PDA

View Full Version : How big is the chance that the law will get canceled?

aflaba
10-12-2006, 12:13 AM
How big is the chance that the law will get canceled before the 270 days are up?

Is it very slim? Or moderate?

Copernicus
10-12-2006, 12:14 AM
zero

bluey
10-12-2006, 12:16 AM
laws arent cancelled

maurile
10-12-2006, 12:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
zero

[/ QUOTE ]

Lawman007
10-12-2006, 12:18 AM
zilch

CORed
10-12-2006, 12:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
How big is the chance that the law will get canceled before the 270 days are up?

[/ QUOTE ]

About as big as a neutrino.

Chesters Dad
10-12-2006, 12:24 AM
100% sure it's cancelled in 270 days.

also 100% sure that in the next 270 days W and Rummy and Frist will declare that they are a 3some and declare 3 way gay marriage legal and be the first ones to do it.

Lawman007
10-12-2006, 12:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
W and Rummy and Frist will declare that they are a 3some and declare 3 way gay marriage legal and be the first ones to do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

That would certainly explain A LOT.

TobDog
10-12-2006, 12:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
W and Rummy and Frist will declare that they are a 3some and declare 3 way gay marriage legal and be the first ones to do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

That would certainly explain A LOT.

[/ QUOTE ]

POTD

NFuego20
10-12-2006, 12:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The law isn't getting canceled....everybody is right. However instead of giving a one word response and contributing to the all too prevalent negativity on this board, as you may see in other posts, current efforts relate to additional legislation carving out poker from the law along with horse racing and lotteries which are already excluded.

However in my opinion the greatest hope is simply that for the time that this law stands as is, it is just simply unenforceable and payment avenues such as Neteller remain available to all...thus taking away any teeth the law may have and having a minimal overall effect on the accessibility of games.

[censored]
10-12-2006, 12:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

our educational system at work folks /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Lawman007
10-12-2006, 12:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you bet he dropped out of high school to be an online poker pro? lol

mpethybridge
10-12-2006, 12:51 AM
any chance we could save all the nasty attitudes for our elected representatives that voted for this idiotic law?

Uglyowl
10-12-2006, 01:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
any chance we could save all the nasty attitudes for our elected representatives that voted for this idiotic law?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto. There is alot of confusion out there on the internet. I can't blame people for being confused (hell, I might be /images/graemlins/confused.gif )

candyman718
10-12-2006, 02:54 AM
Right after the Schoolhouse Rock Special on Saturday's "How a bill becomes a law" came "How a law becomes cancelled"

Jack Bando
10-12-2006, 09:28 AM
Best hope it has no teeth and is completely ignored. Like how some towns have antiquated laws stating you must wear a hat under penality of jail. Ignored now.

MicroBob
10-12-2006, 09:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
laws arent cancelled

[/ QUOTE ]

jackaaron
10-12-2006, 09:33 AM
Is it possible he meant to ask whether Bush wouldn't sign it the bill?

If so, the chance is still extremely small. Since we are "possibly" on this subject, would there even be any reasons Bush would not sign this in? I can't think of any.

Marc H
10-12-2006, 09:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would agree but I think the OP is not an American.

mhcmarty
10-12-2006, 09:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]

However in my opinion the greatest hope is simply that for the time that this law stands as is, it is just simply unenforceable and payment avenues such as Neteller remain available to all...thus taking away any teeth the law may have and having a minimal overall effect on the accessibility of games.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe this is the most likely out come.

icemanjmw
10-12-2006, 10:39 AM
Possible, maybe even probable, but there is still one problem with that outcome.

While many poker players will get around this if it's not enforced too hard, there are A LOT of casual players who either won't know how to do it or will be afraid to for fear of going to jail.

Now who do you think is going to try hardest to keep playing poker? People who win money (and a few who just think they are winners).
Who is going to move on to a new pasttime? Fish who follow the latest fads and flavors of the week, they will find something else to waste there money on.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe this is the most likely out come.

[/ QUOTE ]

Suigin406
10-12-2006, 10:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm pretty sure they teach this stuff in middle school...

CORed
10-12-2006, 11:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Is it possible he meant to ask whether Bush wouldn't sign it the bill?

[/ QUOTE ]

Bush has 10 days to sign or veto the bill. He's not going to veto it. If he does not act within 10 days after the bill passes both houses, it becomes law without his signature. The only exception to this is if Congress adjourns before the 10 days are up. In that case, if the bill is not signed within 10 days, it is "pocket vetoed" and is dead.

rando
10-12-2006, 01:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Bush has 10 days to sign or veto the bill.

[/ QUOTE ]

How are the 10 days measured? By my count it's been 12 already... is it business days, or am I just using too many fingers on each hand?

Harkey
10-12-2006, 01:12 PM
That's the exact reason he waited until Friday (tomorrow): that's the last day he can sign it before it automatically becomes law. He waited that long to get the maximum effect for the elections.

Lawman007
10-12-2006, 01:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That's the exact reason he waited until Friday (tomorrow): that's the last day he can sign it before it automatically becomes law. He waited that long to get the maximum effect for the elections.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, like him signing this stupid bill is going to get the cover-up of the gay pedophile Republican congressman out of the headlines. LOL

steveyz
10-12-2006, 03:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As far as I know, Congress is not in session anymore for the pre-election break. So if he doesn't sign it tomorrow, it's a pocket veto.

kevin017
10-12-2006, 03:55 PM
maybe he'll forget?

kevin017
10-12-2006, 03:57 PM
and, i'm by no means a dropout, and it wasn't until this legislation came about that i realized how shameful my knowledge of law-making was. its not as hard as you all think to not have what you consider basic knowledge.

AlexM
10-12-2006, 04:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm pretty sure they teach this stuff in middle school...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure they don't "teach" a damned thing in either. Hard to call what they're doing in schools "teaching". :P