PDA

View Full Version : Cardplayer Reports STARS IS IN!

Tupacia
10-11-2006, 06:01 PM
Apparently Cardplayer learned moments ago that Stars will continue its U.S. operations even when Bush signs!

Cardplayer Article (http://cardplayer.com/poker_news/news_story/1485?class=PokerNews)

okterrific
10-11-2006, 06:02 PM
weeeeeeeeeeee

kevstreet
10-11-2006, 06:02 PM
Woot!

Lee? Confirmation please, just for fun.

Someone
10-11-2006, 06:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Lee? Confirmation please, just for fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fat City
10-11-2006, 06:07 PM
Stars is going to be up over 100,000 next week..

A_C_Slater
10-11-2006, 06:08 PM
VICTORY!!!!!

Indiana
10-11-2006, 06:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Stars is going to be up over 100,000 next week..

[/ QUOTE ]

I've always loved stars the most. Hell, they supported me for the 2005 ME and I'd never leave them....never.

Indy

BluffTHIS!
10-11-2006, 06:09 PM
Party Poker: "The world's medium-sized poker room"

Poker Stars: "The world's largest poker room"

DMoogle
10-11-2006, 06:10 PM
I haven't played there since I was playing $.05-$.10 Limit (because they don't charge a rake at that level), but I'm still pretty happy about this. From what I've heard, they are by far the most well-run poker site out there.

hotbacon
10-11-2006, 06:17 PM
YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

BadLieutenant
10-11-2006, 06:18 PM
Lee....official statement??

IndyFish
10-11-2006, 06:19 PM
PokerStars rocks. Now I may actually have a chance at clearing these bonuses...

CutCreator
10-11-2006, 06:19 PM
before i start masterbating to this news, i want to read it directly from stars.

kjellstrom
10-11-2006, 06:20 PM
yippee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!! this is fantastic news!! i'll wait for absolute confirmation from good ol' lee but i'm quite optimistic at this point /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

kjellstrom
10-11-2006, 06:23 PM
group hug everyone!

Baked67
10-11-2006, 06:23 PM
[censored] YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jack Bando
10-11-2006, 06:25 PM
VINDICTAION!

MiJ305
10-11-2006, 06:26 PM
Need confirmation before i believe it's true...

ZBTHorton
10-11-2006, 06:27 PM
It will be on the website soon. Just breathe guys.

Vern
10-11-2006, 06:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
VINDICTAION!

[/ QUOTE ]
Vindements?

costanza_g
10-11-2006, 06:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.fotosearch.com/comp/RBL/RBL152/A1_45.jpg

Tupacia
10-11-2006, 06:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ZBT, I assume this jives with what your sources have been telling you? Thanks a lot for all your hard work in keeping us updated on the situation. Everyone on this forum owes you a debt of gratitude.

247boss
10-11-2006, 06:37 PM
that earlier report that i posted from www.pokerroomreview.com (http://www.pokerroomreview.com) must be accurate, seems like now www.cardplayer.com (http://www.cardplayer.com) (http://cardplayer.com/poker_news/news_story/1485?class=PokerNews) is saying the same thing and www.pokernews.com (http://www.pokernews.com) (http://www.pokernews.com/poker-faq/online-gaming-bill-poker-ban.htm) as well.

great news for the online poker community!

ZBTHorton
10-11-2006, 06:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ZBT, I assume this jives with what your sources have been telling you? Thanks a lot for all your hard work in keeping us updated on the situation. Everyone on this forum owes you a debt of gratitude.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.pokerstars.com/legislation/uigea/

Synergistic Explosions
10-11-2006, 06:42 PM
So many sites are openly defying the merits of the new legislation that I figured Stars would also.

Once the banks took a hardline stance on this legislation, it really had no teeth.

The man who shoved this attachment into the Port bill is looking at federal charges for insider trading involving millions of dollars in profits. Makes Martha Stewart look like an angel.

The party that shoved this idiocy on us wont be the majority in the house and senate in a few months.

The bill that was supposed to cripple us poker players will turn out to be nothing more than hot air, since the banks won't be required to help and they won't do it on their own. The ISP's won't do anything on their own, and in the months to come, nobody in politics will even care if they do or not.

The new legislation is nothing but smoke.

The new party that will be in control understands what the real issues are concerning this country. Online gambling isn't one of them.

It's time for the crazy christians to lock themselves in their houses, board up the windows, take shelter in their storm cellars. Then they should stay there for the next 100 years. They almost destroyed our great country, and it's going to take a long long time to repair what they did. But that starts now, in the next election, and many elections to come.

TryTight
10-11-2006, 06:59 PM
This is so great! I hope the religious right finds out this is what happens when you leave Republicans in office. They sneak poorly written bills onto Homeland Security bills and it blows up in their face.

kevstreet
10-11-2006, 07:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So many sites are openly defying the merits of the new legislation that I figured Stars would also.

Once the banks took a hardline stance on this legislation, it really had no teeth.

The man who shoved this attachment into the Port bill is looking at federal charges for insider trading involving millions of dollars in profits. Makes Martha Stewart look like an angel.

The party that shoved this idiocy on us wont be the majority in the house and senate in a few months.

The bill that was supposed to cripple us poker players will turn out to be nothing more than hot air, since the banks won't be required to help and they won't do it on their own. The ISP's won't do anything on their own, and in the months to come, nobody in politics will even care if they do or not.

The new legislation is nothing but smoke.

The new party that will be in control understands what the real issues are concerning this country. Online gambling isn't one of them.

It's time for the crazy christians to lock themselves in their houses, board up the windows, take shelter in their storm cellars. Then they should stay there for the next 100 years. They almost destroyed our great country, and it's going to take a long long time to repair what they did. But that starts now, in the next election, and many elections to come.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very passionate... well done sir!

Jeffage
10-11-2006, 07:13 PM
I agree 100 percent. I'm ashamed to say I've never voted for anything but President. That changes now - I will be pulling the Democratic switch across the board.

Jeff

Synergistic Explosions
10-11-2006, 07:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I agree 100 percent. I'm ashamed to say I've never voted for anything but President. That changes now - I will be pulling the Democratic switch across the board.

Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me add one more thing I just found out. I had no idea that the lobbyist who urged this legislation to be passed, the lobbyist working for the NFL who had Fantasy sports excluded, the lobbyist whose firm was paid $700k to get this legislation included before congress convened, the lobbyist who was none other than Frists own legal counsel in the past.

This is just to much Republican BS for profit than even I can handle. These guys must go.

Steven
10-11-2006, 07:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yessssss

this is just so awesome /images/graemlins/wink.gif

ADS
10-11-2006, 07:30 PM
I think you are overestimating Party in your post.

AaronL
10-11-2006, 07:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Here is the text of the message (since it is short)...

<<
PokerStars.com - Our business continues as before

Dear PokerStars Player -

As you are probably aware, the United States Congress recently enacted the Safe Port Act which contains provisions relating to Internet gambling.

PokerStars has received extensive expert advice from within and outside the U.S. which concluded that these provisions do not alter the U.S. legal situation with respect to online poker. Furthermore it is important to emphasize that the Act does not in any way prohibit you from playing online poker.

Therefore, our business continues as before - open to players worldwide including the US. You may play on our site as you did prior to the Act.

PokerStars believes that poker is a game of skill enjoyed by millions of players and we remain committed to providing you a safe and fun environment in which to play. We value your loyalty to PokerStars, and look forward to continuing to serve you with the best online poker experience, as we have for the past five years, six billion hands, and 40 million tournaments.

PokerStars Management
>>

m bozeman
10-11-2006, 08:01 PM
Awesome post, man! You got me fired up! I, along with many, will be joining you at the polls next month and voting Democrats across the board.

Sniper
10-11-2006, 08:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Awesome post, man! You got me fired up! I, along with many, will be joining you at the polls next month and voting Democrats across the board.

[/ QUOTE ]

You really should review the document that shows who voted for HR4411...

Greg Miller
10-12-2006, 02:25 AM
Speaking as someone with very libertarian political beliefs, even poker isn't enough to make me vote for freedom-hating liberal Democrats. They oppose nearly everything I stand for, and I oppose nearly everything they stand for. I'm just grateful that there's almost no chance they'll gain control of both houses of congress. That and the fact that Hillary is trailing Giuliani by 7 points for 2008.

Congrats to Stars on making the right decision, though. This makes me happy.

xJames2112
10-12-2006, 08:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Speaking as someone with very libertarian political beliefs, even poker isn't enough to make me vote for freedom-hating liberal Democrats. They oppose nearly everything I stand for, and I oppose nearly everything they stand for. I'm just grateful that there's almost no chance they'll gain control of both houses of congress. That and the fact that Hillary is trailing Giuliani by 7 points for 2008.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I am pretty much on the same boat here. The only Democrat I will be voting for is the Attorney General since the Republican incumbent is bat [censored] insane. Other then that it's libertarian or no vote for me.

Michael C.
10-12-2006, 08:33 AM
I think trying to inject your personal politics into this site is just a brilliant move. I think it's very easy to convince people on a sports or gambling site to change their beliefs to match yours, and it's really appropriate to the topic as well. If someone wants to talk about voting against someone who backed this bill, I'd say that's on topic. If someone wants to say "I like liberals/conservatives better than liberal/conservatives," I'd say it isn't. So why start up that path?

ronster71
10-12-2006, 08:50 AM
There is no need to stereotype all christians as crazy, or as supporting this bill. That is behavior similar to the very people you are attempting to chastise. It is the same as them looking at all poker players as lower class, gambling addicts, who need legislation to save them from themselves. I am a christian, a conservative, and a poker player. I, like everyone else, should be encouraged to think independently about each and every issue brought before me in life, and decide for myself what I support. This newfound I will never support christians or conservatives on any issue ever attitude is narrow-minded at best. I am against this legislation and was initially as angry at the republicans as you, but I will not use this opinion on this one issue, to launch into a political witch hunt of all conservatives and christians for years to come based on this. People who do such a thing are becoming but a tool and a pawn for the other side of politics. So I suppose in the end it is your decision, as it is with every day of your life...you can choose to be a leader, or a pawn

btspider
10-12-2006, 08:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You really should review the document that shows who voted for HR4411...

[/ QUOTE ]

Party Breakdown
Democrat Republican Independent
Aye 115 200 1
Nay 76 17 0
Absent 10 12 0

link (http://www.govtrack.us/congress/vote.xpd?vote=h2006-363)

rabiddog
10-12-2006, 08:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
There is no need to stereotype all christians as crazy, or as supporting this bill. That is behavior similar to the very people you are attempting to chastise. It is the same as them looking at all poker players as lower class, gambling addicts, who need legislation to save them from themselves. I am a christian, a conservative, and a poker player. I, like everyone else, should be encouraged to think independently about each and every issue brought before me in life, and decide for myself what I support. This newfound I will never support christians or conservatives on any issue ever attitude is narrow-minded at best. I am against this legislation and was initially as angry at the republicans as you, but I will not use this opinion on this one issue, to launch into a political witch hunt of all conservatives and christians for years to come based on this. People who do such a thing are becoming but a tool and a pawn for the other side of politics. So I suppose in the end it is your decision, as it is with every day of your life...you can choose to be a leader, or a pawn
my newly created page (http://www.marinepokerpro.bravehost.com)

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said.

68Mustang
10-12-2006, 09:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Religion is the root of all evil. This is just another example.

nmnewbie
10-12-2006, 09:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said.

[/ QUOTE ]

jdog1999
10-12-2006, 09:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen

Eaglebauer
10-12-2006, 10:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Will you tell the rest of your Christian Conservative brethren to now quit their hundreds of ongoing witchhunts and to desist from their single-issue ballot stuffing? Mmmmm'kay, thanks.

I'll be voting Democrat for the next three elections till you get that worked out. TIA.

jimmytrick
10-12-2006, 10:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That is all fine and well and good but the effect of all of this is that a bunch of people just minding their business were ATTACKED by Congress, it acting at the behest of FUNDAMENTAL CHRISTIAN interests, and these people and their generations will forever DEPISE christians of all stripe because of it.

Good game.

Auren
10-12-2006, 10:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

USA citizens really make this politic system work for those politicans. Everything bad is always blamed to party that is in power and other one gets the votes. Then same repeats in few years except for other party.

I wish someone ended the two party system and brought democracy to USA. Of coure that will never happen since it is decided by two parties that are in power and they will never pass laws that would make them lose power.

ronster71
10-12-2006, 11:09 AM
Are you supporting that as the correct way to do business??? Or are you merely stating what people will probably do???

I am merely stating that it is wrong to lump people who have one thing in common with all of their collective behaviors,

i.e. all teachers sleep with their students (various examples)

all poker players are cocaine addicts (Stu Ungar)

Eaglebauer
10-12-2006, 11:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Are you supporting that as the correct way to do business??? Or are you merely stating what people will probably do???

I am merely stating that it is wrong to lump people who have one thing in common with all of their collective behaviors,

i.e. all teachers sleep with their students (various examples)

all poker players are cocaine addicts (Stu Ungar)
*link deleted*

[/ QUOTE ]

All right-wing religious nutjobs feverishly support at least some political views/value I staunchly oppose (anti-stem cell research, single issue voting on religion/abortion, anti-science, anti-academia in general,anti-intellectualism, etc.... and now add anti-gambling now into the mix).

ronster71
10-12-2006, 11:21 AM
maybe so, but not all christians are "right-wing religious nutjobs"

Therefore please do not lump all of us into that category

dtan05
10-12-2006, 12:12 PM
HELL YEAH MOTHAFUCKAAASSSS

MadJim420
10-12-2006, 12:13 PM
Im from the UK but im really happy to see you guys still at the table. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

goldtoes
10-12-2006, 12:27 PM
wow you are all really ruining a really good post fast

Koss
10-12-2006, 12:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
maybe so, but not all christians are "right-wing religious nutjobs"

Therefore please do not lump all of us into that category

web page (http://www.marinepokerpro.bravehost.com)

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, you become "right-wing religious nutjobs" when religious ideology becomes a good reason to legislate the freedoms of others that have no impact on your lives. Governments have been doing this since the beginning of time. I could go on all day about why I feel organized religion is a bad thing for society, but I'll just leave it at that. It's one thing to be a Christian and live by your own set of beliefs. It's a whole nother thing to actually respect the beliefs of people who are different, and not try and force them to live by your rules. If your church doesn't think two men should be allowed to marry, then by all means feel free to keep it out of your church, but the government has no place in deciding that.

ronster71
10-12-2006, 12:45 PM
I completely agree with what you just said...I do not try to impose my beliefs on anyone, especially not through political means. Don't get me wrong, I am completely against the legislation and any right-wing religious lobbying to strong arm politicians to force legislation supporting moral beliefs on people...I think we agree with each other here...thus, supporting my point about not stereotyping.

Barcalounger
10-12-2006, 12:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Speaking as someone with very libertarian political beliefs, even poker isn't enough to make me vote for freedom-hating liberal Democrats. They oppose nearly everything I stand for, and I oppose nearly everything they stand for.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you might need to re-evaluate which party is more anti-libertarian at the moment...

Political ramblings aside, good work Stars! I've never been a customer, but look forward to playing on your site for the forseeable future. Now we just need to educate the fish on where to migrate to before we lose some of them...

xGREGORx
10-12-2006, 01:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

yep - voting will be easy this next go around, straight on the Democrat party line for me

jackaaron
10-12-2006, 01:12 PM
The US government is going to still make indictments against pokerstars employees. I think Stars even knows this. They just will argue that they didn't violate the bill since poker is "obviously" a game of skill. And, Stars probably already has their defense ready as we speak.

ronster71
10-12-2006, 01:20 PM
I agree...they are becoming an ugly monster as of late, I'm not defending them...back to the threads topic, I agree, funnel the fish to Stars and also to FT...Party Poker's loss

Eaglebauer
10-12-2006, 01:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
freedom-hating liberal Democrats.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. Could this lemmming be any more PWNED?

DeeJ
10-12-2006, 02:03 PM
it's on Reuters now they are saying poker is a game of skill but we knew that already /images/graemlins/grin.gif

i just wonder whether Lee Jones is planning a move to CostaRicaments??

Performify
10-12-2006, 02:46 PM
Other thread (with appearance by Lee Jones)
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=7627315

locking this one