PDA

View Full Version : BLOW AWAY MONEY

sasha
01-29-2006, 05:42 AM
After winning over 2k 8 hr session in 109stt, I blew 5 buy ins in 25nl.
After making carefull decisions for 8hr straight,i wanted to blow some steam off,and play like an idiot.I started going all in untill i blew 5 buyin,and it felt good.
Is this normall?

THAY3R
01-29-2006, 08:20 AM
Whenever i take some bad beats and fear i'm going to go on tilt, i'll drop down to low limits and blow off steam by playing crazy. It's soothing.

jkkkk
01-29-2006, 08:25 AM
Completely normal, don't worry about it too much.

Blackwolf
01-29-2006, 09:27 AM
Didn't Negreanu write something like this? Party weekend he would buyin into a small tourney (rebuy) and just play like crazy and after that playing his A-game for the rest of the month. I think this is a good way to get badbeats off you, help you concentrate on future sessions and have fun... I prefer to walk my dog after a long session out into the wood... there I can scream if a big badbeat just happend /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Mr. Now
01-29-2006, 09:51 AM
Not for everyone, but probably for you. Pay careful attention.

Keep records and see if your reckless little episodes are correlated with an overall improved win rate. If so, keep doing that.

Many highly disciplined market traders (who are famous for excellent long-term results) are known to engage in this practice. Taking risky and idiotic gambles with a very small and trivial amount of segregated equity earmarked for that purpose can provide a vent.

I notice you blew $125 of $2000 or 6.25 percent of your win equity.

You might try 1/3 of that and see if you get the same theraputic effects at a 2/3 discount.

You might try the activity before the main event instead of after and note any similiar and different effects.

Black winter day
01-29-2006, 08:28 PM
I've never wanted to blow off steam after winning,but i do think it's not a bad idea to go crazy in lower limits if you are getting tilted.

Dudd
01-30-2006, 02:14 AM
I just move in every hand in a couple of 5 buck tournaments, very soothing.

Allinlife
01-30-2006, 04:32 AM
i play play money when i feel like burning money

BluffTHIS!
01-30-2006, 05:21 AM
Next time you feel like letting off some steam, use that 2K to buyin on a 2K NL table and PM me to let me know which table. I'll close out one of my other tables to come play with you, unless of course you happen to sit on one I'm already on. Headsup is OK too.

Thanks,

Bluff

Dromar
01-30-2006, 05:27 AM
I do this too, after a successful session or two. I think it keeps me from getting careless. If I do nothing but win, I get careless, whereas if I just blow a little money at the end of a winning session, I start the next one ready to "make back the money I donked off."

captZEEbo
01-30-2006, 03:19 PM
instead of how everyone else blows off steam at lower limits...I try to have 100% vpip at the lowest stakes nl game but still MAKE money, it's not actually all that hard lol.

Bang584
01-30-2006, 05:33 PM
i guess it could be normal, but i would probably never do it. if i'm going to blow away money to relax, it will be on something other than poker.

Mr. Now
01-30-2006, 06:47 PM
Purposely blowing a trivial amount on obviously reckless gambles can be very theraputic for personalities that have alot of innate aggressive gamble in them.

Trivial on-purpose gambles can help maintain strong discipline in the main events, and can be part of a complete and personal system of strongly overall +EV methods.

It's not for everyone and it's not about relaxing per se, it's about venting that aggressive-gamble tendency and tension.

If you have not examined your own behavior and motives and therefore do not perceive and understand them, do not pretend you have any valid perceptions about your opponents.

Alix
01-30-2006, 07:09 PM
You are experiencing guilt of winning.

Getting rid of it would likely improve your results overall.

Mr. Now
01-30-2006, 10:48 PM
Elaborate.

sasha
01-31-2006, 02:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I have no guilt of winning what so ever.I play poker for a living.But after some r big wins,I noticed I blow some money away on -ev gambles

Pog0
01-31-2006, 02:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I have no guilt of winning what so ever.I play poker for a living.But after some r big wins,I noticed I blow some money away on -ev gambles

[/ QUOTE ]

Similar to tipping a dealer.

soko
01-31-2006, 04:47 PM
I don't know about you guys but when I am on tilt and I lose the first hand of a SNG pushing with crap, it tends to irriate me more and make me feel like a tool. I see no way that this helps "blow off steam"