PDA

View Full Version : 3 Prisoners

The Truth
01-28-2006, 09:52 PM
There are three prisoners, you and Prisoners A and B. Two of you are to be executed, while one will be pardoned. The prison warden knows who will be executed and who will be pardoned (like monty must know where the goats and car are). According to policy, the warden is NOT allowed to tell any prisoner if he/she is to be pardoned. You point out to the warden that if he tells you if A or B will be executed, he will not be violating any rule. The warden says C is to be executed. What is the chance that you will be pardoned?

blake

p.s. forgive me if this has been posted before.

New001
01-28-2006, 10:00 PM
<font color="white"> Still 1/3, isn't it? </font>

MathEconomist
01-28-2006, 10:01 PM
This was posted in probability a couple of weeks ago. It is exactly the same as the monty hall problem, just another way of phrasing it.

ElaineMonster
01-28-2006, 10:09 PM
Did you make a mistake? You said me and prisoners A and B. Warden says prisoner C will be executed. Am I prisoner C? Or did you make a mistake?

The Truth
01-28-2006, 10:44 PM
I copied it directly from Winki, and yeah I think it was a mistake. I didn't notice it til now. It is supposed to be one of the other guys not you /images/graemlins/smile.gif

blake

ElaineMonster
01-28-2006, 10:56 PM
<font color="white"> I think my chances of being pardonned are 2/3 </font>

soon2bepro
01-28-2006, 11:44 PM
your chances of being pardoned are 0%, in the cell the 3 prisoners are identified as A, B and you. Since C isn't A or B (at least if we can assume that by common sense), C is you and you're to be executed

soon2bepro
01-28-2006, 11:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I copied it directly from Winki, and yeah I think it was a mistake. I didn't notice it til now. It is supposed to be one of the other guys not you /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

in this case it's 50%. it is amazing that in this forum people are giving wrong answers to such an easy probability question

New001
01-28-2006, 11:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

in this case it's 50%. it is amazing that in this forum people are giving wrong answers to such an easy probability question

[/ QUOTE ]
Wikipedia: Monty Hall problem (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monty_Hall_problem)

MathEconomist
01-29-2006, 12:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I really hope that's supposed to be a joke.

maurile
01-29-2006, 12:41 AM
<font color="white">Let's change so that it makes sense: the warden says that B is to be executed.

From here it's a Bayes' theorem problem.

If you are going to be pardoned (prior = 1/3), the warden is 50% to say that A will be executed and 50% to say that B will be executed.

If B is going to be pardoned (prior = 1/3), the warden is 100% to say that A will be executed.

If A is going to be pardoned (prior = 1/3), the warden is 100% to say that B will be executed.

The warden says that B will be executed. So my chance at being pardoned is (1/3)(1/2)/[(1/3)(1/2)+(1/3)] = 1/3.</font>

soon2bepro
01-29-2006, 01:14 AM
wow. you guys are right. it's 1/3 (no, it wasn't a joke)

LadyWrestler
01-29-2006, 02:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
There are three prisoners, you and Prisoners A and B. Two of you are to be executed, while one will be pardoned. The prison warden knows who will be executed and who will be pardoned (like monty must know where the goats and car are). According to policy, the warden is NOT allowed to tell any prisoner if he/she is to be pardoned. You point out to the warden that if he tells you if A or B will be executed, he will not be violating any rule. The warden says C is to be executed. What is the chance that you will be pardoned?

blake

p.s. forgive me if this has been posted before.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="white">0%, if he is telling the truth.</font>

Have a great day! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

daryn
01-29-2006, 04:15 PM
how can you guys think that your original chances of being pardoned (33%) will be affected by what the warden says? he has to say something!
<font color="white"> i love these threads </font>

soon2bepro
01-29-2006, 04:21 PM
yup you're right daryn

daryn
01-29-2006, 04:27 PM
if you can.. switch! because of course, now the other guy has a 2/3 chance of being pardoned /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

_TKO_
01-30-2006, 12:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This was posted in probability a couple of weeks ago. It is exactly the same as the monty hall problem, just another way of phrasing it.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not the same; there is no option to switch.

In the Monty Hall problem, the chance that your current door will reveal a car is 1/3. The chance that the other door will reveal a car is 2/3.

In the 3 prisoners problem, the chance that you will be pardoned is 1/3. The chance that one of the other two prisoners will be pardoned is 2/3. With the given information, the chance that the other prisoner will be pardoned is 2/3. The chance that you will be pardoned is still 1/3.

UnitBubble
01-30-2006, 02:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not the same; there is no option to switch.

In the Monty Hall problem, the chance that your current door will reveal a car is 1/3. The chance that the other door will reveal a car is 2/3.

In the 3 prisoners problem, the chance that you will be pardoned is 1/3. The chance that one of the other two prisoners will be pardoned is 2/3. With the given information, the chance that the other prisoner will be pardoned is 2/3. The chance that you will be pardoned is still 1/3.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your lack of generalization will be your downfall.

_TKO_
01-30-2006, 02:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Your lack of generalization will be your downfall.

[/ QUOTE ]
/images/graemlins/confused.gif

UnitBubble
01-30-2006, 02:27 PM
OK fine. The whole game show thing with the switch or stay choices is just a word problem to "pretty up" the actual problem. Like "If I have three apples and then you steal one of my apples, how many apples do I have left?" is just a word problem to "pretty up" the expression 3-1.

Borodog
01-30-2006, 02:46 PM
Actually the expression 3-1=2 "pretties up" a class of problems similar to "If I have three apples and then you steal one of my apples, how many apples do I have left?"

UnitBubble
01-30-2006, 02:50 PM
That raises the whole "was math invented or discovered" argument, and apparently on that matter we disagree.

Borodog
01-30-2006, 03:09 PM
I don't think it raises that argument at all. Rather, expressions like "3-1=2" are merely a shorthand, a notational simplification that represents, "If you remove one thing from three things, you are left with two things."

The axiomatic deductive nature of mathematics is independent of the particular notation one employs to simply the process.

UnitBubble
01-30-2006, 03:43 PM
ohoh, I see what you mean now. You are right.

I didn't convey my ideas properly. Where I said "the expression 3-1" I should have said something like "the concept 3-1". Then, this argument would not have spawned.

Borodog
01-30-2006, 08:05 PM
No problem.

Peace.