PDA

View Full Version : Using a Read to Delay a Raise

jfk
10-02-2006, 12:13 AM
My preference in this hand would be to buy 8 or more probable outs with the turn raise. The net gain of letting the professional see the river for free was 1BB.

Combining the range of the two players as interpreted by the author means any K, J, T, Q, 8 or club could crack that A4. The opportunity to cut that list way down is on the turn.

The professional may be respectful of the woman's hand and not raise the river if he hits his second pair. With the line taken in the hand it appears the lack of a river raise would be interpreted as his missing his hand and a river raise would still come from the author if the J or T hits and the pro doesn't pop it (the assumption being that he missed).

This is a big enough pot to try to increase winning chances at the turn, especially with the degree of confidence in the read which was expressed in the article. If a river raise is justified against the aggressive woman's described range, I'd much rather take the initiative on the turn.

Had a friend shared this hand with me I'd of been of the opinion that it was misplayed and he was quite lucky not to have been outdrawn.