PDA

View Full Version : DVD: Poker Secrets from Poker Champs

ECDub
01-28-2006, 01:39 AM
Just got this DVD today. It is about 3 hours of interviews with top players like Negreanu, Ivey, Forrest, McEvoy, Nguyen, Chan, Cloutier, etc. No secrets really, but what was interesting was that the interviews were from quite a few years ago, before the big poker boom. Cloutier talked about how the winner of the WSOP ME would always be a big name that had paid his dues and talked about how he was the leading money winner in the WSOP. Negreanu and Ivey discussing poker before they became Poker Superstars. McEvoy was the only person who even mentioned playing poker on the internet. It had not even became mainstream yet.

As far as strategy, the DVD would be worthless to anyone who posts here. It is a cool DVD to have to hear the pros tell poker stories and a little about the way they play. It would probably be nearly impossible to get these pros to sit down and make a DVD like this again. I think the DVD was made from originally released VHS tapes, so you might have seen it a few years back.

Starfish
01-28-2006, 02:18 AM
Thanks for a review! I was considering to order it with some books, but I think I'll get some additional book instead for it has no strategy. Yeah, I think it said somewhere that it was originally a VHS.

There's another DVD that should be more strategy, I think, but couldn't find it cheaper than $40. 2004 World Poker Players Conference.

deacsoft
01-28-2006, 06:24 PM
Though I wouldn't consider it "worthless" I would agree with your overall review. It is an interesting watch but has little value as far as strategy or "poker secrets" go.

deacsoft
01-28-2006, 06:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There's another DVD that should be more strategy, I think, but couldn't find it cheaper than $40. 2004 World Poker Players Conference.

[/ QUOTE ]

The 2004 World Poker Players Conference DVD is rather expensive but it is loaded with a lot of good info. Some of it you will already know. Some of it will be things that are disputed by other "poker authorities"*. Some of it you will find very valuable. It's well worth watching. Especially if you learn well in a classroom/lecture setting.

*This was in no way a direct reference to Ed Miller, "Noted Poker Authority"

Grumbo
01-30-2006, 03:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Though I wouldn't consider it "worthless" I would agree with your overall review. It is an interesting watch but has little value as far as strategy or "poker secrets" go.

[/ QUOTE ]

I respectfully disagree. I found extremely little value in this DVD. Even for a beginner, there are very few "secrets" to be learned. It is mostly a set of interviews of poker players discussing their best performances.

I am willing to sell this to anyone interested.