PDA

View Full Version : The facts: Living in a country where poker is illegal

Krungthep
10-02-2006, 01:13 AM
I am currently living in Thailand, a country in which poker is illegal. I will give you some facts about how it is to play poker here. The situation in Thailand and the future state of US is not the same, since poker is illegal in Thailand and to my understanding will not be illegal in the US.

- Since poker (and gambling) is illegal here NO credit cards issued in Thailand can be used to deposit in poker sites. This includes my Thai issued Citibank creditcard.

- Neteller does not allow persons living in Thailand to register for an account. I can not use Neteller but other services might work. I know ePassport does.

- Party Poker is not allowing people from Thailand to do deposits.

- The government has a special unit called the Cyber Police, which purpose is to search the net for sites they think violates the Thai law, such as poker, gambling, XXX etc. The Cyber Police then makes a "recommendation" to the ISPs to block all sites on the list provided by them.

Obviously all the above does not prevent me from playing online poker (also being a non-Thai citizen) but there is very, very few Thai citizens playing online poker although they are all more or less gambling addicts and love online gaming in general.

I am not saying that the situation will be the same in the US, but if things go really bad some of the above might happen in the US as well.

headturner1
10-02-2006, 01:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Thai citizens playing online poker although they are all more or less gambling addicts and love online gaming in general.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL!!!

I especially like the "gambling addicts" part, that is classic.