to it /images/graemlins/smile.gif. Where has that boy been?

jrz1972
10-12-2006, 10:21 AM
Out of curiosity, why did Bush wait so long to sign this? I always just assumed that Presidents signed legislation more or less immediately if they were going to sign at all.

Was he just trying to squeeze in a few more hands at Party or what?

DuderinoAB
10-12-2006, 10:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably

Wynton
10-12-2006, 10:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Out of curiosity, why did Bush wait so long to sign this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Clearly, so he could sign on Friday the thirteenth.

jimmytrick
10-12-2006, 10:29 AM
Waiting for the Foley mess to smooth over a bit so he could get some media coverage out of the signing.

TruePoker CEO
10-12-2006, 10:34 AM
"Seems possible they might try a thematic location or backdrop somewhere at a major port.'

Nah, probably at a Korean restaurant. .... expect that sort of tie-in to the current news.

whangarei
10-12-2006, 12:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am surprised nrog didn't beat you to it /images/graemlins/smile.gif. Where has that boy been?

[/ QUOTE ]

They've got ads up at Pocket Fives asking for money.

BluffTHIS!
10-12-2006, 12:13 PM
So they have exhausted their personal funds that they said they were willing to use on their efforts? Wow, that lobbyist they refused to name must have been expensive, or they just didn't have a lot of personal funds to start with /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

. . . or they'r just a scam.

Guthrie
10-12-2006, 12:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Out of curiosity, why did Bush wait so long to sign this? I always just assumed that Presidents signed legislation more or less immediately if they were going to sign at all.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's not like the President wakes up every morning and wonders what to do with his day. Every minute is scheduled well in advance. If there's any propagnanda value in a signing ceremony, then they need time to schedule it for maximum value to the Taliban.

excession
10-12-2006, 12:46 PM
nah - at a racetrack surely !

Busted_Flat
10-12-2006, 12:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The President has been traveling around the country on your tax dollars raising funds for the GOP the past couple of weeks. He does not have time to mess with stuff like signing bills into law.

roxtar
10-12-2006, 12:58 PM
I wonder, if he mentions it at all, if Bush will butcher the phrase "internet gambling".

Harkey
10-12-2006, 01:05 PM
Friday (tomorrow) is the last day Bush can sign the bill before it automatically becomes law (10 days). He waited this long to get the maximum positive effect for the elections.

SoftcoreRevolt
10-12-2006, 01:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I wonder, if he mentions it at all, if Bush will butcher the phrase "internet gambling".

[/ QUOTE ]

The words will escape his lips and he'll then say "Wait, this means I can't qualify for the Monster Freeroll? That thing is like 20 million dollars. I'm not missing out on that!" and rip the Safe Ports Act up.

iron81
10-12-2006, 01:25 PM
One odd thing about the scheduling for the signing is that Friday is traditionally the day people try to release bad news. The theory is that very few people read the Saturday paper or watch the TV news Friday night. Normally, when someone releases information on a Friday, they are trying to bury it. I wonder what is going on. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Lawman007
10-12-2006, 01:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Friday (tomorrow) is the last day Bush can sign the bill before it automatically becomes law (10 days). He waited this long to get the maximum positive effect for the elections.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, like him signing this stupid bill is going to get the cover-up of the gay pedophile Republican congressman out of the headlines. LOL

roxtar
10-12-2006, 02:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
gay pedophile Republican

[/ QUOTE ]

You forgot "alcoholic".... It's gay pedophile ALCOHOLIC republican.

smashoneout
10-12-2006, 02:37 PM
Gay pedophile alcoholic abused-by-priest Republican?

STALLOWN3D
10-12-2006, 02:40 PM
10:00am Eastern correct?

Sniper
10-12-2006, 02:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This wasn't the only bill to pass in the last week of congress... he's been signing plenty of stuff over the last 2 weeks... presumably he reads it, before signing /images/graemlins/wink.gif

wonderwes
10-12-2006, 03:04 PM
"Do something along with grace, punch a republican in da face!"

The_Scout
10-12-2006, 03:05 PM
Anyone willing to predict when Party will lock out U.S. players from the real money games? Will they restart the server, or will it be an attrition thing where American players just can't sit down? I envision a competition developing to see who can be the last American to give up their seat.

otctrader
10-12-2006, 03:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone willing to predict when Party will lock out U.S. players from the real money games? Will they restart the server, or will it be an attrition thing where American players just can't sit down? I envision a competition developing to see who can be the last American to give up their seat.

[/ QUOTE ]

If there's one thing Party is good at besides collecting rake, it's causing disconnects. So it will probably be pretty efficient /images/graemlins/smile.gif

blackize
10-12-2006, 04:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
One odd thing about the scheduling for the signing is that Friday is traditionally the day people try to release bad news. The theory is that very few people read the Saturday paper or watch the TV news Friday night. Normally, when someone releases information on a Friday, they are trying to bury it. I wonder what is going on.

[/ QUOTE ]

He has to sign it so he can use the good publicity from it. They wanted to wait until the Foley scandal blew over a bit, but after 10 days the bill becomes law without his signature. I believe this Friday is the 10th and final day.

Kamakize
10-12-2006, 04:12 PM
If you look at this:

"If any Bill shall not be returned by the President within ten Days (Sundays excepted) after it shall have been presented to him, the Same shall be a Law, in like Manner as if he had signed it, unless the Congress by their Adjournment prevent its Return, in which Case it shall not be a Law."

That means TODAY the 12th is the offical 10th day. But with Congress not in session. This could be argued that it past the 10th day and bill could not be returned.

NL Rounder
10-12-2006, 04:21 PM
I hope somebody at the ceremony scatters a deck of cards in the wind when he signs this.

Suigin406
10-12-2006, 04:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Waiting for the Foley mess to smooth over a bit so he could get some media coverage out of the signing.

[/ QUOTE ]

yea, that controversy may finally be dying....dang...freakin republicans...

Jack Bando
10-12-2006, 04:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you look at this:

"If any Bill shall not be returned by the President within ten Days (Sundays excepted) after it shall have been presented to him, the Same shall be a Law, in like Manner as if he had signed it, unless the Congress by their Adjournment prevent its Return, in which Case it shall not be a Law."

That means TODAY the 12th is the offical 10th day. But with Congress not in session. This could be argued that it past the 10th day and bill could not be returned.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was given to him on the 3rd/4th.

Wynton
10-12-2006, 04:59 PM
Shouldn't we do something dramatic at the moment he signs the bill, to mark the occasion?

Perhaps, we can go all-in at the instant he signs the bill.

Or maybe we should make final withdrawal requests from Party at precisely that moment.

crzylgs
10-12-2006, 06:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you look at this:

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, except congress has not adjourned but are just on recess.

Mr.K
10-12-2006, 06:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you look at this:

[/ QUOTE ]

It was given to him on the 3rd/4th.

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct -- bills are not technically presented to the President by Congress for several days after it is passed, at least under usual circumstances. Bills that have been passed have to be "enrolled," which is done by the Enrolling Clerk's office in the House. This process takes some time, esp in the case of bills that are amended a great deal at the end. Once the bill is enrolled, a copy is signed by the Speaker of the House and the President Pro Tempore of the Senate (or his/her designee), and then that bill goes to the President.

In the case of the SAFE Port Act/UIGEA, the bill was presented to the President on Oct. 3. So in other words the 10 day clock has not run out.

noddyholder
10-12-2006, 06:20 PM
I have read so much about this lately and I am still confused. I can't imagine we won't be able to play online anymore, but it sure sounds like it. And then I read that it depends how you read it and we will be able to get around it. Is this really the end of online poker? If so what is wrong with these people that you can't play poker online? I know there are plenty of answers here. This country is really in bad shape and it sure isn't because of poker.

ncboiler
10-12-2006, 06:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sources inside Congress tell me that the SAFE Ports Act, which contains the UIGEA, will be signed at 10:00am tomorrow by the President. I believe CSPAN will be carrying the signing ceremony live -- but I am not sure where the signing will be held. Seems possible they might try a thematic location or backdrop somewhere at a major port.

[/ QUOTE ]

With that in mind could it be signed on Carribean island?

BluffTHIS!
10-12-2006, 06:29 PM
Mr. K,

In addition to what you just said, 10 days doesn't count Sundays.

Mr.K
10-12-2006, 07:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Mr. K,

In addition to what you just said, 10 days doesn't count Sundays.

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct.

Vern
10-13-2006, 08:44 AM
From C-Spans Webiste:

THIS WEEK ON C-SPAN

Friday, Oct. 13
Pres. Bush signs H.R. 4954, the SAFE Port Act
On C-SPAN at 10am ET

Edit: The AP story (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061013/ap_on_go_pr_wh/bush):

[ QUOTE ]
But the president was not planning to mention the Internet gaming provision during Friday's White House signing ceremony, which was expected to draw lawmakers from both parties.

[/ QUOTE ]

Edit2: Tomorrow's Headline: C-Span's ratings spike.